United vs Southwest to Houston

dramaqueenjan

I usually Fly Southwest Airlines to hobby but am considering a United flight to IAH anybody that has used both Airlines can you tell me the pros and cons I have only flown Southwest thank you

Personally I'd choose Southwest over United just because of their reputations. But being able to book direct flights, flight times, and price would weigh heavily in my decision. All things being equal though, I'd always pick Southwest.

Hobby is farther south which can be 30-45 minutes closer depending on what time of day you fly in. We fly in and out of Hobby mainly and it's a very easy airport to navigate. You should have no problem with flying there if you usually fly Southwest.

If you plan on staying in Houston a night and want to check the city out, you could fly into IAH and stay in the downtown area since downtown is between the airport and Galveston. With Hobby you would be backtracking.

If you can fly into Hobby do so IAH is considerably further away from Galveston about an hour more with good traffic conditions and there are never good traffic conditions . I live in Webster Tx which is 30 minutes to Galveston and travel all of Houston for work...believe me I'm not guessing or looking at a map or did it once for a cruise 3 years ago ....I live this everday...lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hobby is farther south which can be 30-45 minutes closer depending on what time of day you fly in. We fly in and out of Hobby mainly and it's a very easy airport to navigate. You should have no problem with flying there if you usually fly Southwest.

If you plan on staying in Houston a night and want to check the city out, you could fly into IAH and stay in the downtown area since downtown is between the airport and Galveston. With Hobby you would be backtracking.

Still easier to get to downtown Houston from Hobby than IAH.

I assume you've checked a map and are aware of where IAH and HOU are located. So, I'll focus on the airlines, since I've flown both.

United is a traditional major carrier. First and Coach classes on most planes. Coach usually has two classes, so effectively three classes. Assigned seating. You pay for baggage. They went through some bad times and the planes were pretty beat up and the crews unhappy. But recent flights have been better. Frequent flyer status can get you better seats.

Southwest is an upstart, but they've been around a long time. Single class. No assigned seats. Seats are all the same. You board based on check in order, so you need to check in exactly 24 hours before the flight, unless you pay a bit extra for early bird checkin. The biggie: two free checked bags. Status can get you earlier in the boarding line (I think, I have no status on them.)

They are alike in many ways: You'll pay for drinks or food. Maybe free sodas, I've lost track. Both do TSA Pre.

For me the choice is a matter of schedule and price. For anyone except Southwest I add in the cost of baggage and anything else you have to pay for. If I'm comparing others to Spirit or Frontier, I also consider the hassle factor of dealing with "Greyhound" airlines. (Sorry, I know I'm insulting Greyhound.) Neither United nor Southwest fall in that category.

Still easier to get to downtown Houston from Hobby than IAH.

Agreed. As a Houston-area local, regardless of if you're heading straight to Galveston or plan to spend a day in Houston, Hobby is a more convenient drive than IAH. That said, Hobby seems consistently slower than IAH as far as check-in and security, which is the downside.

I prefer Southwest strictly comparing the airlines. If ticket prices are the same or similar, I'm going with Southwest. I love that Southwest allows 2 checked bags built into the ticket price. I also appreciate their more relaxed style, which is the exact reason some people hate them so that will be a matter of personal preference.

As a purely a logistical matter, you're probably better off with Hobby airport which would seem to mean Southwest in this case.

Bags fly free on southwest. When United's and Southwests base airfare are pretty close to each other but then for United you have to add in a carry on cost for each and a checked bag cost for each passenger now you just doubled your ticket cost with United.

Southwest everyone gets free carry on's and 2 free checked bags for each passenger.

Since you normally fly to Hobby you know about location, etc.

With United, you can reserve your seat. Not so with SW

SW flys 737's only, United flies a variety of planes....most have a 2/3 seat configuration, so there's a better chance of no center seat. But planes/flights will vary so you should check.

SW generally gives free snacks. UA does not

SW gives a free checked bag, UA does not.

UA flies more places than SW, so UA miles are more "valuable" than SW.

In general, to me, SW offers a better experience but Hobby is out of the way for me, so I generally choose UA into IAH.

SW flys 737's only, United flies a variety of planes....most have a 2/3 seat configuration, so there's a better chance of no center seat. But planes/flights will vary so you should check.

I am REALLY curious as to what UA aircraft have a 2/3 seat configuration.

Since UA doesn't operate any Mad Dogs, I wonder just what you're talking about.

Thank you for your responses. really the only benefit to Flying United would be that I can fly from my home town in northern California rather than driving 3 hours to Sacramento which is the closest airport for Southwest .otherwise Southwest is way less expensive flies to a better airport offers free luggage really it's a no-brainer I am traveling with 4 Kids and was trying to avoid the extra travel time but I think I will grin and bear it

for United you have to add in a carry on cost for each

Southwest everyone gets free carry on's

Checked bags is one things, but United does not charge for carry on bags. Let's not exaggerate the baggage situation and make it sound worse than it is. ;)

Thank you for your responses. really the only benefit to Flying United would be that I can fly from my home town in northern California rather than driving 3 hours to Sacramento which is the closest airport for Southwest .otherwise Southwest is way less expensive flies to a better airport offers free luggage really it's a no-brainer I am traveling with 4 Kids and was trying to avoid the extra travel time but I think I will grin and bear it

I'd pay a substantial amount of money to avoid a 3-hour car ride with 4 kids.

I'd pick United, it's local and nearby and you don't have to put up with the wretched cattle call boarding process WN have.

Honestly, I wouldn't fly WN if I had free tickets.

I'd pay a substantial amount of money to avoid a 3-hour car ride with 4 kids.

True, but that would depend upon how much horse tranquilizer I had to hand.

A couple of thoughts and some answers;

1. Both UA and SWA serve Coca Cola products (dangit)

2. UA offers for an additional fee, seats with extra legroom - last time I flew them from the west coast to IAH, the cost was $89 each leg. This is a critical benefit for me as I am 6'-7" tall and therefore if I don't get one of the exit row seats on SWA, I am pretty miserable.

3. UA often (but not always) offers the option either after you purchase your ticket or at checkin to upgrade to First for a fee..sometimes if is only slightly more than the fee I have already paid for #2.

4. If you end up deciding on United, you might want to consider quickly applying for their credit card. This gets you a free checked bag for everyone on your reservation (up to a certain number but since there are never more than two of us, I am not sure how many) but it is worth having to save that fee.

5. Don't forget to add in the cost of gas and parking if more expensive at the distant airport when you are making your comparison.

6. I believe (but I could be wrong) that United has reinstated snacks on all flights....check their website if this is an important differentiator for you.

United has indeed re-instated snacks on their longer flights. LAS to EWR we got a bag of pretzels, about .3 oz of salty pretzels. Whoopie. No main line UA aircraft have 2/3 seating now. All of their 737s are 3/3 in coach, the 767 and 777 have 2/3 or 4/2. Check to see if United is flying regional jets from your airport to IAH. They can get pretty cramped on those longer hauls. United has cut their seat pitch to 31 inches. Even at 5'10 it is miserable. If you are looking to book soon, getting their credit card later won't help with bag fees. You have to pay for the tickets with the UA credit card...I am stuck with United because I have too many miles, a bit of status and EWR is my closest airport...otherwise I would look to fly with Southwest or anyone else.

We had from Buf to EWR the plane went mechanical on a Dash 8, so they booked us on DL to PR than we flew from PR to EWR and are plane was supposed to leave at 9pm and it goes mechanical again so by the time we left it was 12am get to Buf at 1am we were going to spend the night, so we drive through a snow storm get home around 5am had we spend the night we would've been stuck because Buffalo got the huge snow storm the next day. So I think United left a bad taste in our mouths

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app