Wanting to walk from port (Helsinki, Copenhagen,Amsterdam)

Hi

My hubby and I are on a Baltics cruise (Helsinki,Amsterdam, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Warnemunde, Copenhagen)

We know St Petersburg is out of the question walk wise and that Tallin and Warnemunde are easy but it seems to to be unclear about the others.

Is it possible to walk to the other 3? We walk everywhere so don't mind

walking 20-25 minutes port to centre.

Amsterdam seems far out and weve been there before, were a bit untrusting of public transport/worried about going the wrong way and do no want to miss out boat. :)

Thanks

My understanding of Amsterdam is that the cruise terminal isn't that far from Central Station...which is near the the canal tours. Yes, the ship isn't close to many of the museums, but if you buy a 24 hr tram pass at Central Station, you can get about easily.

As to Copenhagen, the ease of walking depends on which pier your ship is berthed. Langelinie is easy to walk into town. The Freeport Terminal is further and easier if you took your ship's shuttle into town and then walked. Helsinki is another port where it depends where you dock. So I'd say find out which terminal you are at first.

As was said, there are a couple of places where the ships dock in Copenhagen. We docked at Langeline and that is an easy walk into the city, with many wonderful stops along the way. You are right near the Little Mermaid to start.

In Helsinki, you really need to get to Market Square to get going in the city. It is walkable, but most opt for a shuttle, the public bus or a taxi. It is probably about 1/2 an hour walk, depending on how you walk, but by taxi it's about 10 minutes.

Cheers

Len

Check this map for Amsterdam.

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Most likely your ship will dock at the cruise terminal - B5.

From there it is a walk of about 15/20 minutes to Dam square, Anne Frankhuis etc. Or take tram 26 to Centraal station, walk from there.

For the museums take tramnr 26 to Centraal Station, change to tramnr. 24 or 25.

Nothing is far away and public transport is excellent.

Not sure which terminals we dock at.

We are on the Carnival Legend on the 8th of august cruise

Copenhagen is 10th of August

Helsinki is 13th August

Amsterdam is 19th August

This is is our first cruise (we are usually road/air lol) so we wer unaware of multiple ports in the cities mentioned.

From my research it seems to be Carnival's first time round the Baltics, at least for a few years so we have no past cruises to research.

We want to avoid public transport if its walkable, thanks :)

In Amsterdam you will indeed dock at the cruise terminal.

Nice option for that day, walk to Centraal Station.

You will find canal;cruise offered of about 1 hour. Nice way to see the city.

http://www.lovers.nl/en/

Or take the hop on hopoff boats

https://www.canal.nl/en/canal-bus

And of course Anne Frankhuis, for which you better make online reservations to skip the often long lines. http://www.annefrank.org/en/

Again for Rijksmuseum (Rembrandts etc.), van Goghmuseum or the modern art Stedelijk Museum you need public transport. Also here better make online reservations.

Not sure which terminals we dock at.

We are on the Carnival Legend on the 8th of august cruise

Copenhagen is 10th of August

Helsinki is 13th August

Amsterdam is 19th August

This is is our first cruise (we are usually road/air lol) so we wer unaware of multiple ports in the cities mentioned.

From my research it seems to be Carnival's first time round the Baltics, at least for a few years so we have no past cruises to research.

We want to avoid public transport if its walkable, thanks :)

You are in luck in Copenhagen...at Langelinie pier

Helsinki you are at West Harbor- quite a distance

I think Amsterdam has only one cruise terminal.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! You guys are geniuses for finding

the harbour information.

Bit of a shame about Helsinki but never mind!

Its good news about Amsterdam particularly as we will be near the Anne Frank house as last time we were in Amsterdam we did not find it then had no time to go. We went to the sex museum instead which was suprisingly artistic. :)

Last year we docked at the same place you will in Helsinki. Although payable shuttles were available....... A very clear pedestrian route in yellow is marked out that takes you safely through the port. It's a fair walk. Probably a good 30- 40 minutes. :)

In Amsterdam, if you do not mind walking, you certainly could walk from Anne Frank Huis to the museums. It is a pleasant walk with plenty to see along the way. We have done it many times. I think the bigger concern would be time though - if you have limited time in port and want to spend time inside museums etc., you would probably want to take the trams.

And I second the recommendation for the canal boat tour. Have never done the HOHO canal "bus", but you could consider that as it will get you pretty close to Museumplein.

I don't have any knowledge about getting from port to Amsterdam, but, we visited Amsterdam last spring. The trams are so easy and convenient and had stops at or near all the major sites. If I remember correctly, you can buy tickets with the conductor as you get on. Love the trams.

Copenhagen is easy to do on your own by using the HopOn-HopOff buses.

Directly at the corner outside the cruise terminal in Amsterdam there is a stop for one of the Canal cruise boats. You can also buy a ticket in the shop right at the boat terminal. There's more variety of lines, though, when you take the ten-minute-walk along the harbour to the Central station. Right in front you'll see the trams and also the different boat tours. If you buy a 1-day or a 2-day ticket for the canal boats you can use all the different lines as often as you want to. It's a very nice method of transport!! :) And the canal boats stop at the major tourist sights, as well.

If you want to visit the Anne Frank House it is advisable to order ticket in advance, as the queues in front of the ticket office can be long.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were in Amsterdam in June 2011. We decided to be at the HOHO boat place when they opened at 10am. We were the only ones there so we got a private cruise (we didn't hop off but stayed on just as a canal trip). Very nice!

Try Toms Port Guides dot com

OMG! I just glanced at Copenhagen and everything that has taken me months to accumulated and print out is right there for downloading. He even explains how to save it onto one's IPad for future reference. If I had only found this sight 6 months ago!

Archived