Oceania vs Seabourn?

lahore

As a stalwart Oceania fan, I was waylaid and I recently cruised for the first time on Seabourn due to a stunningly discounted fare going exactly where I needed to be.

I have written a review comparing our experience on Seabourn with Oceania. It's at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=112767.

I thought Oceania stood up very well against Seabourn, and would definitely not be returning to Seabourn if Oceania was an option.

No doubt I'll draw flack from both Oceania and Seabourn fans, but I'm wearing my flame-proof jacket . :eek::p

Try ths one:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112767

lahore, nice balanaced review. We, too, are not heavy drinkers so the price would have to be discounted. I will likely continue avoiding Seabourn because I don't want to be "sent to my room" to avoid formal nights.

Did you have any observations about smoking on board? What was you opinon of your fellow passengers -- were they as "stuffy" as I have heard reported?

This idea that you are sent to your room on formal nights on Seabourn is ridiculous. First of all, these are formal OPTIONAL nights now which means you are not required to wear a tuxedo or even suit. Secondly, the formal optional code is only for the main restaurant. You can dine in just a jacket, not tie at three alternate sites, the Colonnade, Restaurant 2 and the Patio Grill, weather permitting.

This idea that you are sent to your room on formal nights on Seabourn is ridiculous. First of all, these are formal OPTIONAL nights now which means you are not required to wear a tuxedo or even suit. Secondly, the formal optional code is only for the main restaurant. You can dine in just a jacket, not tie at three alternate sites, the Colonnade, Restaurant 2 and the Patio Grill, weather permitting.

If you actually read the OP's revew instead of searching for thngs to complain about, you would have seen this passage:

On more positive note, we used room service a lot because we don't cruise for formal evenings and my husband didn't bring a jacket. I'm not going to complain about Seabourn's dress code because we knew about that before we came and realised we would not be dining in the dressy dining room, which is just fine by us
Perhaps you mght have couched your post as a matter of education instead of a put-down.

Your link doesn't work.

Sorry, I accidentally put a full stop at the end of the line.

Try ths one:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112767

lahore, nice balanaced review. We, too, are not heavy drinkers so the price would have to be discounted. I will likely continue avoiding Seabourn because I don't want to be "sent to my room" to avoid formal nights.

Did you have any observations about smoking on board? What was you opinon of your fellow passengers -- were they as "stuffy" as I have heard reported?

Thank you for the feeback, and for reading the review. We really knew that not bringing a jacket was going to be a problem; but we are anti-social nasties who live in the tropics so we were well-aware of our choice and its implications and not bothered by it at all.

Smoking was not a problem on board to us, but it was a bit like throwing a dice and it could very easily have been a HUGE problem. If the people on either side of us were smokers I would have been devastated. As it is, I feel a bit like someone who has played Russian Roulette and won...I might not do it again so quickly. The smoking places on deck were not a problem, we just avoided them and that much was pretty much like Oceania (same side even). As for evenings in bars and lounges, well as my review says we aren't evening people on ships so we weren't around to notice.

The other passengers were fine. We mostly do very long Oceania cruises in Asia and the MIddle East which tend to attract a much older crowd: in fact at 53 I have often felt quite young :). The crowd on Seabourn for ten days was a much younger general demographic; and a much more mixed group of nationalities, which we really liked. I should have mentioned that in the review. So no, we had no problem with the other passengers at all. Again though: we did not once go to dinner in the formal dining room, we don't do ship's tours either, and we always had tables for two elsewhere: we really aren't very social on holiday, so we're possibly not the best people to ask. Indeed we often make more friends with the crew than with other passengers :D.

Thank you for this very balanced review.

Your experiences mirror our single Seabourn experience very closely. We particularly enjoyed the ambiance and the concept of the Seabourn Square.

We too would consider them again in the future but only for an exceptional itinerary and price (a rare combination). Otherwise we are quite happy with Oceania.

Hondorner,

Perhaps the post you should reread is your own where you say you do not want to be sent to your room on formal nights. Even though you put it in quotes to me your intentions were clear. I know it's like a knife in the stomach to you when anyone criticizes Oceania or suggests another cruise line may be equal or even better in some respects but just like you we're all entitled to our opinions. You'll be happy to know that for the most part I do love Oceania.

I have been lucky enough to have gone on quite a few great trips over the last six years. We have done most all of the luxury lines and they all have their good points and bad points. Most of the bad points are simply price related. I would simply say that if you don't drink too much, book your own excursions, and book a great big room on the new Oceania vessels, you're probably getting the best value. If you don't care what it cost, then Crystal is the best package to go by, and if you like smaller ships and getting to know half the people on board, then Seabourn is the place for you. You always have to put a price tag on quality, and decide what is important to you on vacation. I think packing your bags under the bed and let someone else drive all night is a fabulous concept, and as long as you keep the itineraries interesting, every cruise is the best one until you book the next!

Now get me to Papeete.

regards

Hondorner,

Perhaps the post you should reread is your own where you say you do not want to be sent to your room on formal nights. Even though you put it in quotes to me your intentions were clear. I know it's like a knife in the stomach to you when anyone criticizes Oceania or suggests another cruise line may be equal or even better in some respects but just like you we're all entitled to our opinions. You'll be happy to know that for the most part I do love Oceania.

Hondorner is right on. Having sailed with SB and O, both 5 times, I would not ever consider SB again. Especially on the smaller ships, no formal wear forget about it! Some people just can't take a response. Especially those that just like to post for whatever reason. Go DON!

We were on the Crystal last summer which advertised three formal nights but had one, the others being resort casual, and the Seabourn Oddesey last winter which also advertised three formal nights in 14 and had one. I'm sure the marketing geniuses at all the luxury lines want to keep their veterans happy but relish the younger crowds with money who wish to wear $300 jeans and a blazer to dinner. I think the real dress code these days are "neat" and "resort casual" that seems to work for all the lines, I doubt anyone is getting sent back to their room unless they're wearing flip flops to a black tie affair, which crosses the line of either option.

ps. Papette is where all the fun starts, and after 15 hours flying, enough travel for the day I would think.

Exactly right, Westmount. One point though. If you book a "great big room" on Oceania you will be paying more than on the luxury lines. I am not saying it's not good value and not worth it (it is) and have done it myself several times but it's not a cost saver by any means.

It's a bit difficult to compare, as ALL the rooms on the Seabourn ships are very good and large, whereas on Oceania not all rooms are created equally. I usually base my cruise choice on itinerary first and foremost, then room/price value proposition. If one was to compare a regular "Penthouse" unit on the Crystal, or Seabourn's and Oceania's new ships, Oceania would seem to provide the best value, followed by........Too close to call, as it really depends on what one considers a perfect cruise. I'm sure I won't be the last guy to say that sailing anywhere on any of these lines with a room you're happy with beats just about any other way of transporting one's self around our little world, no?

Westmount

I have written a review comparing our experience on Seabourn with Oceania.

Hi again lahore. Enjoyed your review – you provide some interesting and useful “compare-and-contrast” points for someone who has cruised once on Oceania (and enjoyed it), but not yet on Seabourn. Many friends & relatives are keen on Seabourn; therefore we may try it sometime. Probably if itinerary/timing were right - our few cruises to date have been chosen for itinerary/timing only. I liked your comments on the positives with Seabourn, especially your account of how civilised disembarkation day was. As newbie cruisers the departure day “hurryupandleave” was startling the first time we experienced it on a cruise ship – and still annoys, even though we understand why it happens. As for some of the negatives; we can live with (or avoid) formal nights - but not so keen on the possibility of smokers on adjoining balconies, since you can’t avoid that (nothing as intolerant as an ex-smoker like me.)

But, ummm, what is “Caviar-in-the-Surf”, please? Which you apparently did not experience?

Caviar in the Surf is part of a very elaborate beach barbecue and party which Seabourn provides on certain itineraries (in warm climates.) At one point after everyone has been tendered from the ship to the beach the captain sails in a small boat carrying waiters and deposits them in the surf with surfboards from which caviar and champagne are served. Guests and staff are in the water and everyone partakes.

Caviar in the Surf is part of a very elaborate beach barbecue and party which Seabourn provides on certain itineraries (in warm climates.) At one point after everyone has been tendered from the ship to the beach the captain sails in a small boat carrying waiters and deposits them in the surf with surfboards from which caviar and champagne are served. Guests and staff are in the water and everyone partakes.

Thanks wripro, I had surmised it might be something like that....Hmm seems a bit odd to me.....I really like caviar - but the surf not so much -despite the fact I actually live near the beach. Would rather enjoy my champagne and caviar in non-sandy and non-surfie comfort.....(And....Ssh....don't tell anyone that I don't like the surf - it's very un-Australian :D).

G'day Emma. How's it going? Sorry I was in a hotel with stupidly expensive internet so I've been off line for a few days. Yes, that's what it is. It's perhaps a cultural thing, but it sounds really cringe-worthy to me.

Hehe, anyway I found a better source. Took a really nice photo of Seabourn restsurant's manger and sent to him. Next thing I know lovely caviar feasting Platter with all the trimmings and a bottle of champers appears at the door. So kind, and much appreciated.

What??? Don't like surf?? Mate...... (downward inflection).

Planning any more trips?

Bora Bora or Moorea yes - but Papeete?

Gotta agree Papeete is not a real garden spot nor is the main island of Tahiti. It is the outter islands in which the charm and alure of polynesia are. Papeete is a sort of a south seas version of San Pedro or Oakland ... Been there 4 times... which is 3 times too many....

Emma chisit,

On Seabourn you can enjoy your caviar any time anywhere. Having it in the surf is a fun option which is not mandated. btw, they do it very close to the shore so you don't have to wade in too far.

But it still involves going on the sand....

What??? Don't like surf?? Mate...... (downward inflection).

And also ...see reply above to wripro...don't like sand much either....and me a native Queenslander...:eek:

(Trips? Well...we seem to be reverting to landlubbing...but still hopeful of cruising on O again, which is why I have been reading this board..... off to India in Feb and then in mid-year to US to see the family, folowed by a self-driving tour round southern England and a little Med cruise - the last sadly not on O .We tried but the timing/itineraries did not work with the rest.)

And also ...see reply above to wripro...don't like sand much either....and me a native Queenslander...:eek:

(Trips? Well...we seem to be reverting to landlubbing...but still hopeful of cruising on O again, which is why I have been reading this board..... off to India in Feb and then in mid-year to US to see the family, folowed by a self-driving tour round southern England and a little Med cruise - the last sadly not on O .We tried but the timing/itineraries did not work with the rest.)

Oooh, India. How exciting. Was our recent cruise your first taste of India, I can't recall? And where are you going, and how? I love to hear about India. We did a month there under our own steam in 2010/11 and had a ball (mostly, except the vile flu I got: most people get upset tummies, I got the flu :confused:).

Oooh, India. How exciting. Was our recent cruise your first taste of India, I can't recall? And where are you going, and how? I love to hear about India. We did a month there under our own steam in 2010/11 and had a ball (mostly, except the vile flu I got: most people get upset tummies, I got the flu :confused:).

Warning ...going off-topic here...though I have somewhat taken a turn through surf and sand dislikes already..

Yes, it was our first taste of India on lovely Nautica and yes we are very very excited to finally go there - celebrating D turning 70 on Christmas Eve; booked this trip on spur of moment a few weeks ago. Where? - Northern India....staying in palace hotels and glamping...We are not being intrepid at all - and because it is a celebration we have pushed the boat out, rather.... (since this is a cruising forum I include a nautical reference.) Have arranged through Abercrombie and Kent, opted to have our own car and driver, thus avoiding tour buses, and shopping stops (which we have expressly forbidden - not that I don't like shopping but too much stuff already)....currently munching probiotics to avoid the tummy thing....though it's usually flu wot does me in too...

Archived