Southwest flights out. Booked for Nov

waterbugohio

Just an FYI for anyone that flies southwest

Flights for Nov thru Jan were released today

Was able to get flights for our Nevember cruise. Non stop from Indi to FLl for $338. Not as cheap as we have gotten other times. But considering we are flying home the Sunday before thanksgiving and the next lowest flights on American were $488. I feel I got a great deal. And gotta love free luggage when going on a cruise!!!!

Was able to get flights for our Nevember cruise. Non stop from Indi to FLl for $338. Not as cheap as we have gotten other times. But considering we are flying home the Sunday before thanksgiving and the next lowest flights on American were $488. I feel I got a great deal. And gotta love free luggage when going on a cruise!!!!

Only out to Jan 3rd.

I need to book air for Nov 16, and read at Southwest, that the fares for that date would be out June 2, thanks for the heads up......but fares still higher than I want to spend right now, hope for price drops.

Plus, if the price goes down, they will bank that for you and let you use for a future flight!

I booked at 15 am and you are right - Albany to FLL not as cheap as it usually is. 400ish for round trip the Saturday before Thanksgiving and returning 15 days later on a Sunday. In fairness to SW, I usually don't fly on a Sat. and return on a Sunday so this pricing may be par for those dates. I can always hope for a price drop and may stand a chance for my return flight, but unlikely for my initial flight giving it is right before Thanksgiving.

I just called southwest as I usually get very good rates with them. Not this time. The price of flight from Southwest was 1168 for 2 people. On Travelocity the price was 1180 with 2 nights hotel included. I will also be waiting a bit to book.

I have noticed that their pricing lately has been higher than usual.

I've been trying to price out a flight to Newark for October. They are more than double what American Airlines is charging right now. Even with paying baggage fees, I'd end up ahead going with American.

I usually book two O/W vs a R/T. That way if one leg gets cheaper I can cancel that one and re-book.

On SW you get credit regardless either way. There is no problem changing price for 1 leg on a round trip

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately SW from Philly yo FLL is a bit on the expensive side especially since they aren't even direct flights.

$506 pp :eek:

I always thought they were cheaper when they first released the new dates.:(

Bill

I didn't think flights were being released until June 2, either. I happened to check today for a flight in October and saw dates had been released until early January. I got nonstop RDU to FLL for $253RT and am thrilled! I have been checking every day and comparable flights are close to $500. Thanks Southwest!!

I've had good luck with SWA and they are very good about giving credit on future flights when prices drop but you do have a window before they expire. On our last R/T from STL to SJU, we saved over $200 over 3 price drops, I was able to get credit. I'll use that towards my next flight to HOU. I checked the prices today, they are a bit high but I know they will come down. I check daily, normally before 8 AM.

Glad I got up and got booked right away this morning. Just checked southwest. My flights have gone up $65 already just today.

Flying home that Sunday before Thanksgiving is a killer!!! Some day we will retire and be able to stay another extra day or two.

Im happy with my $338!!!

We booked non stop flights this morning and think we got a good deal, especially since non stop from Pittsburgh to anywhere is very hard to get. Southwest has been adding more flights to and from here and for once they have a return non stop flight from FLL at 2:30 instead of 10:20 AM.

Just looked up for flights in November for me to fly to the LA area for a possible cruise with the girlfriends. From my home airport, WN is $616.04, DL is $285.20. Gee, thanks WN. I think I'll fly DL, where I also get 1 bag free...

I didn't think flights were being released until June 2, either. I happened to check today for a flight in October and saw dates had been released until early January. I got nonstop RDU to FLL for $253RT and am thrilled! I have been checking every day and comparable flights are close to $500. Thanks Southwest!!

Prices are normally good from RDU. I've been known to drive from CLT and fly out of RDU to save hundreds of dollars. But the 2.5 hr ride home after vacation is a killer. :(

Just a question, never flown SW before does it feel cramped compared to other airlines, I notice they have no inflight amenities, the other choice were looking at is DL comfort plus, but SW does have non stop from BUF to MCO where as DL is either to NYC/Atl than to MCO and you have to pay for your bags how do you decide besides price?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have flown southwest three times. I find it does not feel cramped and the seats are in good shape, and they're leather. We usually don't do the early bird check in and just sit in the back. As long as hubby gets a window he's happy. I've flown comfort plus on delta and found in comparable to sw regular seat size and pitch. Sw does give free sodas and chips and crackers and they don't look twice if u take more than one. Flight hosts have always been more than friendly. I find the big three is hit and miss on friendliness and usually a miss.. I'm also a nervous flyer.. SW hammers it down to the designation, no feelings of going fast and slow, just fast. And they stick their landings. Lol!

SW

I always thought they were cheaper when they first released the new dates.

That's a very common misconception. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're more expensive. It pretty much boils down to the laws of supply and demand.

how do you decide besides price?

It depends on what's important to each individual person. Some people choose based on price alone. Other considerations include flight times, rebooking alternatives (how/when can my airline get me to my destination if my flight is delayed/canceled), connection options (where, how long a layover, how many connections), interline agreements with other airlines (Southwest doesn't have any), frequent flyer program perks, seat configuration and more.

For me personally, I fly a lot both domestically and internationally, so I prefer to choose an airline that flies worldwide, so that I can rack up miles on ONE airline. For my travel patterns and from my home airport, DL or AA make the most sense as far as number of flights and connecting options. My choice is DL. On a very rare occasion I fly another airline, but the argument must be compelling.

Ex. my RT flight to FLL leaving Christmas day....$1250 on DL with cx at ATL, or $250 on B6 (Jet Blue) on their new nonstop route. I chose B6. However, on subsequent flights to FLL, I've opted for DL, despite it sometimes being a little more expensive (ex. $400 vs $350) because I can't fly B6 internationally, prefer to accrue most of my miles on DL for both elite status perks as well as racking up miles to buy award tix for my kids, and because overall, B6 has limited options from my home airport.

Bottom line: Everyone has to make the choice that works for them when the entire picture is considered.

I've flown comfort plus on delta and found in comparable to sw regular seat size and pitch.

Perhaps you're comparing C+ seat pitch on DL to an exit row or bulkhead seat pitch on Southwest?

Here's a chart showing seat pitch and seat width comparison. SW seat pitch varies from 31-33". Delta economy seat pitch varies from 31-35." SW seat pitch is 17". Delta economy seat pitch varies from 17.2-18.25"

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/shorthaul_economy.php

Just a question, never flown SW before does it feel cramped compared to other airlines, I notice they have no inflight amenities, the other choice were looking at is DL comfort plus, but SW does have non stop from BUF to MCO where as DL is either to NYC/Atl than to MCO and you have to pay for your bags how do you decide besides price?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just a note if you've never flown SW. You cannot choose your seat. You are assigned a boarding group according to when you check in and board by group. So if it is important to you where you sit, check-in online as soon as it opens (24 hrs prior to flight) or pay for early bird check in. $12.50 for each way.

I usually pay the extra for the return trip, then I don't worry about it on the cruise.

Early Bird Check In is now $15 each way. Well worth it to us as my DH is a very reluctant flyer and if he was not sitting next to me it might not be pretty.

We usually try to fly United but with non stop flights to & from Ft. Lauderdale at times we could make, South West was a no brainer this time.

Just a note if you've never flown SW. You cannot choose your seat. You are assigned a boarding group according to when you check in and board by group. So if it is important to you where you sit, check-in online as soon as it opens (24 hrs prior to flight) or pay for early bird check in. $12.50 for each way.

I usually pay the extra for the return trip, then I don't worry about it on the cruise.

That's what we usually do.

Last time we flew SW we paid the early bird fee and were in the "B" boarding group. No biggie, we got to sit together still but what irritated me a little was that while sitting waiting to board SW makes an announcement that anybody wanting to board with the "A" group could come up and pay the early bird fee.

Bill