First Cruise - Scenic OV or Balcony?

sirenitas

We are scheduled on the Conquest in Oct and booked in a Scenic OV (not the grand though). Since the category only has 4 rooms (and is sold out) I am out of luck for OBC. But I have noticed that if I upgrade to a balcony I would actually get OBC (not a lot but some).

I am not really concerned about the OBC but I am second guessing myself - should I stick with the OV or upgrade to a balcony? Since it is our first cruise I am not sure how much time we would actually spend in the cabin/balcony.

So - unique view or balcony?

Hubby had his first cruise with a balcony and won't book anything else now. I have had interior, ocean view and balcony. I enjoy the solitude of sitting on my balcony and just taking in the view. Great for a quiet cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night.

So to each his own. Try it, you might really like it! Enjoy which ever you choose.

We usually get OVs because we want some natural light and to be able to see outside. We had a balcony cabin once and it was nice. However, I wouldn't spend a lot more $ over an OV for one. We don't spend enough time in our cabin to make it worth it.

If you are active people and plan on participating in a lot of the activities, I would stick with the OV and see how it goes.

We had a 4j, not a scenic ov like you are booked in but a cabin at the front with a walkway view. We didnt like the front of the ship at all, too much movement. luckily that was the first leg of our b2b and we were in a balcony for the second leg. After having insides, the 4J and OV I will only book a balcony. We love just sitting out there and watching the world go quietly by.

We are scheduled on the Conquest in Oct and booked in a Scenic OV (not the grand though). Since the category only has 4 rooms (and is sold out) I am out of luck for OBC. But I have noticed that if I upgrade to a balcony I would actually get OBC (not a lot but some).

I am not really concerned about the OBC but I am second guessing myself - should I stick with the OV or upgrade to a balcony? Since it is our first cruise I am not sure how much time we would actually spend in the cabin/balcony.

So - unique view or balcony?

If upgrading gets you OBC I don't see the question. :p

Seriously, you might want to try a balcony and see what it offers you. For me to have a great view and not be able to experience it outside on my own balcony would drive me bonkers. If I only use it for early morning coffee and 'coming into port viewing', fantastic photos, late night chat with wine and DH, relaxing on a sea day with my book and a guaranteed seat, and watching pier runners....well that is fine with me. Don't forget waiting for the other half to get ready for, well, whatever! :D

I would upgrade, especially since its getting you OBC, which means it must technically be less expensive. I haven't been an a scenic OV, they look awesome. But I believe they are in the very front of the ship and I hate being that far forward. I felt more motion in the front of the ship than anywhere else. Like standing up in the room and almost falling due to movement.

The balconies have glass doors that are like sliding glass doors so its like a huge window. You can go out or not. I personally like to go out on them, but its not a necessity. I have been in a balcony, inside, oceanview, inside with window (with obstructed view), and I go with the best value. If the price is right I will take the balcony any day of the week. But I have no problem with an OV or inside either.

I would book a balcony over an ocean view cabin. We're booked in an OV on our 4-day cruise in August only because there's no balcony cabins on the ship only suites. The price was right and so was the air fare, so we booked it. Once you've experienced a balcony cabin, you won't want anything else. JMHO.

Edited by elliair

We will only cruise if we have a balcony. Once you enjoy coffee and breakfast in the morning after getting wake-up room service, and a nice glass of wine with some cheese late while watching the stars, you will never go back to an outside or inside room. Definitely worth the extra money.

I'd stick with the OV cabin as they are larger than a balcony cabin.

We aren't 'balcony people'. We've had several balconies, including suites. They just aren't our thing. (We even found non-balcony suites on Princess).

I will not cruise without a balcony again. We actually spend quite a bit of time on our balcony. When I want to read, that's where I am. When we enter ports, that's where I am. Lunch, get a burger and beer and sit on the balcony. Wine and cheese before dinner, that's where we are. I never have to worry about finding a chair on my balcony. :D

YMMV

We've done one inside, 4 balconies, and most recently the scenic ocean view on the Sunshine. What a great experience that was! It is such a special room and there are only 4 of them. I felt so lucky to have one. We felt like we could pretend to be steering the ship :D. We had the Captain's view. It was wonderful.

We never had any great amounts of movement and we actually like to be able to feel that we're on a ship moving through the water. We're going back to our Lido balcony on the Conquest for our next cruise, but if a scenic were open again when I book we would do it again.

I also agree about the Scenic Oceanview cabins. We have had balconies, but we like the Scenic better. We were never out on the balcony much, and would rather have more floor space. We also did not feel movement up there. maybe it was just a lucky sailing, with no motion. We could very well change to a balcony for our Sunshine cruise, but I would be kicking and screaming all the way. :D

If you've been sequestered in a cabin with someone who had Noro, you would never book a cabin without a balcony.

DH had it I didn't. If it had not been for that balcony, I would have had Big Time Cabin Fever! :D

LuLu

Balcony, balcony, balcony. What a nice benefit. Great when you can relax on the balcony and talk about the happenings of the day, and other times too, like in the morning with a cup of coffee. First cruise, or any cruise, balcony is the only choice. Enjoy your cruise. Amazing way to spend vacation.

I love my balconies. But---

Personally, if I was all ready booked in one of those scarce scenic OVs, I would keep it and get a balcony next time. I have yet to snag one of them, but I'm gonna keep trying. ;)

We will only cruise if we have a balcony. Once you enjoy coffee and breakfast in the morning after getting wake-up room service, and a nice glass of wine with some cheese late while watching the stars, you will never go back to an outside or inside room. Definitely worth the extra money.

How sweet is it to be on your private balcony with your favorite adult beverage during sail away. We are so spoiled now it is balcony or nothing for us.

We've done one inside, 4 balconies, and most recently the scenic ocean view on the Sunshine. What a great experience that was! It is such a special room and there are only 4 of them. I felt so lucky to have one. We felt like we could pretend to be steering the ship :D. We had the Captain's view. It was wonderful.

We never had any great amounts of movement and we actually like to be able to feel that we're on a ship moving through the water. We're going back to our Lido balcony on the Conquest for our next cruise, but if a scenic were open again when I book we would do it again.

Question, I am a very informed cruiser, but I have never heard about a "scenic ocenview". From what I have been reading here seems like a front view of the ship. I am a balcony kind of guy but this sounds great too.

We have a scenic ocean view (cat 6J) booked on the Sunshine. We are thrilled! We wanted the extra cabin space and also the view without our kids constantly opening and closing the balcony door. (Or listening to our neighbor's closing their's!)

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Carnival Sunshine

Question, I am a very informed cruiser, but I have never heard about a "scenic ocenview". From what I have been reading here seems like a front view of the ship. I am a balcony kind of guy but this sounds great too.

They're only on a few ships. They are all the way forward, above the bridge, with floor to ceiling windows. Cat 6J is the pic I posted. There are also cat 6k which are corner rooms on the same deck with two of those huge windows!!

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

They're only on a few ships. They are all the way forward, above the bridge, with floor to ceiling windows. Cat 6J is the pic I posted. There are also cat 6k which are corner rooms on the same deck with two of those huge windows!!

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

Thanks so much for the photo earlier. My eyes popped wide open and would love to try one of those, a view over the bridge, wow. I took the behind the fun tour on Legend a few years back and we visited the bridge and that view was amazing. Imagining me seeing a view like that regularly. Wow. Thanks again.