Type of binoculars for an Alaskan cruise

easy_123

This August I will be going on an Alaskan inside passage cruise. As I am 59 and do not own of her binoculars - I have not had a need for pair to date.

I would like to get a pair that are reasonably priced but also of some quality. I've done a fair amount of research and have decided on certain variables that I would like them to have. The one question I have is how important is it that they be waterproof, assuming no overtly"wet" excursions (i.e. kayaking)?

Thanks,

Stan

I have a pair of Fujinon marine glasses that I have from a previous life and take them on all our cruises, however, at over $500 a copy you don't need them. The marine standard is 7X or 8X to go stronger then that will bring the movement of the ship into the equation and can cause motion sickness. There are a number of reasonable quality glasses on the market at about the $100 price point. I keep a pair of 8X50 Bushnell's in the car and find them quite adequate under most conditions. Waterproof glasses are always an idea but not essential.

The one question I have is how important is it that they be waterproof, assuming no overtly"wet" excursions (i.e. kayaking)?

YES! While you 'may get lucky' and not need the waterproof portion, you are going to visit a rainforest! And it would suck to not use the binocs you bring because it's misting/raining outside. As Putterdude stated, I also keep a pair of Bushnell's in my glovebox and use them for everything. And they're waterproof & fogproof....so I don't worry about using them anytime!

Enjoy,

Rene

Thanks to everyone who is commented on my question.

I do believe I will be getting waterproof binoculars, as they do make sense, since I do hope to get close and personal to whales, seals, and other aquatic wildlife.

And of course, I'm going during one of the wettest periods of the year(31 Aug - 7 Sep) for that part of the country.

Now my question is to go for the 8 x 42 or the 10 x 42 Bushell H2O binoculars.

Any thoughts?

8x42 all the way (IMO!) 8x is more versatile and brighter, there's less noticeable magnification of shaky hands (or vibration from the ship/boat) which makes up for the increased detail resolution of the 10X. I'll be interested in the other comments though!

It depends what you want to look for?? If marine wildlife, then wide angle is absolutely necessary, which none of the above listed, are. For wildlife in Denali Park, I wouldn't consider anything less then 10 power.

It will depend what works the best for the person- if water proof is wanted, too heavy?? (the least of my concern) etc. Go to a sports shop and try them out.

8x42 all the way (IMO!) 8x is more versatile and brighter, there's less noticeable magnification of shaky hands (or vibration from the ship/boat) which makes up for the increased detail resolution of the 10X. I'll be interested in the other comments though!

I absolutely agree, I also own a pair of 10X and would never consider taking them on a cruise, they are all but useless with the movement of the ship and may contribute to motion sickness.

This August I will be going on an Alaskan inside passage cruise. As I am 59 and do not own of her binoculars - I have not had a need for pair to date.

I would like to get a pair that are reasonably priced but also of some quality. I've done a fair amount of research and have decided on certain variables that I would like them to have. The one question I have is how important is it that they be waterproof, assuming no overtly"wet" excursions (i.e. kayaking)?

Thanks,

Stan

I just bought a new pair of Zen Ray binoculars 10X42 for my wife for our trip to Alaska this summer for $ 139 off Ebay same price as Zen Rays web site less shipping. I have not got to use in field much but seem to be very clear. I also have a set from Cabela's 10X42 both are water proof that we will be taking also :).

Check out these sites

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/explore/optics/index.php?sc=hom_accordion

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/spring99/binos.html

My personal opinion is that inexpensive binoculars are worthless. Buy the best you can afford. Just don't make the mistake that I did on the last pair I bought when I tried out a set of $2000 Leitz binoculars. I did not but them but I wan't to as they were worth it.

I second the comment that while you may not need waterproof binoculars, you certainly need fog proof ones. Also you are better off with lower power and a larger front optic than high power ones. The former set will be brighter, easier to hold still, and will probably have a wider field of vision. If you wear glasses, you need to consider the eye relief of the binoculars. Finally, you need to check what the minimum focus distance is. I failed to do that once and had to return them because the closest focus distance was to far for some of the birding I do.

I will bet that you thought that buying binoculars was easy.

DON

I am a SOB, which in the birding world means that I am a Spouse Of a Birder. The volume of pages in Birdwatcher's Digest devoted to the issue of scopes, binoculars and tripods I never ceases to amaze me. But I really also think that it is important to actually hold a pair in your hands before purchasing.

Now my question is to go for the 8 x 42 or the 10 x 42 Bushell H2O binoculars.

Any thoughts?

Once you start researching binoculars you learn that everything is a trade off. Some features you may really want add weight or increase shaking or narrow your field of view.

I went for 8 x 42, love them and carry them on hikes, to ball games, and touring in general. They're heavy but I put up with it because I can see so much more than with my old 8 x 25 pair. I think if I had gotten the 10 x 42 they would have been even heavier. Also other posters have warned that 10 x may be difficult to use on a shaking ship. That said, if you take a whale watch they will provide binoculars.

Be sure to try them out before you buy to make sure they're comfortable, have easy to reach controls, work with your glasses if you wear them, etc.

Have a great trip!

DON

And cheap!

I had no idea how much can be spent on some glass, metal and plastic. As I read and study the field of of binoculars , the vision of how much money is leaving my wallet grows exponentially.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

And cheap!

I had no idea how much can be spent on some glass, metal and plastic. As I read and study the field of of binoculars , the vision of how much money is leaving my wallet grows exponentially.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ha! My husband is a birder - so scopes, binoculars and now cameras & lenses are pricey pricey pricey and its all the glass!

Like TVs & laptops, the more you know - the pricier they become!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do not own binoculars as we've never needed a pair, so for our cruise in May we have borrowed a pair of compact 12X25 Bushnell binoculars from my in-laws. Will these be sufficient?

Bad choice - even at free. Way too powerful and way too small objective lens.

DON

Bad choice - even at free. Way too powerful and way too small objective lens.

DON

Thank you! I'd rather not have to shell out a few hundred bucks for something I won't use again, so I'll have to see if anyone has a better pair we can borrow!

I just bought the Eagle Optics Rangers 8x42 after much research and deliberation. They sell for $299.00 and have great reviews. Before you buy, check out their Platinum Gurantee. They work very well for folks that wear glasses. I tried out some Nikon 10X42 and they look great but the field of view was not wide enough for my liking. Oldnslow1

I absolutely agree, I also own a pair of 10X and would never consider taking them on a cruise, they are all but useless with the movement of the ship and may contribute to motion sickness.

And that's all I take, spending way more time out on deck than the average cruiser. :)