Never Again! Carnival is the single worst cruise line ever!

hartwickds

OP - I've read your post a couple of times and still can't quite figure out what happened with the credit card. Why was it declined? Didn't you have another credit - not debit - card? If your original credit card was declined, then, read the small print, but I bet it authorizes Carnival to look to whatever other credit/debit cards you've used onboard to pay for the other charges. Call the feds? Yeah - your case is gonna big a big priority - not. Sorry you didn't like your cruise but it sounds as if your fare was quite cheap - so what do you expect?

I traveled with two cards... Amex and Visa Debit which I never put on the account... I went to purchase a coffee midweek and they said my account had a balance due do they wouldn't let me charge anything... Since I was heading out on a shore excursion I had my wallet with the visa debit card... The Amex wasn't in my wallet as it was in the safe... I reviewed my account on the automated kiosk near the coffee place and it said I had a balance of $104.65 so I paid it with the visa debit which was on me... I in no way shape or form attach the visa debit card to the account... Again it was a one time payment so I could get my freaking coffee. I later come to find a few days later that there was some issue with Amex... When I got into port there were messages in my cell which I didn't receive on board advising they were cancelling the card due to irregular purchases and sending a new one... Does everyone get m know?

Thanks. Some people think I have a personal vendetta against carnival... I don't... However too many things went wrong...

Perhaps, and I quote you, "I won't sleep until Carnival goes bankrupt!" might just be a clue why some people think you do have a personal vendetta. Just saying:rolleyes:

Edited by ferfoodle
still can't spell

Your anger is horribly misdirected.

The people you dealt with at the port are not employed by Carnival, therefore, Carnival has no control over their actions, nor do they control the weather.

The holds on your debit card come from your bank and they are the ones who must release them.

My anger is misdirected when I made a one time payment of $104.65 and Carnival decides to hold onto my visa debit card information and attach it the folio without my permission? I didn't authorize them to touch the card... What don't you get? Then they proceed to charge the visa debit card $604 and $659... And then when they charge that amount they don't release the holds of another $1300 which are in various amounts? Give me a freaky no brake! Carnivals cations are unforgivable and fraudulent

Sounds like someone wants a full refund and a future free cruise....

Doug

It was a comped cruise from the Tropicana. I paid less than $200 with port fees and tips... You couldn't pay me to go on that cruise line me again after this experience

My anger is misdirected when I made a one time payment of $104.65 and Carnival decides to hold onto my visa debit card information and attach it the folio without my permission? I didn't authorize them to touch the card... What don't you get? Then they proceed to charge the visa debit card $604 and $659... And then when they charge that amount they don't release the holds of another $1300 which are in various amounts? Give me a freaky no brake! Carnivals cations are unforgivable and fraudulent

How were you planning to pay for these charges when you knew that you couldn't use the Amex card? Sounds like the problem was that Carnival figured out a way to not let YOU commit fraud. I totally understand how this would be upsetting.

How were you planning to pay for these charges when you knew that you couldn't use the Amex card? Sounds like the problem was that Carnival figured out a way to not let YOU commit fraud. I totally understand how this would be upsetting.

First and foremost if Carnival was aware of a problem with my card they should have advised me and not authorized any further charges.

I think it is the little inconsistencies in the story that are making people question the motives. For one I checked the weather at LAX for the date you would have left and the low was 51 with a high of 62(actuals) not the 40-50 you mentioned.

Two, I have had AX suspend my card due to suspicious charges as well. All I had to do was call them they went over which charges were valid and they also ask me if I had to make any future charges. I also think they are open 24 hours a day.

I think that you have made your point that you are not planning on using Carnival anymore, which is your prerogative. Carnival is not for everyone. I wish you happy sailings on whichever line you feel suits you better.

I think it is the little inconsistencies in the story that are making people question the motives. For one I checked the weather at LAX for the date you would have left and the low was 51 with a high of 62(actuals) not the 40-50 you mentioned.

Two, I have had AX suspend my card due to suspicious charges as well. All I had to do was call them they went over which charges were valid and they also ask me if I had to make any future charges. I also think they are open 24 hours a day.

I think that you have made your point that you are not planning on using Carnival anymore, which is your prerogative. Carnival is not for everyone. I wish you happy sailings on whichever line you feel suits you better.

I am from the East Coast... Maryland... My thoughts of the cruise leaving LA last Saturday is that it would be warm... I dressed in shorts and a tshirt... They took my luggage as soon as I got off of their airport shuttle... If I had have known I would be standing outside for 2 hours... Have the clouds come in which made it colder and if I had known I wasn't checking in for the cruise inside like every single cruise before I would have dressed differently!

First and foremost if Carnival was aware of a problem with my card they should have advised me and not authorized any further charges.

I do believe that is exactly what they did, they told you that your account was frozen and you could not make any more charges. So you went and paid off the charge with your Debit card, which gives them the right to use the card to pay your other charges. Seems like you would have gone straight to customer service as soon as you found out that your charging privileges had been revoked, so you could take care of this matter personally. I'm afraid you don't have a leg to stand on in regards to this matter.

I understand cold, I am from Michigan and it is 8 degrees out right now. We are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in February and it is always a issue knowing how to dress. I hope most of your troubles are behind you now and you make it back home safely. Life is to short, enjoy it while you can.

I do believe that is exactly what they did, they told you that your account was frozen and you could not make any more charges. So you went and paid off the charge with your Debit card, which gives them the right to use the card to pay your other charges. Seems like you would have gone straight to customer service as soon as you found out that your charging privileges had been revoked, so you could take care of this matter personally. I'm afraid you don't have a leg to stand on in regards to this matter.

Making a one time payment with a visa debit does not give carnival permission to use it as the main card! I did not authorize th m to make future payments with the card. How do you not comprehend that?

Although I still believe you are misdirecting your anger about your charges...I want to publicly apologize for my earlier assumption about you. With all the negativity being directed at you about your post, you have not resorted to name calling or nastiness in any way. I have to commend you on your reaction. Many people would get mean in response to so many attacks. I guess those of us that love Carnival, the Miracle and have had such great experiences on them, just get offended when someone attacks something we feel a kinship with. While your post would never change the fact that I think of Carnival as extended family, I do hope you get satisfactory resolution. Also, we still share a love of cruising, if not on the same line. Fair winds and following seas to you!

How were you going to pay for the charges for the rest of the cruise??? I'm trying really hard to understand this but do not understand what else you expected carnival to do with the charges that you had for the rest of the cruise.

I am sorry you had a terrible cruise and you certainly have a right to not cruise carnival again but really why did you not go to the guest services desk as someone else suggested and get this fixed. Again can you tell us what you planned on doing about the rest of the charges for the rest of the cruise?

Although I still believe you are misdirecting your anger about your charges...I want to publicly apologize for my earlier assumption about you. With all the negativity being directed at you about your post, you have not resorted to name calling or nastiness in any way. I have to commend you on your reaction. Many people would get mean in response to so many attacks. I guess those of us that love Carnival, the Miracle and have had such great experiences on them, just get offended when someone attacks something we feel a kinship with. While your post would never change the fact that I think of Carnival as extended family, I do hope you get satisfactory resolution. Also, we still share a love of cruising, if not on the same line. Fair winds and following seas to you!

Thanks! This is how bad the evening turned out... I just flew back into MD and went to retrieve my car and the funds still had not been released on my debit card.... It would not accept the $100 parking fee and the state of MD parking lot would not take a check or a promise to pay... So at 1:15am they made me contact a family member who had to pay my way out of the parking lot. Thank god this night is over!

Let me also reiterate that there were a few positives he ch I did mention in the review.... The steward, some entertainment... Excursions... I also need to clarify that I was not implying that I am white collar... Rather the comedians which I refer to as blue collar should have been re characterized as low class as the jokes were off color... And tasteless.... Trashy jokes... Not my cup of tea

OP, you still haven't addressed the obvious question. If you only had 2 cards, American express and debit card, and AE was not good, how were you planning on paying the onboard bill if not with the debit card? You are a self-proclaimed seasoned cruiser so you knew this had to be taken care of prior to leaving the ship.

Another thing puzzles me. This is came about because you wanted a cup of specialty coffee. Your charging privileges were suspended and you wanted coffee. I would have said screw the coffee, why were my charging privileges suspended. Seems to me that would have been way more important than coffee. Unless there is more that you haven't told us about this.

... I went to purchase a coffee midweek and they said my account had a balance due do they wouldn't let me charge anything... it is a one time payment so I could get my freaking coffee. I later come to find a few days later that there was some issue with Amex...

Another thing puzzles me. This is came about because you wanted a cup of specialty coffee. Your charging privileges were suspended and you wanted coffee. I would have said screw the coffee, why were my charging privileges suspended. Seems to me that would have been way more important than coffee. Unless there is more that you haven't told us about this.

OP - As rufflesmom said, once you saw you had a problem with the Amex card, I would have gone to GS and or call Amex to sort it all out. Not wait a few days later.

BTW - You were made aware of the problem with your card when you tried to buy a coffee and were denied.

Before your next trip, please check a weather website.

10 C in the contract doesn't give carnival the right to use a visa debit card which was used as a one time payment for further payments...

Yes, it does. Once Carnival couldn't collect from the AmX, they used "money and other property whatsoever"

The hold up is with your bank, not Carnival.

10. GUEST’S REIMBURSEMENT FOR FINES, EXPENSES, DEBTS AND DAMAGES

© Carnival and the Vessel shall have a lien upon all baggage, money and other property whatsoever accompanying the Guest and the right to sell the same by public auction or otherwise for all sums whatsoever due from the Guest under this Contract and for the costs and expenses of enforcing such lien and such sale.

Edited by SadieN

The bus dropped me off at Long Beach and I was directed to the most obscene line I have ever scene. It was a cold morning and we were made to stand outside in 40-50 degree weather for nearly 2 hours. I was advised by a supervisor that 7 people had called out sick, and as a result only 5 of 12 booths were being manned. I also came to find out that since I was on the first floor (window view) we were treated as less desirable and made to wait outside while nearly everyone else was allowed to check in the dome.

Complete and utter hogwash.

It is now the day after th cruise and I am attempting to fly back from LA to Baltimore. I went to the ATM to withdraw money only to find out that my checking account is overdrawn by $887. I say to myself ho can this be? Well good old carnival submitted my final bill. To the wrong credit card... Billed me $604 and change and $659. They never removed any of the holds, of $500, $300, $359,and $104.65. I called to address the issue and of course they are closed on Sunday. My bank is closed on Sunday. I get to a customer service representative for new bookings and after 1 1/2 hours I have been advised there is nothing that can b don!

Now I am stranded with no money when I should have $1800!

As has been stated here many times, a debit card should not be used when cruising. Either cash or a credit card. Any veteran cruise would know that.

I won't sleep until Carnival goes bankrupt!

You'll pass out within 72 hours and Carnival won't be bankrupt by then so you lose. :rolleyes:

I will file a complaint with the Feds as they didn't have authorization to charge my visa debit card anything other that $104.65. It appears they decided upon themselves to link a one time payment to the account.

This gets funnier and funnier. Just what do you think the Feds are going to do? What makes you think they will even care?

Complete and utter hogwash.

As has been stated here many times, a debit card should not be used when cruising. Either cash or a credit card. Any veteran cruise would know that.

........:

Lately, Long Beach has checked in Riviera deck outside then they go into the Dome, thru security and up to the ship. Doubt it though ok but 2 hours

Edited by SadieN

OP- It's fine if you didn't have a good cruise, you have complaints and you don't care for the cruise line but what is the purpose of telling lies.

Just be honest.

No need to lie about how things happened.

I highly doubt you're going to persuade people to start cancelling their Carnival cruises.

Because the truth doesn't make for a good story to try and wind up the masses.