First cruise confused 3oz rule

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:53 AM.
8 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are confused. Is there a 3 oz liquid limit for toothpaste, hair spray etc, like the airlines, when boarding the ship? My spouse thniks there is, I'm not so sure.
Daytona FL
1,582 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nope! Bring as much shampoo, soap, beverages (except alcohol) as you like. This is normally the case when you're driving to your port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You're only as good as your last performance.
Western NY
3,349 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
You can bring larger quantities on airlines too, just not in your carry on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

75 Past Cruises. 520 Nights at Sea.
Carnival Diamond, Norwegian Platinum.
Royal Platinum, Princess Gold , Holland Star Mariner.
West Haven, Connecticut
905 Posts
Joined May 2007
Because their shampoo is lousy. Bring whatever size of whatever you want but put it in your suitcase, not your carryon. We just learned the hard way. I bought vodka, bought a flask and it was bigger than 3 oz. We packed it in our carry on and they confiscated it at the airport. Coming home I packed my hairspray and sunscreen, both over 3 oz into my carryon and they took that too. PACK IT IN YOUR OTHER SUITCASES!

marlene
Jacksonville, FL USA
47,007 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by mardon
Because their shampoo is lousy. Bring whatever size of whatever you want but put it in your suitcase, not your carryon. We just learned the hard way. I bought vodka, bought a flask and it was bigger than 3 oz. We packed it in our carry on and they confiscated it at the airport. Coming home I packed my hairspray and sunscreen, both over 3 oz into my carryon and they took that too. PACK IT IN YOUR OTHER SUITCASES!

marlene
Hi Marlene When Solstice joined the fleet they upgraded all the
shampoos and conditioners on all the ships. It is a lemongrass and
I thought it was really nice. Left my hair very soft and a nice scent
as well.
I guess lousy to one person is lovely to someone else
Shalimar FL
5,100 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Because their shampoo is lousy. Bring whatever size of whatever you want but put it in your suitcase, not your carryon. marlene
OK, I'll confess.I use handsoap or whatever is sitting around to wash and 'shampoo'. I can't stay up with what we are to wash ourselves with - fruits, animals, veggies, etc?? So I just use whatever the hotel, cruise ship, wife has in the shower. Heck, my daughter has at least 6 various jars or whatever sitting in her shower. I grab whatever and wash.

So I guess I'm the wrong one to respond if it's OK to use the ship's stuff. By the way, my daughter with her 6+ bottles of 'shower stuff'' used the ship 'stuff'. I hate to get technical referencing 'stuff'.

Denny
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda 28 May 2017
Viking - Cities of Lights Prague to Paris 24 Aug 2017
Celebrity Infinity- Panama Canal 08 Nov 2017

Redmond, WA
877 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Denny01
OK, I'll confess.I use handsoap or whatever is sitting around to wash and 'shampoo'. I can't stay up with what we are to wash ourselves with - fruits, animals, veggies, etc?? So I just use whatever the hotel, cruise ship, wife has in the shower. Heck, my daughter has at least 6 various jars or whatever sitting in her shower. I grab whatever and wash.

So I guess I'm the wrong one to respond if it's OK to use the ship's stuff. By the way, my daughter with her 6+ bottles of 'shower stuff'' used the ship 'stuff'. I hate to get technical referencing 'stuff'.

Denny
I'm Laughing so hard, I just about fell off my chair. Thank You, you have made my day!!!. I knew when i read the first few words that you HAD to be a male!! no woman would EVER say "I just use handsoap or whatever is sitting around to wash and shampoo" you are too funny. LOL

Melody
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past cruises
Celebrity Eclipse/Caribbean/April 2013
Celebrity Infinity/Panama Canal/ September 2012
Celebrity Summit/Canada/New England/ September 2011
Celebrity Infinity/Alaska/June2010
Celebrity Infinity/Panama Canal/September 2009
Celebrity Millennium/Alaska/September 2008
Sun Princess/Alaska September 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
1,220 Posts
Joined Oct 2003

marlene
Well, I guess you are also inadvertantly commenting on the quality of their vodka.

The 3 ounce per container, all the containers you can fit into a one quart baggie rule has been in effect for all of the domestic airlines for several years. Of course, they will confiscate anything containing more than 3 fluid ounces. Water bottles and all the rest of that stuff goes into the trash at the security checkpoint.

It wasn't because it was vodka in the container in your carryon luggage. It violated the 3 ounce rule for carryon luggage.

As a confession, I too am male. The shampoo and soap they have on board is just fine. But if they don't have my brand of liquor, @#$@#$@#$
8,222 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Many years ago, I read a very interesting book by a female ob-gyn, who opined that virtually all of those cleansing, facial products etc. used by most women were totally useless; and, in some cases detrimental to the health of the user. While I am not a female, I also do not use any of the facial products etc. advertised for male use. I use Dove unscented soap for virtually everything, even shaving when I run out of shaving cream. Not only do I save a fair amount of money, I am healthier by virtue of the afloresaid regimen.