Lock broken near Budapest?

acruisefan

I just heard from my travel agent that a lock is broken near Budapest and we will be bussed to Bratslavia next week.

We are on an AMA.

Does anyone have any details on this? I was really looking forward to sailing from Budapest and seeing the lights at night.

I just heard from my travel agent that a lock is broken near Budapest and we will be bussed to Bratslavia next week.

We are on an AMA.

Does anyone have any details on this? I was really looking forward to sailing from Budapest and seeing the lights at night.

That may be correct, OR your agent may be a little late hearing that the Gabcikovo Lock between Budapest and Bratislava (and quite a few others) was out of commission this spring due to the highest Danube flood since 1501. Gabcikovo returned to service in late June 2013. Perhaps the repairs were not adequate and the lock is out of service again. I can't find news on the current situation.

I LOVE river cruising, but if the water gets too low you can't go, and if the water gets too high you can't get under the bridges. Go with the flow, and enjoy your trip.

Thom

Thanks - she just got a call today about it so it probably has broken again. She said that there is a chance that they will fix it by Monday but since they are alerting passengers, I doubt it will be fixed in time for us. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be a great trip!

The lock is being shut down for 5 days, sometime today. We are currently on the Viking Idun and left last night so we could get though the lock before it closed. They bussed the guests back to Budapest this morning. We choose to stay on the ship. Budapest was very busy and I guess it is due to a large race happening today on the Pest side I think. There was talks about hoping the buses could get through because of the race. Weather has been very warm so far, but it is starting to get colder each day from now on. The boat is nice (a bit of a sewer smell) and the staff so far is great. The rooms are actually a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be. Webhave the French balcony and slept with the door open all night. Woke up to church bells - very nice!

The lock is being shut down for 5 days, sometime today. We are currently on the Viking Idun and left last night so we could get though the lock before it closed. They bussed the guests back to Budapest this morning. We choose to stay on the ship. Budapest was very busy and I guess it is due to a large race happening today on the Pest side I think. There was talks about hoping the buses could get through because of the race. Weather has been very warm so far, but it is starting to get colder each day from now on. The boat is nice (a bit of a sewer smell) and the staff so far is great. The rooms are actually a bit bigger than I thought they were going to be. Webhave the French balcony and slept with the door open all night. Woke up to church bells - very nice!

What ship are you on ???

Where is this smell exactly? I will be on the Idun Nov.2.

No, I haven't asked them what it is, There is no smell today. Maybe it is the river and not the boat?

Posted too soon the smell is back and strong. Someone said it is the sewer. We just got to Melk, so they probably hooked up to the sewer once we arrived.

Just heard from Viking.

We were to sail from Budapest on Saturday. They won't put us onboard our scheduled ship, the Rinda. Instead we will be in a hotel. Although they don't say anything I'm guessing this means that we won't sail out of Budapest. Otherwise why wouldn't they let us board the ship? If that is the case I'm surprised they're not saying anything as that would tell me they didn't learn anything regarding withholding of information from their past problems.

I'm glad they let us know (although they didn't offer any alternatives). Hopefully this doesn't portend other problems.

We were told that he lock wa shutting g down for repairs and they thought it woukd be for 5 days. We left Saturday night instead if Sunday to get thru before they closed. Maybe Viking just being proactive.

For all all of you going on a Viking cruise Imfeel that you made a wiz choice. Wr are enjoying it a lot!!!

I just reconfirmed with Scenic that the lock work is on schedule and due to be completed on Friday, October 18th, and that our departure from Budapest on Monday the 21st will not be impacted.

Perhaps this is an overabundance of caution by Viking, or maybe they don't think they'll be able to get their ship to Budapest early enough on Saturday?

Perhaps this is an overabundance of caution by Viking, or maybe they don't think they'll be able to get their ship to Budapest early enough on Saturday?

Good point Euro cruiser. Hadn't thought that they might not be able to get through into Budapest. It would make sense then. I do hope that Viking is proving to be overly cautious.

Thanks for posting. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Cheers

HI,

My wife and I are due to embark on Sunday, the 20th and have been told that we'll be bussed, instead, to Bratislava for embarkation there. Not thrilled as this cuts off 30% of the route on the Danube, but what can you do? Are any of the other cruise lines offering any kind of compensation for the trouble? I've e-mailed Gate 1 Travel, but have yet to hear back.:(

I just reconfirmed with Scenic that the lock work is on schedule and due to be completed on Friday, October 18th, and that our departure from Budapest on Monday the 21st will not be impacted.

Any further word on the lock repairs??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We arrived in Budapest last night and much to our delight we were take to our ship rather than the hotel. The lock repairs have been completed and the ships (at least the Bragi, which is docked beside us, and the Rinda) are back on schedule. I would assume that means all the ships are back on their respective schedules.

Archived