Duty on onboard purchases

denmarks

Are items sold onboard duty free? Do you have to declare expensive items on your customs form? Lets say you buy a watch or jewelry for thousands of dollars.

Even if you only spend a few hundred dollars do you have to indicate it on your customs form?

Are items sold onboard duty free? Do you have to declare expensive items on your customs form? Lets say you buy a watch or jewelry for thousands of dollars.

Even if you only spend a few hundred dollars do you have to indicate it on your customs form?

Anything you buy while outside of the country that you bring back should be declared, without regard to where it is purchased. Duty Free means that the seller did not have to pay a duty on the item when they imported it to the place they sold it to you. When you come home you have to pay a duty on anything that exceeds your allowance.

Would you assume that everything sold on the ship is duty free?

The short answer is it depends. I believe alcohol and jewelry,etc. may be "duty free". Clothing, etc would not be

Your exemption is $800 per person (may be combined), one liter of liquor per person.

On one trip I bought some jewelry for my wife that was about $1600 and we used both our exemptions.

The short answer is it depends. I believe alcohol and jewelry,etc. may be "duty free". Clothing, etc would not be

Your exemption is $800 per person (may be combined), one liter of liquor per person.

On one trip I bought some jewelry for my wife that was about $1600 and we used both our exemptions.

As stated "duty free" only refers to the seller of the goods not having to pay an export duty on what is sold, and this would include clothing. Even if they pay an export duty an import duty may be due when those goods are brought into the US. If the goods fall under an exemption then no import duty will be assessed.

As stated "duty free" only refers to the seller of the goods not having to pay an export duty on what is sold, and this would include clothing. Even if they pay an export duty an import duty may be due when those goods are brought into the US. If the goods fall under an exemption then no import duty will be assessed.

^^ This.

Anything you buy on the ship has to be declared in your Customs Declaration. If you do not go over your duty free exemption, you would only declare the total cost of everything you bought and are importing. If you go over the duty free allotment, you itemize list each item you purchased.

Save all receipts from purchases made both on the ship and ashore.

Are items sold onboard duty free? some of them are, yes Do you have to declare expensive items on your customs form? oh hell yes Lets say you buy a watch or jewelry for thousands of dollars.

Even if you only spend a few hundred dollars do you have to indicate it on your customs form? again YES

you will receive a Customs form a couple of days prior to the end of the cruise. as was already stated if you are below total exemption( families may combine their allowance) there is no need to itemize

save your receipts and have them on hand at Customs. while chances are they won't require you to produce them you don't want to be caught without them.

I firmly believe the ships have to advise customs of large purchases. In the past we've never come close to our limit, but on one trip, we went hog wild and bought every family member a new watch, bringing us well over the amount allowed per person, duty free. I kept all of our receipts (just in case), and completed the customs form as required, and sure enough, we were asked to step aside so they could examine our purchases and verify the amounts. We happily paid the duty required, as the watches were unique gifts that would have cost much more at home, if were able to get them at all.

Just remember, if you don't declare an expensive piece of jewellery (or several), and you are discovered, not only do you have to pay the duty, you will be fined on the spot as well for failure to declare. And, the next time you travel, you can be sure you'll be pulled aside for inspection.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think you might be right "ger_77" and will add I think some of the major jewelers in the Caribbean also may send reports to CBP of customers who made large purchases...... particularly St. Thomas seeing that is U.S.. Territory. I could be wrong but that is my speculation. If you will note, they always ask what ship you are on although I acknowledge there is more than one reason for that. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

I think you might be right "ger_77" and will add I think some of the major jewelers in the Caribbean also may send reports to CBP of customers who made large purchases...... particularly St. Thomas seeing that is U.S.. Territory. I could be wrong but that is my speculation. If you will note, they always ask what ship you are on although I acknowledge there is more than one reason for that. ;)

This puzzles me. If I buy something in PR or the USVI isn't that the same as buying it in mainland US?

Cruisers disembarking in Galveston, Texas, now pay state taxes on all liquor and tobacco products carried off the ship after the cruise. This is a new state tax. There are no "free minimums". Even a free champagne bottle you get on the cruise is taxed. As I understand the law, it does not matter if you are a Texas resident or not -- you still have to pay tax on any amount of liquor or tobacco. I don't like this and am asking my state reps to please repeal this.

http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/explained-duty-free-shopping-and-bringing-alcohol-cigarettes-back-from-a-cruise/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160854

Edited by Jimnbigd

This puzzles me. If I buy something in PR or the USVI isn't that the same as buying it in mainland US?

If purchased in Puerto Rico, yes, it is the same as purchasing in any U.S. state.

St. Thomas/U.S.V.I. is a duty free island which makes a distinction.

You do not declare purchases made in Puerto Rico but you must for items purchased in U.S.V.I.

I firmly believe the ships have to advise customs of large purchases. In the past we've never come close to our limit, but on one trip, we went hog wild and bought every family member a new watch, bringing us well over the amount allowed per person, duty free. I kept all of our receipts (just in case), and completed the customs form as required, and sure enough, we were asked to step aside so they could examine our purchases and verify the amounts. We happily paid the duty required, as the watches were unique gifts that would have cost much more at home, if were able to get them at all.

Just remember, if you don't declare an expensive piece of jewellery (or several), and you are discovered, not only do you have to pay the duty, you will be fined on the spot as well for failure to declare. And, the next time you travel, you can be sure you'll be pulled aside for inspection.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have been told by CBSA (Cdn customs) that all ships must provide a list of onboard purchases to their department. They said whether they act on it depends on the exemption declaration unless you display some "attitude".

I have been told by CBSA (Cdn customs) that all ships must provide a list of onboard purchases to their department. They said whether they act on it depends on the exemption declaration unless you display some "attitude".

Same information is required to be reported to USA Customs. Additionally when ship returns to disembark in a USA Port, custom boards the ships reviews the large purchase list and has the ship contact those passengers they want to see before allowing any passengers to disembark. You may or may not recall where you've been on cruise waiting for disembarkation to start hearing passengers names announced over the PA. In most cases they're being called to meet with customs.

On one cruise my friend received a call in the cabin to bring her passport, and receipts for all purchases and than go to specific room on the ship. She was perplexed as to why. I explained to her that it because she made $1,800.00 jewelry purchase on board the ship. Not to be nervous . Just be polite and answer all questions honestly. She did just that and was not required to pay an duty on the amount over her $800 exemption.

I purchased an expensive necklace on a Celebrity ship. The day before we disembarked, I received a letter in my cabin saying I had to report to a special room on the ship, before 7am, to pay the US Custom's fees. When I reported to the room, the Customs officials had a list of names of those who needed to report, and I pay duty.

People confuse the term "Duty free" all the time. For purchases, that term just means the store didn't have to pay any taxes on the item and they pass that savings on to you. But US Customs Duty is entirely different. When you buy anything from a foreign country, it must be declared. If you go over your personal exemption, you must then itemize every purchase and price, and you must have your receipts. If you don't go over your exemption, then you only need to write down the total cost of all the items you purchased.

• 4 months later...

I agree, a lot depends on your ATTITUDE. We recently cruised January 2016. 2 of 4 members of our party each made on board purchases of over $2k. Which they did not declare it on their customs forms. A soon as we disembarked our party was pulled over by customs. The 2 individuals were asked if they made any purchases. The customs official said something to the effect of "I'm giving you a chance to come clean".

Both people in our party did 'come clean' and admitted the purchases were made and the items were not previously declared. The acted very humble to the customs agents. I believe that because of this attitude they were not fined. I also believe were were flagged because the purchases were reported by the cruise line. They will also be watched in the future by customs.