Oasis in dry dock

jray2504

You will probably get better answers on the RCCL board.

Ok... Where the heck am I then??!!

Rumour does have it that Oasis should dry dock in 2014 as Royal sends all new ships in every 5 yrs. Oasis set sail Dec 2009 so it's assumed that it will dd in 2014 or early 2015. Depending on whether they're able to do it in Freeport (if they expand their capabilities) or in the USA OR if she'll have to sail back to Europe to do it will determine how long she'll be out of commission. My guess is they'll sync dry dock to correspond with the Sunshine inaugural to "replace" Oasis in the interim.

My guesses and only that ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

I am so sorry for my post here about the oasis. I should not have posted it here on carvival site. I am going on the dream the first of may this year went last year and loved the dream. again I am sorry for the post.:mad:

No problem. The Carnival moderator moved your post here to the Royal Caribbean board.

Rumour does have it that Oasis should dry dock in 2014 as Royal sends all new ships in every 5 yrs. Oasis set sail Dec 2009 so it's assumed that it will dd in 2014 or early 2015. Depending on whether they're able to do it in Freeport (if they expand their capabilities) or in the USA OR if she'll have to sail back to Europe to do it will determine how long she'll be out of commission. My guess is they'll sync dry dock to correspond with the Sunshine inaugural to "replace" Oasis in the interim.

Anything with the Project Sunshine ships is a guess right now but alot of the serious speculation :rolleyes: is that the first one will go to Bayonne, NJ to replace the Explorer of the Seas which is also going into a dry docking in 2014.

There has been alot of talk on a different thread about where the Oasis will go for her dry dock time as there are a limited number of dry docks large enough for her.

Anything with the Project Sunshine ships is a guess right now but alot of the serious speculation :rolleyes: is that the first one will go to Bayonne, NJ to replace the Explorer of the Seas which is also going into a dry docking in 2014.

There has been alot of talk on a different thread about where the Oasis will go for her dry dock time as there are a limited number of dry docks large enough for her.

Hmmm...

Dry dock EX

Interim with Sunshine1

EX returns

Sunshine1 repo cruise to FLL

Sunshine1 interim for Oasis

Oasis TA to dry dock in Europe

A Sunshine repo from NJ (via eastern Caribbean) followed by an Oasis TA

Now THAT would be a B2B I'd be all over... Time to count the pennies ;)

Hmmm...

Dry dock EX

Interim with Sunshine1

EX returns

Sunshine1 repo cruise to FLL

Sunshine1 interim for Oasis

Oasis TA to dry dock in Europe

A Sunshine repo from NJ (via eastern Caribbean) followed by an Oasis TA

Now THAT would be a B2B I'd be all over... Time to count the pennies ;)

I'm still going to go with the speculation that the first Sunshine ship will be homeported in NJ to replace the Explorer. My reasoning is that NCL is putting it's newest ship class (Breakaway) there and Royal is gonna compete head to head with them with a new ship of their own. The Explorer would then redeploy to a new homeport after it's dry dock period.

There are a few scenario's out there about dry docking Oasis Class ships and with a 3rd one now to be built and placed in service in 2016 I'm sure there will be a whole lot more relocating of ships.

The Oasis will go to dry dock, probably in Europe. That will allow for great Transatlantic cruises each way. Probably later in the year around October / November time.

Where did you get this information? I ask because there is morerumorsabout 2014 not 2013.:)

I have never seen a ship being replaced by another one when it goes to dry dock temporarily. If project Sunshine is going to Bayonne, there is where she will go from day 1. Most probably a Transatlantic that will end in Bayonne.

Does Grand Bahama Shipyard not have a dock big enough for Oasis? There must be a closer one than having to trek all the way to Europe for it. 2014/2015 does sound about right though.

Supposedly it's not big enough for Oasis right now.

Does Grand Bahama Shipyard not have a dock big enough for Oasis? There must be a closer one than having to trek all the way to Europe for it. 2014/2015 does sound about right though.
It's the width of Oasis that's the main problem.

I have never seen a ship being replaced by another one when it goes to dry dock temporarily. If project Sunshine is going to Bayonne, there is where she will go from day 1. Most probably a Transatlantic that will end in Bayonne.

Typically they don't replace ships but with the agreement between RC and Port Everglades to have 17 million passengers pass thru the doors I can't see them letting 6-8 weeks go by without a ship (Oasis) there and 6-8 weeks the following year for Allure to dry dock. That's around 100,000 passengers not in that tally.

Have read somewhere that RCL owns 40% of the Grand Bahamas shipyard. Makes sense to expand their own property, especially with a third (and maybe 4th) Oasis class ship coming. However, not being familiar with the layout there, could that be physically unrealistic?

Rick

Typically they don't replace ships but with the agreement between RC and Port Everglades to have 17 million passengers pass thru the doors I can't see them letting 6-8 weeks go by without a ship (Oasis) there and 6-8 weeks the following year for Allure to dry dock. That's around 100,000 passengers not in that tally.

Its an interesting dilemma. Thinking out loud, they could always schedule Liberty OTS (who's likely already there in FL at that time for shorter runs) to take over Oasis' 7 night itineraries while she's gone and perhaps replace her shorter cruises with Explorer when she comes out of dry dock. In that scenario, you'd only miss out on some shorter cruises for a period of time until EOS is ready, which they could of course cover with another ship if they so choose.

Its an interesting dilemma. Thinking out loud, they could always schedule Liberty OTS (who's likely already there in FL at that time for shorter runs) to take over Oasis' 7 night itineraries while she's gone and perhaps replace her shorter cruises with Explorer when she comes out of dry dock. In that scenario, you'd only miss out on some shorter cruises for a period of time until EOS is ready, which they could of course cover with another ship if they so choose.

Interesting thought ~but~ it's not going to get the overall numbers where 'need' to be (assuming what we currently see is the 'need to be').

Original 14 day period

Oasis 12,000

Liberty (2x 5 night, 1x4 night) 11,000

Change Oasis to Liberty, Liberty to Ex

Liberty 7400

Ex (2x 5 night, 1x4 night) 9300

They would still be down 6000+ passengers every 2 weeks. hmmmm Maybe Allure will have to flip and do 3/4 nighters to the Bahamas to make up for those extra 6000 pax/week :eek:

When you do the math - 17,000,000 passengers in 10 years was a hefty goal considering the 1st year was without Allure in the mix and only having Oasis and Allure year round. Just doing the straight math of 17mil/10/52 is 32692pax a week every week of the year. If you consider that they're only sailing 2 ships for almost 1/2 the year... I honestly don't see how they're coming near that 17mil figure!

OK my brain hurts - too much math this early in the morning... only time will tell!

OK my brain hurts - too much math this early in the morning... only time will tell!

Haha ditto. I don't think they can realistically meet those numbers with either Oasis or Allure out of the picture in dry dock. I suspect Port Everglades will understand that.

I'm pretty sure the port authority would understand and allow for the change in numbers due to the ship being in a repair status. If Royal were planning to completely relocate one of the Oasis ships permanently that would be a different story. Even with your thinking about using a Sunshine ship as a substitute the numbers would still not be met. The projected passenger capacity of the Sunshine ships is 4100-4300 passengers which is only slightly more than a Freedom Class ship.

Archived