Tjapukai Abpriginal Cultural Park, Cains

seahappy08

We've been to Far North Queensland many times, but we always stay in Port Douglas. Thus, I have never been to the Tjapukai Aboriginal Culture Park, but here's a link to reviews on Trip Advisor by hundreds of people who have been there. Perhaps their reviews will help you decide if it's a place you'd like to visit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1178649-d256519-Reviews-Tjapukai_Aboriginal_Cultural_Park-Caravonica_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html

Another option for the Cairns region is the train and/or Skyrail to Kuranda. I've done this twice and while I wasn't crazy about the train, the Skyrail is really cool. (I'd probably recommend taking the Skyrail both ways because it's cool and because of time constraints with the cruise.) Kuranda is a bit touristy, but there are some decent attractions and a market.

We've been to Far North Queensland many times, but we always stay in Port Douglas. Thus, I have never been to the Tjapukai Aboriginal Culture Park, but here's a link to reviews on Trip Advisor by hundreds of people who have been there. Perhaps their reviews will help you decide if it's a place you'd like to visit.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1178649-d256519-Reviews-Tjapukai_Aboriginal_Cultural_Park-Caravonica_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html

Another option for the Cairns region is the train and/or Skyrail to Kuranda. I've done this twice and while I wasn't crazy about the train, the Skyrail is really cool. (I'd probably recommend taking the Skyrail both ways because it's cool and because of time constraints with the cruise.) Kuranda is a bit touristy, but there are some decent attractions and a market.

Yes we did that last time we went so wanted to try something different. We also stayed in Port Dorglas which we enjoyed.

• 2 months later...
Guest zafra63

We used Cairns Table land tours. They were fantastic. Different itineraries, plenty of options. We preferred this, comparing it what the ship can offer, this one stands out.

We wanted to visit here but need to know what transport is best to use? Is it worth the visit? We have stayed in Port Douglas before but not sure what to do in Cains for the day? We will be in Yorkey's Knob on 13 Oct 2016.

What to do in Cairns for a day ? IMO, you have two choices...Great Barrier Reef or the Aboriginal Park as you mentioned. We loved the park and its much better than Kuranda IMO. I learned how to play the didgeridoo and throw a boomerang :). How to get there ? There're busses that leave from Cairns...you can probably find them by googling.

There is much more to do in Cairns than just the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park or the GBR. If you are arriving into Yorkey's Knob they will usually have private shuttles which are around $15 per person that will take you into Cairns CBD. There is a huge public pool on the Esplanade and then you can walk along the Esplanade and choose a nice restaurant to have lunch.

There is the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and the Kuranda Train, if you have never been to Cairns before this is very popular. If you choose to do the Skyrail consider getting off 2/3 of the way up at Barron Falls Station and hop on an ATV ride which is great fun then continue your journey up to Kuranda. Kuranda is village that opens when the first train arrives around 10am and shuts when the last train leaves around 3pm..... before and after that there is nothing open. There are lots of touristy shops for you to wander around and if that doesn't suit you, wander down towards the Skyrail/Train station and have lunch at Kuranda Hotel. The food is very good and reasonably priced. There is also Rainforestation near Kuranda although you will have to find a tour company that will take you there as they don't have buses at Yorkey's.

There is also Mareeba and Atherton where you will find coffee plantations, waterfalls, tea plantations etc. You will have to do that with a private tour company though.

South there is Paronella Park and Mamu Skywalk which, if you haven't been there is another option. Depends on the time you have in port of course whether you would be able to go there as it is 1 3/4 hours south past Innisfail.

So you see there is much more than just the GBR to see and do in Cairns. Enjoy your time here and I hope you get to see something memorable.

There is much more to do in Cairns than just the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park or the GBR. If you are arriving into Yorkey's Knob they will usually have private shuttles which are around $15 per person that will take you into Cairns CBD. There is a huge public pool on the Esplanade and then you can walk along the Esplanade and choose a nice restaurant to have lunch.

There is the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and the Kuranda Train' date=' if you have never been to Cairns before this is very popular. If you choose to do the Skyrail consider getting off 2/3 of the way up at Barron Falls Station and hop on an ATV ride which is great fun then continue your journey up to Kuranda. Kuranda is village that opens when the first train arrives around 10am and shuts when the last train leaves around 3pm..... before and after that there is nothing open. There are lots of touristy shops for you to wander around and if that doesn't suit you, wander down towards the Skyrail/Train station and have lunch at Kuranda Hotel. The food is very good and reasonably priced. There is also Rainforestation near Kuranda although you will have to find a tour company that will take you there as they don't have buses at Yorkey's.

There is also Mareeba and Atherton where you will find coffee plantations, waterfalls, tea plantations etc. You will have to do that with a private tour company though.

South there is Paronella Park and Mamu Skywalk which, if you haven't been there is another option. Depends on the time you have in port of course whether you would be able to go there as it is 1 3/4 hours south past Innisfail.

So you see there is much more than just the GBR to see and do in Cairns. Enjoy your time here and I hope you get to see something memorable.[/quote']

I agree that there is lots to do in Cairns, as well as the Cairns region.

In addition, Cairns Botanical Gardens is well worth a visit.