Carnival Dream Balcony Stateroom 6490

mstechr

I took a video of this stateroom for any interested people. We just got home tonight so I don't have it available to share just yet.

The room was nice and we enjoyed that the bed was setup facing the windows so we could enjoy a nice view in the mornings.

There are some things to know before booking this room.

1. The balcony is about double the size of the the other 8A balcony staterooms and you can enjoy a lounger out there. Very nice.

2. If you are traveling with people in 6484 which is next balcony towards the front (also a large balcony) be aware that the divider cannot be opened between the balconies. Opening the divider blocks the door for 6490. We were aware of this before the cruise so it was not a surprise to us.

3. The light for the bathroom is in an odd spot and I never got used to it. The light is to the left of the bathroom door hinges. I repeatedly opened the door before remembering where it was located and had to close everything up to turn the light on. This sounds like a little thing but at night when it's pitch black it's an issue.

4. This stateroom does not directly connect to the main hallway, it's in a little "sub hallway" with room 6492. We were locked out of our stateroom because the door of the "sub hallway" which joined the main hallway was closed and our room keys would not open the door so we could get to our door. The main hallway door was coded to the people who had 6492. This situation was handled poorly by guest services but that is another story.

5. We had a rough seas night and we could really feel the swaying, most nights it did not seem more of an issue than it did in any other location on the ship.

Hope this info helps someone who is considering this room.

I see the balcony looks bigger but so does the room???/

Is this room bigger than a regular room.

Please tell more about this "sub hallway".

Was there privacy from the balconies next to you.....the aft wrap??

thanks

K

I had this stateroom for our 2/27 Eastern cruise on the Dream. We really loved it. I do admit the bathroom light switch was oddly placed but that didn't bother us very much.

We liked this room better than our last balcony room (standard). I would book it again. We did also feel some major rocking on a couple of our nights, but again, we were on a ship so to us it wasn't a big deal.

The sub hallway door was never closed on our cruise. We only saw our balcony neighbors one time when they peeked around the corner. I felt we had great privacy and had no problems with the Lanai down below. This location is quite far from any of the jacuzzis or other organized activities on that deck.

I wasn't able to see any other balcony rooms so I can't compare the size of the room to others. Another thing I forgot is that this room does not have a chair or sofa like the other balcony rooms.

We did not really get a lot of privacy on our balcony, our neighbors in the wrap or their guests kept peeking into our balcony. Of course this is an issue with your neighbors and not a room issue.

Also, I found the little subhallway to magnify noise. My sister came to get us one afternoon and got quite an earful of "private business" from the people who also shared the subhallway. Of course she stepped out into the hallway to afford them privacy but I always wondered if they realized how much of what was going on in their room was being broadcast.

The big thing to me was the issue with the hallway door getting closed. At midnight we were having to find a way to call guest services to come and let us into the subhallway so we could get into our rooms. We suggested they code our keys to let us open that door but they said they couldn't do that. Their solution was just to talk to the neighbors and tell them not to close the door. Right. It didn't work....AND, anyone going down the hallway could close that door. The night before the cruise ended guest services called and said they coded our keys to open that hallway door. I'm not sure why they bothered at that point.

• 3 months later...

I am reviving this thread from a few months back to see if anyone else had this cabin and had any similar issues.Have they started coding both cabins that share this hallway? Has anyone tried to have the divider opened, if traveling with someone in 6484. Was noise from below a problem?

• 2 months later...

Hi.am booked in 6490 in Feb. We have friends in 6494 & 96...I hope that 6492 comes avai so we can grab this one too.....don't think the people in that cabin will like to be surrounded by us...especially with the door locking, we tend to stay up very late....we could be annoyin g if we have to continually knock on their door.....thats crazy. As far as the light goes I am thinking of bringing a night light for the bathroom:)

It almost looks as if you can look straight down to the water? Are you able to see the aft from the balcony as well?

Thanks Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

We have 6490 booked for November Dream cruise, our friends have 6492, 94 and 96. We've had a similar arrangement with our friends in 6492 on the Glory and it's great. It's nice having the little private entryway to the two cabins, just a little extra insulation from noise in the hallway. If I recall correctly, both of our key cards opened the door to the entryway. Generally we left the door propped open during the day unless we were having a siesta. We opened the divider between our two balconies providing a super long wrap around. It was nice in that most times you had a choice of sun or shade any given time of the day.

I'll report back with pics upon our return.

• 4 months later...
We have 6490 booked for November Dream cruise, our friends have 6492, 94 and 96. We've had a similar arrangement with our friends in 6492 on the Glory and it's great. It's nice having the little private entryway to the two cabins, just a little extra insulation from noise in the hallway. If I recall correctly, both of our key cards opened the door to the entryway. Generally we left the door propped open during the day unless we were having a siesta. We opened the divider between our two balconies providing a super long wrap around. It was nice in that most times you had a choice of sun or shade any given time of the day.I'll report back with pics upon our return.

Might you have any pictures of room #6494? Wondering about the size of the room and balcony. I have heard that the room is probably the smallest balcony room but the balcony itself is quite large. Having difficulty finding pictures of any of the end aft rooms (besides the wrap or the one right to the other side). Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived