Need help with Dania Beach pre-cruise hotel?

KDvacation

Holiday Inn is accepting reservations for a new hotel at this address.

205 N. Federal Hwy,

Dania Beach, Florida

I'd love to stay at Hollywood Beach or 17th Street before our Oasis of the Seas cruise, but it's very pricey for the dates that we need. The above Holiday Inn is not yet open and rates are very reasonable.

Can anyone advise me about what will be within walking distance of this hotel? Restaurants, drug stores, trolley or bus, etc.

Thanks!:)

My son passes that construction site every day on his way to work in Hollywood Beach So I asked him and he says that the hotel is no where near ready and he doesn't see how it can be ready for about eight months. He says there isn't even paint on the exterior walls yet. Also, staff will have to be hired and trained, the interior finsihed and furnished.

His opinion based on ten years of driving that street six days a week is that it is not a good location other than it is convenient to the southern end of Fort Lauderdale airport.

I don't know when your cruise is or why hotel prices are so high at the time you plan to stay. I also don't know if you are flying in and will need public transportation such as taxis.

Google maps has a photographic "tour" of the area, but it must have been filmed before the hotel was even started. Looking at the Google map tour will give you a sense of the neighborhood.

This Holiday Inn Express is still under construction. I would imagine that it will be several months (at least 4 to 6) before it is open for business. As far as what is nearby: There is a Walgreens drugstore (also on Federal Highway) just 2 1/2 blocks south of the hotel. This Walgreens also features a liquor store. Also within two blocks of this hotel is Jaxsons Ice Cream Parlor. They have a full menu of sandwiches, salads, entrees, and steaks in addition to homemade ice cream. And, my favorite place on the Dania Beach Fishing Pier is The Quarterdeck Restaurant. If you sit outside on the back deck, you can see the cruise ships depart Port Everglades. This restaurant is about 2 miles or so from the new Holiday Inn Express, so you'd have to take a cab, but boy is it worth it. Their food is pretty darn good as well. In what month are you cruising?

There is a decent little Super 8 hotel right down the street from that new Holiday Inn.

They do not allow cruise parking (if you are driving) but do have an airport and cruise Port shuttle.

I know the owners and they do a huge business from cruisers in the season.

Unfortunately, rates are not cheap anywhere that time of the year.

Cruisecontrol has some good area suggestions, and there is also Tark's, just a little bit south on US1, which is a legendary local restaurant with great wings, clams, seafood, etc.

Thanks for responding. I've had a few days without internet access.

We are cruising over New Year's week. We plan to arrive a day or 2 before our cruise so I assume the prices are high due to Christmas holiday.

It sounds like the area doesn't offer much and any hotel savings would be spent on car rental or taxi. I'll probably book near 17th something refundable and try my luck at priceline, etc. when it's closer to departure.

• 2 months later...

I hope this is not considered hijacking this thread, BUT we have a reservation for the Super 8 Dania Beach this Friday for a pre-cruise stay. Reviews indicate this is not a great neighborhood. Would it be safe for us to walk to a nearby restaurant, such as Jaxon's, from there for an early evening meal (still daylight)? I booked it since it was cheap, reviews indicated it was fine for a pre-cruise stay and it has airport/cruise shuttle. Thanks!

Edited by LHARTWICK

I hope this is not considered hijacking this thread, BUT we have a reservation for the Super 8 Dania Beach this Friday for a pre-cruise stay. Reviews indicate this is not a great neighborhood. Would it be safe for us to walk to a nearby restaurant, such as Jaxon's, from there for an early evening meal (still daylight)? I booked it since it was cheap, reviews indicated it was fine for a pre-cruise stay and it has airport/cruise shuttle. Thanks!

In my opinion, walking from the Super 8 which is at 333 South Federal Highway in Dania to Jaxson's while still daylight would be fine. I would do it without a second thought. But, make sure you are back to your hotel before the sun goes down. Along Federal Highway, this is an unpolished area, but not a bad area per se. Just a block east of this hotel is a nice neighborhood with some very nice houses. In south Florida, you can be on Federal Highway where there can be petty criminals after dark, and then walk two blocks east (a world away), and there are $400,000 homes. Go to Google Maps and look at the satelite view to scout the area.

Edited by oncruisecontrol

oncruisecontrol: thank you for your reply - very helpful! My instints match your advice. Yes - I looked at the area on Google Earth. We try to not go out at night regardless of where we are anyway. We plan to have an early dinner then get some rest before embarkation day. Yea!!

oncruisecontrol: thank you for your reply - very helpful! My instints match your advice. Yes - I looked at the area on Google Earth. We try to not go out at night regardless of where we are anyway. We plan to have an early dinner then get some rest before embarkation day. Yea!!

You are most welcome. Enjoy your trip!

Just returned from our cruise on Saturday. The Super 8 Dania Beach was just fine for a one night pre-cruise stay. The room was clean and the bed was comfy - more than I can say for some places we've paid $200+ for!! When we arrived at FLL, we had to wait about 25 minutes for the shuttle, but not a big deal. We ended up taking a cab to the cruise terminal the next morning. The Super 8 shuttle doesn't leave until 11:00 AM and we like to be one of the first to board. We were in boarding group #1, so it worked out well. We ate at Jaxson's on Friday night. The walk was easy and only about 5-10 minutes. It was great!! A really neat place with great food!

Just returned from our cruise on Saturday. The Super 8 Dania Beach was just fine for a one night pre-cruise stay. The room was clean and the bed was comfy - more than I can say for some places we've paid $200+ for!! When we arrived at FLL, we had to wait about 25 minutes for the shuttle, but not a big deal. We ended up taking a cab to the cruise terminal the next morning. The Super 8 shuttle doesn't leave until 11:00 AM and we like to be one of the first to board. We were in boarding group #1, so it worked out well. We ate at Jaxson's on Friday night. The walk was easy and only about 5-10 minutes. It was great!! A really neat place with great food!

Thanks for reporting back to us with your experiences!

• 6 months later...

I am hoping that someone who lives in the area will advise or someone who has stayed at this recently opened property.

I have a reservation that I made last summer at the new Holiday Inn Express on Federal HWY in Dania.

Now I'm wondering if it's a safe area and IF our car rental will be safe overnight in the parking lot?

Might we be better off staying over in Plantation at the Staybridge Suites. I'm trying to use my point balance with IHG hotels. However, I only have 22,000 points to use :(:confused:

I am hoping that someone who lives in the area will advise or someone who has stayed at this recently opened property.

I have a reservation that I made last summer at the new Holiday Inn Express on Federal HWY in Dania.

Now I'm wondering if it's a safe area and IF our car rental will be safe overnight in the parking lot?

Might we be better off staying over in Plantation at the Staybridge Suites. I'm trying to use my point balance with IHG hotels. However, I only have 22,000 points to use :(:confused:

All the antiques stores in the area are pretty scarey! :eek:

All the antiques stores in the area are pretty scarey! :eek:

Do you happen to know about anything in the Plantation area? Wondering about the Staybridge suites? OR, the Holiday Inn Express in Plantation? even though they are further from the port sounds as if the area may be much better?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Do you happen to know about anything in the Plantation area? Wondering about the Staybridge suites? OR, the Holiday Inn Express in Plantation? even though they are further from the port sounds as if the area may be much better?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

And if the antique shops aren't scarey enough then nearby Jimmie's Chocolate Cafe and The Dairy Belle should scare the bejeebers out of you! :eek: