Soft Serve?

We too are making the jump from CCL to RCI and finding out the many good and bad differences such as no 24 hr ice cream! :(

I just pray RCI has better coffee than CCL!!!! :)

No grill by the pool in Royal either.

Since when? They used to be competitors when I was traveling out there for business...

They have been using Seattle's Best as the included coffee ever since they put a Starbucks on Oasis. Now Starbucks for a fee shops are showing up on more RCL ships.

It's been a while since I sailed Carnival, but the soft serve on Royal is not as good as Carnival. Not even close. The Carnival was more like an ice cream. The Royal product, although decent, is more like a frozen yogurt, or some other dairy product - just not near as creamy.

Don't forget no pens or paper in the stateroom or chocolates on the pillow.

Oh No! I Love the pens! I guess I'll have to bring my Carnival pen!

Will Guest Services give a pen if we ask?

I am making the jump from Carnival to Royal. On Carnival there are 24 hour soft serve ice cream machines free of charge, do they have these on Royal?

What ship are you sailing? That may allow some to give a more detailed answer.

It's been a while since I sailed Carnival, but the soft serve on Royal is not as good as Carnival. Not even close. The Carnival was more like an ice cream. The Royal product, although decent, is more like a frozen yogurt, or some other dairy product - just not near as creamy.

Thats because it IS frozen yogurt! :D

Is this the same thing as the Ben and Jerry's on the ship? Is it still free? We are on Enchantment and have some ice cream lovers travelling with us.

No, Ben & Jerry's is hand scooped and extra cost.

The soft-serve is self-serve and free.

Note that real ice cream is also available in the Main Dining Room for dessert, also no extra charge.

Edited by clarea

I've only been on the Freedom Class ships 3 times, and the only time I found a huge line was on seas days - mid afternoon. All other times, there were no more than 3-4 people in line - a 2-3 minute wait at most.

But messy.. yes, sometimes. After all, it's self serve, and since the machine is closest to the H2O zone, it's used mainly by kids who might not be as neat with their technique as you or I might be.

But, I still grab 3-4 cones during the cruise.

No, Ben & Jerry's is hand scooped and extra cost.

The soft-serve is self-serve and free.

Note that real ice cream is also available in the Main Dining Room for dessert, also no extra charge.

Don't know about the other ships, but on Navigator hand scooped real ice cream was also available in Windjammer for dessert at dinner times.

Edited by OKC Cruisers

They have been using Seattle's Best as the included coffee ever since they put a Starbucks on Oasis. Now Starbucks for a fee shops are showing up on more RCL ships.

Thx, I knew about the brands on the ships, my surprise was in the comment that Starbucks owned SBC.

Sounded to me a lot like "Coke owns Pepsi" , but I guess I have not kept up with the mergers and acquisitions in the coffee world