Balcony Guarantee Upgrade

exarkkun

Hello CruiseCritic!

So, our fabulous TA just scored up an upgrade from an oceanview stateroom to a Balcony Guarantee. It's our first cruise (on Vision of the Seas 9/29/14) so the husband and I are super, super excited! :D We upgraded after we had made final payment and our price was great, $216.36 total. I have a few questions though: :confused:

I've ordered things for our original room (anniversary decorations, chocolate covered strawberries, a juice package) is there a chance our items could not get delivered to our new room assignment? We're still 33 days out from the cruise

Luggage tags: When will we generally know the room number so we can fill that in on them?

It's a guarantee but also an upgrade for us. In fantasyland where I (and the upgrade fairy) tend to reside, does that mean if every other balcony got booked between now and then we'd be upgraded once more?

Thanks so much for all your input!

Hello CruiseCritic!

So, our fabulous TA just scored up an upgrade from an oceanview stateroom to a Balcony Guarantee. It's our first cruise (on Vision of the Seas 9/29/14) so the husband and I are super, super excited! :D We upgraded after we had made final payment and our price was great, $216.36 total. I have a few questions though: :confused:

I've ordered things for our original room (anniversary decorations, chocolate covered strawberries, a juice package) is there a chance our items could not get delivered to our new room assignment? We're still 33 days out from the cruise

Luggage tags: When will we generally know the room number so we can fill that in on them?

It's a guarantee but also an upgrade for us. In fantasyland where I (and the upgrade fairy) tend to reside, does that mean if every other balcony got booked between now and then we'd be upgraded once more?

Thanks so much for all your input!

Your actual stateroom can be assigned anytime from now to check in at the pier. Typically it is 1 - 2 weeks out for the assignment. You can add your stateroom number to the luggage tags at the pier with the porters if you want, so don't worry about that timing.

The stuff you ordered should automatically be transferred but have your TA stay on top of that with RCI - they will be able to handle that for you.

The guarantee means that you will receive at least the category that you were placed in, but it is possible that a higher category could be issued. It all depends on availability of your assigned category and the order that you were placed on it. I would say the odds are low but you never know......

Enjoy your first of what I am certain will be many cruises!

Did you book all those items yourself?

If so -- you need to call Ship Services and make certain that everything will be in your new cabin.

As an example - on HAL when you cancel one cabin and book another one -- all excursions, treats, specialty restaurants are automatically cancelled.

Did you book all those items yourself?

If so -- you need to call Ship Services and make certain that everything will be in your new cabin.

As an example - on HAL when you cancel one cabin and book another one -- all excursions, treats, specialty restaurants are automatically cancelled.

From their signature it looks like the OP is booked with with RCI and from their discussion booked through a TA. As long as you retain your original booking number with the stateroom upgrade your booking information is retained. But as mentioned this is something that the TA - especially since they originated the upgrade - can and should manage with RCI.

It would only be an issue that could risk the separate items being cancelled if the original reservation was cancelled and re-booked with a new booking number with the upgrade. And this too is something for the TA to manage. Not saying that the OP shouldn't double check with RCI directly, however, if they want to be sure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Correct on all 3. I am booked with RCl through a TA, and all the extras I booked myself. I've alerted her to the fact and she's going to double check for me since I called them myself and I got the "all inquiries must be made through your TA". Frustrating, but I'll do what I have to. I really need the transition to go as smoothly as possible as all these things, including the upgrade, aer anniversary surprises for my husband.

Correct on all 3. I am booked with RCl through a TA, and all the extras I booked myself. I've alerted her to the fact and she's going to double check for me since I called them myself and I got the "all inquiries must be made through your TA". Frustrating, but I'll do what I have to. I really need the transition to go as smoothly as possible as all these things, including the upgrade, aer anniversary surprises for my husband.

Just stay on top of your TA with this as they "own" the reservation. Through their relationships with TA's, RCI is not allowed to modify a booking made through one. I'm sure it will all work out.

Just FYI 75% of all cruise bookings are made through TA's, and there is a very strong and dependent relationship with the cruise lines and TA's as a result. So as not to risk confusion or unintended errors on their part, the cruise lines will not interfere with bookings made through them and will rely on the TA to handle all the details. This is the case even with the various things you can arrange directly through the cruise line with an existing booking.

Your situation is not unique and your TA should be able to take care of those details for you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind