Pennsylvania Hotel, NYC

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:03 PM.
Michigan
287 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze Med Tour 2012
RCI NOS Med Cruise Sep 2010
NCL Pearl Alaska Aug 2010
NCL Pearl Alaska May 25 2008
Carnival Splendor 12 Day Baltics Aug 18 2008
Carnival Victory Sep 2007 (Canada/New England)
NCL Pearl to Alaska Aug 5 2007
Carnival Spirit Alaska Aug 2005
Disney Magic 2002

bb2842@att.net
17,875 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
I've never stayed there, but I've been inside (the public spaces) and I would pass......seems all it has going for it is location............
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x4,

Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4,
CCL Pride x3, CCL Miracle x1
, CCL Splendor x1, Norwegian Getaway x1, Quantum x 2, Anthem x2, Oosterdam x1

illegitmi non carborundum kmt
Arizona/Missouri
14,848 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????
Maryland
9,398 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I've only walked by this hotel, never stepped inside.

After seeing the photos on Trip Advisor, I'm glad I stayed on the sidewalk. Horrid!

I would suggest to your group that you cancel and rebook. It seems the majority of Manhattan hotels allow you to cancel up to 24 hours before check in.

If the group didn't want to change hotels, I'd surely back out of the group and go my separate way. Good luck.
Upstate NY
8,729 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by greatam
The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.
I had my phone card number lifted by one of the "spotters" in the lobby, back before I had a cell phone. Ironically, I went there to make a call because I was worried about the "spotters" in Penn Station! I do understand that a number of rooms have been renovated, though I'm not sure whether it's a majority. My office has hosted meetings in some of the meeting rooms without a problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy

Carnival Victory, 6/28/04; Carnival Conquest, 7/3/05; Carnival Legend, 6/29/06; Carnival Victory, 8/31/06; Carnival Liberty, 2/17/07; Carnival Victory, 8/11/07; Carnival Valor, 2/17/08; Carnival Victory, 8/18/08; Carnival Glory, 2/14/09; Carnival Miracle, 7/19/09; Carnival Conquest, 2/14/10; Carnival Pride, 7/4/10; Carnival Glory, 9/2/10; Carnival Glory, 7/2/11; Carnival Fantasy, 8/13/11; Carnival Pride, 7/1/12; Carnival Glory, 8/6/12; Carnival Legend, 7/3/13; Carnival Miracle, 7/15/14; Carnival Glory, 8/2/14; Carnival Breeze, 7/4/15; Carnival Vista, 7/19/16; Carnival Pride, 7/2/17.

San Antonio, Texas
268 Posts
Joined May 2004
Yes it is a dump

However, you get what you pay for, and it usually is the best deal in town. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down on. It served its purpose. There is a very good Irish bar out the side door by the "gift shop", try it out! Excellent food!
Maryland
9,398 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by nauticaz24
Yes it is a dump. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down......

Ooooh, but that's exactly it for me! I would never want to lay my head down.
Philadelphia
694 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I stayed there once and was also very concerned about the reviews. They messed up my reservation (I was there for a convention and they had my reservation under a different name. Once they got it straightened out it was fine). The room was a little small but clean, safe, and very convenient. I would do it again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 2007 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
August 2008 Caribbean Princess Canada/New
England
August 2009 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Mediteranean Norweigan Epic
October 2011 Canada New England Norwegian Jewel
January 2013 Holland America Westerdam Southern Caribbean
Lynn Haven, Fl
2,736 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by bb2842
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks
Well, it is historic. This is where Glenn Miller played before WW II in New York; you've heard of his great swing number Pennsylvania 6-5000? That was the hotel's phone number, and it still is according to their web site.

Doc
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake!
412 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by greatam
A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????
Worse than HoJo's...OUCH!!! I'd find somewhere else to stay and try to get credit from TA (I know it's a hard thing).

Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!
Shell
Frankfurt, Germany
988 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by DocF
Well, it is historic.
Historic, and soon to be history. The current owner (Vornado Realty Trust) plans to demolish it and build an office tower as part of the redevelopment of the Penn Station/Madison Square Garden complex.
Fort Lee NJ -15 minutes from the NYC Port
4,329 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
My daughter had friends who were there a few weeks ago..we live 15 minutes out of mid-town manhattan, I went and picked them up and had them stay at our house. You really don't want to stay there. Sorry...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PLATINUM PLUS NCL
Some of our more memorable cruises too many to list!
NCL GEM 11/6/16 Gem Garden Villa out of San Juan
NCL Star 2/28/16 western Caribbean in an OS
NCL Gem 2/27/15 10 days in the Garden Villa
NCL Breakaway 1019/2014 Haven Heaven
NCL GEM 4/4/14 Garden Villa
NCL Breakaway 3/2/14 Haven Aft
NCL GEM 1/11/14 Haven DOS 9 day
NCL GEM 11/14/13 Haven 9 day
NCL GEM 5/18/13 Haven Heaven
NCL GEM 3/04/13 Haven again
NCL Gem 1/09/13 still loving the Haven
NCL Gem 6/2/12 love our Haven Suite
NCL GEM 1/12 Haven for Life
NCL Jewel 3/6/11 still love the courtyard
NCL Jewel 1/2/11 best cruise ever Courtyard Villa!
NCL Gem 1/2/10 Courtyard Villa Life
Carnival Miracle GS 5/10
HAL Westerdam SA 2/10
HAL Eurodam SA 11/08
Carnival Liberty GS 1/08
Disney Magic Family Suite 1/07
Carnival Miracle GS 11/05
Disney Magic Family Suite 1/05
RCCL NOS Suite 1/06
RCCL VOS Suite 1/04
Carnival Fantasy Os 12/03
Disney Magic 12/01