"New" Poseidon...would you see it?

This question was posed on the Princess board. Dh and I have actually been joking between ourselves that maybe I should see it with the hope that it might cure my "addiction", lol, (be nice John!). Your thoughts? I think I am considering it.........

Marie

Sailing Noordam on 6/20, so I am even trying to avoid the movie trailers they are showing on TV. My very first cruise as a child was on the 50th anniversary of the Titanic. We sailed out of NY, and NY Times did front page article about anniversary. I was freaked the whole trip.

.(besides, without Shelley Winters, what's the point?:D )

csg99...that's just what I was thinking !! also, the first movie was not as good as the book ( different ending ) and I'd probably spend the whole time critiquing the movie instead of enjoying it....oh and seeing a cruise ship turn upside down ain't my idea of a good time !

Not a chance. DH and I have a friend we have been trying to get to cruise with us recently, she can not swim and is sacred of being on a ship. We have been saying, it's fine, you'll have a wonderful time, now the new Poseiden, I think we've lost her.

All I know is that the one on TV was about the lamest thing in the millenium...

...and that this new Poseidon looks suspiciously like the spawn of a Seabourn and a Disney ship mating.

Seabourn_Pride.jpg

+

TH-disney_cruise_ship.jpg

=

poseidon_240.jpg

Brian, maybe you're on to something!

I would see the movie. If for no other reason than to see how accurately they portray cruising. I know it's not a documentary ... but I like to see movies be at least credibly show what cruising is all about.

Oh yes! My significant other and I have already decided that we would go. I am a big fan of the original. It holds a special memory as being the first film I was allowed to stay up late and watch on TV and it strangely played a role in my future love of ocean liners/cruise ships. Add a cheesy song and five Academy Award winners and you got a spectacle. How could you not love the first film?

I'm with everyone that a classic should never be remade and I have grave doubts about this. I deliberately missed the poor imitation NBC TV movie but at least I'll give Wolfgang Petersen points for bringing back the tidal wave. I am also a big fan of Das Boot and I believe that if any director/producer should bother attempt a remake of Irwin Allen's classic then he is one of the few.

So with mixed feelings but still most likely going to see it and still look forward to my cruise in December.

BTW, this thread is popping up everywhere. Its also on the Cunard board.

Oh and also, like Nonnie, I can't swim! But hey, I'm going to go on my cruise because...............there's got to be a morning after! he he he

I definitely want to go and see it. Thought the first one was great. I know I'm crazy but it will be interesting. I will make sure DH and DD do not see it. DD has great retention for trailers, but can't remember what I told her to do five seconds ago. :rolleyes:

I doubt we will see it any time soon. We only go to about one movie a year. I'll look forward to seeing it when it comes on one of the movie channels. I'm mainly interested in it because of Peterson's resume and hope that this will be as incredible.

I barely remember the original. But, everyone seems to remember Shelly Winters (RIP). Incredible actress. Remember her as Lolita's mom? Fabulous!!!

This question was posed on the Princess board. Dh and I have actually been joking between ourselves that maybe I should see it with the hope that it might cure my "addiction", lol, (be nice John!). Your thoughts? I think I am considering it.........

Cure it? Not a chance!

I will see this one because I'll watch anything that has to do with cruising ANYTHING! I even went to see Speed 2 (yeah I was the one) and watched CSI Miami the other night (it made S2 look like Gone With The Wind). :eek:

Oh yes! My significant other and I have already decided that we would go. I am a big fan of the original. It holds a special memory as being the first film I was allowed to stay up late and watch on TV and it strangely played a role in my future love of ocean liners/cruise ships. Add a cheesy song and five Academy Award winners and you got a spectacle. How could you not love the first film?

Bram--

I first saw the original the day my Sis was born: Dad took me to the base theatre (we were stationed in upstate Michigan at the time) to see it.

After the ship rolled over, he looked over at me and told me to let go if his arm - I was gripping him so hard that I was cutting off circulation!

"But Daddy, those people are DYING!!!"

"It's only a Movie, Brian."

So now, whenever I see a scary film (which usually involves large bodies of water, and possibly a sinking ship or drowning people...) I have to keep reminding myself...

"It's only a Movie, Brian, it's only a Movie..."

Actually I may go see it

I have heard that it will also be playing in IMAX theaters . So if it is shown at the one near me, I would like to go see it. Just for the special effects in IMAX. I don't expect it to be a great film otherwise.

It couldn't be any more "Cheesy" than the first two????:rolleyes: :)

I think for people who cruise, it will be difficult to achieve a "willful suspension of disbelief".

I'll wait for Ebert's take on it.

Enjoy!

Kel

I can't wait to see Poseidon. I'm a huge fan of the original. Most remakes are atrocious, but, I think Wolfgang Petersen has a really good pulse on the excitement factor of this maritime epic.

From what I've read there will be many practical effects and less computer generated images, which is a throwback to Poseidon Adventure. Screenwriter Mark Protosevich took a transatlantic journey on the QM2 in preparation for writing the story, that should give the script some sea legs.

One early review has Rolling Stone giving the flic three and half stars. It was also picked to open the recent Tribeca Film Festival in New York, pretty prestigious, I think Poseidon will the surprise hit of the summer.

Cruiserking

Marie

Well now, maybe Steve's on to something.......LOL:cool: NOT! Curing Maries addiction........not unless he rolls home in a 39' Diesel pusher and takes you to Miami to watch the cruise ships come and go. Even then, he'll have about a 50/50 chance of you not jumping ship........:D

John

Archived