Anchorage to Denali area and...

ge0rgette2

Back to Whittier...

Anchorage to Denali and then back to Whittier to grab our cruise.

We have 3-4 nights before the cruise to play around w/ and wanted to some land stuff..

I priced thru the cruiseline and it's double the price for the 4nights.

I looked into the railroads, $$$ but i get it.

I could rent a car and stay in Tal.. something - Forgot the spelling.. sorry! My bad!

Can stay there for one night - head into Denali and stay 2, then back to Tal...

What do you think?

head all the way into Denali and do 3 nights there before heading back to Anchorage to go to Whittier..

Could really use some help here :) hehe, thanks!

Talkeetna is the town you're thinking of.

Anchorage to Denali is about 5 hrs, so easily do-able in a day, Talkeetna is about halfway between Anchorage and Denali.

There is a mileage chart in this link:

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

The State of Alaska site is also quite helpful.

https://www.travelalaska.com/

And look down the page for a post called HELPFUL HINTS for Planning a Visit to Alaska. It has web sites for many of the ports, towns, parks, etc

Edited by mapleleaves

Talkeetna is a popular overnight spot for people who arrive in Anchorage late afternoon/early evening. This is particulary true of people arriving from the east coast who've had a long flight plus a 3-4 hr time change to deal with.

They don't feel comfortable driving all the way to Denali but are short on time and want to get halfway there.

If you're concerned about booking hotels, but don't have a definite itinerary, book rooms for a couple of different scenarios. ie book a room in Talkeetna for Day 1 but if your final itinerary has you bypassing Talkeetna, cancel the room. Book 3 nites in Denali and if you only need 2 nites, cancel 1. Just be very aware of cancel fees/dates and if the room requires a 3 nite minimum.

Same thing with a car. Book it now to get the best rate. Enterprise on Int'l airport Rd was running $30 a day .... 6 months from now it will be $75/$100 a day. Again, watch for cancel fees.

We did a three night tour with Alaska Tours and Travel.

Bus from Seward to Denali on first day, two overnights in Denali with the TWT on the second day, then returning to Anchorage, overnighting there and third day flying home.

We had the domed rail for Denali to Anchorage, but it was cancelled due to a rock slide. We had to be bussed to Anchorage. No refund for the expensive rail trip.