Fav time of year to cruise?

TerriNM

We were supposed to be on today's sailing of the Conquest but had to postpone (sniff sniff) and are now thinking about rebooking. What is your fav time to cruise (other than ALL the time lol) and why? What's your opinion on Christmas cruises. It will be myself, hubby, dd21, and ds16.

Thanks!

We've been on one Xmas cruise with my in-laws and wouldn't do another. It costs more and there just isn't that much difference in what you get for the money except it is a lot more crowded. When you go depends a lot on where you are going. If you want to do a Caribbean cruise you can get some good deals in late Sept, Oct and first 3 weeks (before Thanksgiving) of Nov. For the Panama Canal crossings the ships do the full transits either in the fall or the spring. Tansatlantic cruises are also in the fall or spring.

Have a GREAT next cruise.

Thanks for all the input! Unfortuntely we have kids in school so have to go when they are out, bummer! We are leaning towards a 12/26 date at this point, I'm not real thrilled about going that week because it will mean travelling on Christmas day, but if they out-vote me what am I gonna do........:)

We like Christmas cruises. We don't have any local family, and our Christmas present to our family is a cruise. We meet up with my mom/dad and the 5 of us get to spend Christmas together (and enjoy the cruise). Yes, there are more kids (we have a 14 yo DD) and it costs more $, but to us, that's okay. Best yet, we don't spend money on useless gifts for each other and everyone gets something they love and remember.

Marlissa

In the winter, ski trips are our favorite vacations, and I would never give one of them up for a cruise.

So we prefer summer or fall crusies. Our next one is two weeks in the Med Oct 10.

I think the absolute best time to cruise is Thanksgiving week. If you work in private industry you actually only use three days vacation and if you take off the Friday pre-cruise and the Monday post-cruise it still 5 days of vacation time use totalling 11 days off work. Besides that, I believe you can never really go wrong with the weather in late October through early December.

THIS IS A NON THINKER FOR ME---

MAY OR SEPT. THE KIDS ARE STILL IN SCHOOL ( MOSTLY ) AND THE CABINS ARE CHEAPER. IT IS ALSO EASIER TO GET OFF WORK FOR 2 WEEKS BECAUSE LESS WORKERS TAKE THESE MONTHS OFF.

being in alaska any time of the year would be good for me. i just have a few preferences i listed to make my cruise there a better one. everyone has a set time of year they can get away and go. and the different seasons are great for some and not so good for others. it is a good thing the ships go there for so many months huh :) to accomidate us. :)

Well, for us, there are two times of the year that we prefer. The first is prior to the holidays when the rates are on the cusp of low season pricing to going into that high season pricing. The ships are decorated and absolutely beautiful. The other time is in February or March. Being in New England, it's a welcome break from the cold, even tho I snow ski, it's still nice to toss on a bathing suit and sail!:p

My favorite time for cruising the Caribbean is the first or second week of December. Prices are low and the weather is warm but not hot.
I totally agree with you! The ship is decorated for Christmas, there are few kids, the weather is great, and the prices are fantastic! :D

Archived