Back from AMA Paris-Normandy cruise

bocatraveler09

Just back from my first river cruise, AmaLegro, Paris-Normandy. We couldn't have been happier with the cruise line! The crew was awesome, food and wine good and plentiful, rooms were small but very well-designed. There were choices of excursions which, frequently, included bike tours and slow or active walking tours.

We were a couple, traveling on our own, and found it easy to make friends. The dining room setup encourages mixing. There seemed to be mostly Americans on board, with a smattering of Canadians and Aussies.

The itinerary worked for us since I was pining for another visit to Paris and my husband wanted to see the landing beaches. We did Paris on our own, staying at the delightful and perfectly-located Hotel Britannique. I think, however, that some of the other rivers may be more scenic for cruising. Plus, the trip to the beaches required long bus rides.

If we take another river cruise, I wouldn't even look at another line. AmaWaterways will be the one! And to drive home the point, not only did they provide a gift of a custom-designed scarf to every woman on board at the end of the trip, but a hand-written "thank you" postcard, signed by the captain, hotel manager and cruise director just arrived in my mailbox!

There were so many positives about AMA that I left out a few:

>Free wifi all over the boat and a computer as part of each room's entertainment system.

>Coffee, tea, beverages and snacks all day long in the lounge.

>Massages are available (for a fee).

>You can bring your own alcoholic beverages onboard. We did cocktails in our cabin and, with the free-flowing wine at meals, had absolutely NO charges, other than gratuities, on our bill at checkout. Truly "all-inclusive."

>Something to do every night if you had the energy. And piano music in the lounge every afternoon.

>A treat ready each time we returned from an excursion.

I guess you could say I was completely satisfied :D.

There were so many positives about AMA that I left out a few:

>Free wifi all over the boat and a computer as part of each room's entertainment system.

>Coffee, tea, beverages and snacks all day long in the lounge.

>Massages are available (for a fee).

>You can bring your own alcoholic beverages onboard. We did cocktails in our cabin and, with the free-flowing wine at meals, had absolutely NO charges, other than gratuities, on our bill at checkout. Truly "all-inclusive."

>Something to do every night if you had the energy. And piano music in the lounge every afternoon.

>A treat ready each time we returned from an excursion.

Except for the in-room computer, we had the same amenities on Uniworld. But your point remains valid - amenities like this really enhance the cruising experience. Glad you had such a great time on AMA!

There were so many positives about AMA...

Welcome to the AMA fan club:).

We discovered AMA three years ago when we were just not sure that river cruising was for us, after trying several cruises on another line.

For what we enjoy, they really deliver with wonderful attention to detail and the best staffs and crews we have experienced to date.

We just received word of high water on our Amalegro cruise leaving on Friday.

We are in Paris pre cruise. Did you have any problems with river levels?

Glad you had a great time.

Deena

We are leaving Monday for France. We are doing Avalon to Normandy. I am glad you had a great trip. I will have check out your boat the next time. How was the weather? Getting ready to start getting my clothes together today!

We are leaving Monday for France. We are doing Avalon to Normandy. How was the weather? Getting ready to start getting my clothes together today!

Weather was less than great. Paris was okay but as we headed north, is was overcast, windy, chilly with some showers. We had leather jackets and wore layers. I was thankful for scarves. But the week before it had been lovely! Still had a blast but did bring home French colds.

Archived