First time -Alaska summer 2017

hlsess

We are taking a family trip next summer to Alaska. Not even sure which boat or itinerary. It's a group of 12. Ages 18-80. Grandmother with her children and grandchildren. She is planning with her TA. I'm just curious about activities onboard for the grandchildren. Any other tips etc. We are not big cruisers...

Hi. You don't mention specifically but I assume you may be looking the the Silver Shadow since you are posting on this board. There aren't really any special facilities for younger people but it looks like the grandchildren are technically adults anyway. Mostly there will be daily trivia games, a library to borrow movies from, and a few talks that may interest them (some of the fitness instructors have presentations and a cooking demo is usually included one day). During warmer cruises, pool volleyball and such is sometimes played but the weather is Alaska tends not to cooperate for much activity in the pool area. There is a singing show or movie each night in the theater. Silversea is a quieter, more relaxing atmosphere than the ships with waterslides and circus acts. That being said, there are some very adventurous excursions in Alaska such as ATVs and Zodiacs that they might really enjoy. It is a beautiful place to cruise so enjoy!

As a fervent Silversea devotee, I reluctantly suggest you consider a bigger ship for a family group of 12. We took our family of 15 to Alaska on the Celebrity Summit out of Seattle. We had much younger children in the group which went from 8years old to grandparents in their 70s. We had our TA arrange private tours which were a much less expensive way to go. Considering that SS is all inclusive, you might be paying for drinks you really don't want the "kids" to have.

There is no easy comparison between Celebrity and SS. But, sometimes a more relaxed, mainstream cruise with MANY more entertainment options, is better for a large family group. My kids and grandchildren loved the Celebrity cruise. (My husband and I would never have chosen Celebrity for a cruise for just us.)Your TA should be able to give you helpful details. Good luck. Alaska is wonderful!