Internet WIFI package??

Trying to decide if I should get the internet package on the Freedom in January? Is the wifi service the same on all the ships? I had the package on Oasis in 2015 and it worked well but I want to make sure it will be good quality? Thanks in advance!

Trying to decide if I should get the internet package on the Freedom in January? Is the wifi service the same on all the ships? I had the package on Oasis in 2015 and it worked well but I want to make sure it will be good quality? Thanks in advance!

Freedom has one of the better quality internet services.

Also can I switch inbetween my phone and my Kindle for Wifi?

No, they are not all the same. They have all been renamed VOOM, but some are the same old service they have had for years.

You can switch between any number of different devices, but only use the number you have purchased at the same time.

No, they are not all the same. They have all been renamed VOOM, but some are the same old service they have had for years.

You can switch between any number of different devices, but only use the number you have purchased at the same time.

Okay Got it thanks! But Freedom is a newer service?

Here is the link to RCI's new shipboard system that is now installed on all RCI ships just this year:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/voom

That would include Empress of the Seas RCI's oldest ship. We experience the upgrade just this month!

Edited by Scotty G

Here is the link to RCI's new shipboard system that is now installed on all RCI ships just this year:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/voom

That is a bit misleading - all ships have some sort of internet service named VOOM, but they don't perform the same. What you experienced on Empress is not available on the majority of the fleet.

That is a bit misleading - all ships have some sort of internet service named VOOM, but they don't perform the same. What you experienced on Empress is not available on the majority of the fleet.

Well, have you experienced the Voom on Freedom?

Yes, BUT, we have had recent reports that seem to indicate some severe bandwidth restrictions on the SURF package on Freedom.

Hmmm... I would use it for some uploads and then my kindle for my kids to stream netflix so I just want to make sure they will be able to do that.

Hmmm... I would use it for some uploads and then my kindle for my kids to stream netflix so I just want to make sure they will be able to do that.

If the most recent download speed report is an indication of overall performance, you'll have a very difficult time streaming Netflix without the STREAM package. Weirdly, the upload speeds were much better than down speeds with SURF.

Edited by Biker19

So are you saying RCI is falsely advertising this?

It’s VOOM, the fastest internet at sea

– and it’s now available on the entire fleet.

This is instantly streaming, sharing on the fly, high speed internet. Enjoy all your favorite movies and shows on Netflix, and stream your favorite playlist on Spotify. Share every unforgettable moment of your vacation on Facebook and Instagram. Stay connected with video chatting on FaceTime and Skype, texting and e-mail. From the Caribbean to Australia, now on every Royal Caribbean ship around the world.

So are you saying RCI is falsely advertising this?

No, because it does not specify any speeds or latency numbers. But we have plenty of reports that other than about 9 ships, the rest of the fleet does not have the newer O3B internet system installed.

Also, nowhere in their advertising do they mention how well any of those services work. So, yes, those streaming services might work on a STREAM package on a non O3B equipped ship, but you could have all kinds of breakups, stuttering, pauses and other poor performance issues which you are unlikely to encounter on an O3B equipped ship.

I was on the Grandeur from July 7 to 16 and never had a problem using FaceTime, wifi calls and text, and checking my emails. On two nights we even watched Netflix with no problem. The only slight annoyance was having to toggle between different devices since I only purchased the package for one.

I Purchased the surf and stream package.

Edited by R<3M2012

I was on the Grandeur from July 7 to 16 and never had a problem using FaceTime' date=' wifi calls and text, and checking my emails. On two nights we even watched Netflix with no problem. The only slight annoyance was having to toggle between different devices since I only purchased the package for one.

I Purchased the surf and stream package.[/quote']

Did you do any speed tests?

I was on the Grandeur from July 7 to 16 and never had a problem using FaceTime' date=' wifi calls and text, and checking my emails. On two nights we even watched Netflix with no problem. The only slight annoyance was having to toggle between different devices since I only purchased the package for one.

I Purchased the surf and stream package.[/quote']

Wait till you get on Anthem to see how much better an O3B equipped ship's internet works - even on SURF alone.

Edited by Biker19

Is the only internet available the VOOM Packages? We sailed the Freedom 2 years ago and I can't remember what they had, though I do remember paying for some internet time. Just want to be able to check my email/check in at home a few times-not sure I need access everyday all day.

Can you purchase this by the day? How much is it if we wait until we are on board?

Also, going to Western Caribbean- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee- anyone know of free/cheap internet places near the ports where we could check in?

Thanks!