How to get to southhampton

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
West Midlands
6 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Hi all, I'm a cruise virgin, I have a Mediterranean cruise booked for aug sailing from Southampton, I live in the midlands, just wondering the best way to get there and where to park. There are 6 of us going so we would need to take two cars, or would it be cheaper getting a taxi??
Thanks
#2
Newcastle
541 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Have you checked that you dont get either free coach travel or free car parking at Southampton, sometimes weve had to pay for the coach other times its free, it might be worth asking your travel agent. The car park is right outside the terminal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jen
#3
Manchester,England
5,094 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Hi, we live in Manchester and always get the train to Southampton, there is a direct service and takes 4 hours for us.
If you shop at Tesco you can use your vouchers through redspottedhanky for cheaper rail travel . We start to price out fares 12 weeks before departure. Sometimes it is cheaper to travel the day before and stay overnight, premier inn do great rates.
The port is a short distance from the train station and costs about £5 in a taxi.
Hope some of this helps, have a great cruise and welcome to cruise critic
#4
Buckinghamshire, UK.
802 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
If you're driving... M40, A34, M3, M27, M271 and you're there. Approx 150 miles and two and a half hours max.
#5
Cardiff, Wales, UK
1,200 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We've sailed twice from southampton and have got the train both times, if you book in advance it can work out quite cheaply, the station is a very short taxi ride to the port, I think there is a bus too, the last time it was only a short cruise and we only had carry on bags so we walked it as it was a nice day.
#6
Kent, UK
29 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
If travelling by car I would travel down the day before because the motorways down south can be a nightmare. Last year my parents were travelling from Kent to Dorset, usually a 3 hour journey but it took them over 5 hours because of holiday traffic. Some of the hotels you can pay to stay for 1 night and park up to 15 nights. We have paid to park at the docks using abp parking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Azura - Iberia 22nd August 2015

Adventure of the Seas - Norway 18th August 2013
#7
Central Maryland
15,341 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Over on the Cunard forum Smiths for Airports has an excellent reputation and generally the lowest prices among car services. I used them when I came in to Southampton and out from Dover the next day and was very satisfied.

Roy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Index to active Crystal Roll Calls
Limited View Cabins
Currently enjoying:Zaandam Buenos Aires to San Diego
Future cruises:


MS Zaandam BA to San Diego>>Carnival Inspiration Catalina/Ensenada>>>Crystal Symphony LAX-NYC
8/19/17 Blount Grande Caribe New England Islands
10/1/17 Amsterdam Grand Asia Vancouver to Hong Kong>>>11/2 Prinsendam Rome-FTL
1/23/18 Crystal Serenity/Symphony World Cruise
7/18/17 Volendam/Westerdam Alaska >>> 8/10/18 Crystal Symphony Panama Canal
#9
Gloucester, England
327 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Annie63
Hi all, I'm a cruise virgin, I have a Mediterranean cruise booked for aug sailing from Southampton, I live in the midlands, just wondering the best way to get there and where to park. There are 6 of us going so we would need to take two cars, or would it be cheaper getting a taxi??
Thanks
We always travel by car and park at the port. It is a very smooth operation. The porters take the bags from the car and if you are with RCCL you then park in a secure area close to the ship that is locked for the duration. If parking is not included with your booking you can do it via the Southampton Port website.

We are sailing to the Med in August.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Adventure of the Seas 13 nights
Anthem of the Seas 12 nights
Independence of the Seas. 85 nights
Jewel of the Seas 12 nights
Arcadia 12 nights
Celebrity Eclipse 13 nights
]
#10
UK
682 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We always park at the port, so near you can normally see your car from the ship. Just put Parking at Southampton, Royal Caribbean Cruises into google and the correct parking people will come up with a list of cruises to click into, or just ask your Travel Agent to book for you.

So much easier than trains, coaches etc.
#11
3,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by welshrich
We've sailed twice from southampton and have got the train both times, if you book in advance it can work out quite cheaply, the station is a very short taxi ride to the port, I think there is a bus too, the last time it was only a short cruise and we only had carry on bags so we walked it as it was a nice day.
What do you do with luggage on the train? Do you check it and it goes in a baggage car? Or take it on the train with you? This would be from London to Southampton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska & Caribbean photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/page1/



#12
Cardiff, Wales, UK
1,200 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by sparky-elpaso
What do you do with luggage on the train? Do you check it and it goes in a baggage car? Or take it on the train with you? This would be from London to Southampton.

most of the 'inter city' trains have luggage storage racks either end of the carriage, usually safe to leave it but we do find a seat in view of it to be on the safe side.
#13
The North East of England
3,264 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Lazysusan
We always park at the port, so near you can normally see your car from the ship. Just put Parking at Southampton, Royal Caribbean Cruises into google and the correct parking people will come up with a list of cruises to click into, or just ask your Travel Agent to book for you.

So much easier than trains, coaches etc.
Your last comment depends on where you are traveling from, we Train every time and it is excellent and if booked in advance a lot cheaper.
#14
UK
1,290 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
The official port parking can be found here http://www.abparking.co.uk/. The car park is directly opposite the ship terminal. I was able to see my car in the car park from my balcony on the ship. I drove down in November from Yorkshire onto the A34 and it was a very easy straight forward drive towards Southampton.

You can find other cheaper off-site parking, then you can gauge the price difference with a taxi. If driving is cheaper I would just drive rather than messing about with trains or coaches.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Independence of the Seas - 27 August 2016
Explorer of the Seas - 9 August 2015
Allure of the Seas - 8 September 2013
Independence of the Seas - 11 November 2012
Monarch of the Seas - 12 September 2011
Jewel of the Seas - 7 August 2005
Costa Atlantica - 20 July 2003
Costa Victoria - 28 July 2002
Splendour of the Seas - 22 July 2001
#15
cardiff
192 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
we go down the day before, we stay in the ibis which is opposite the dock. we then park in the port car park. this is simple just drive into port they take your luggage then they show you where to park. we turned up early so we parked right by the entrance. its not cheap 117 for twelve nights, there are cheaper alternatives but i dont know if they are secure.
#16
An Orcadian in Scotland!
278 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We drive down from Scotland, stop overnight at Cannock just before the M6 tolland then drive down Saturday morning. We always use the port parking. it's so easy and right next to the terminal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





2012 Azura - Canaries
2011 Ventura - Western Med
2010 Ventura - Spain & Portugal
#17
3,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by welshrich
most of the 'inter city' trains have luggage storage racks either end of the carriage, usually safe to leave it but we do find a seat in view of it to be on the safe side.
Great. Thanks a lot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska & Caribbean photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/page1/