Zuiderdam - 6/18 - 6/25

salboz

After reading the various reviews before going, I was a bit aprehensive expecially since we were bringing a first-time cruiser. Just to put a little perspective on this review, it was our 17th cruise - 2nd on HAL.

Condidtion of ship - Overall it was fine. Did notice the uneven floors in some of the corridors.

Food - Tried too hard. Most had too many extra and unwanted ingredients. It was hard to get just a plain salad.

Lido buffet was actually better that the dining room. Burt Reynolds and Johnny Walker were amazing in their name recalling ability. Jim Dandy has a really great voice and is a very skilled dancer. The dance he did in the crew show was one we had seen in Bali so we had something to judge by.

Service - About as bad as I have ever seen. It wasn't terrible by any means, but below what I have come to expect. Examples : Dining- Forgot my salad, refused to get me a dressing that they had most nights, but wasn't on the menu, told me I had to pay for lemonade (not true - it is free with meals just like iced tea). Rarely got water refills without asking. Waiter not at all friendly, and for the first time on a cruise, I felt rushed during the meal(had earliest seating as usual due to my husband's diabetes). Cabin - Cabin steward didn't show us anything, such as the remote not using the power button to turn TV on, only used for turning it off while an arrow button turns it on. Drawers were locked and no key. Couldn't find him until late the next day.

Entertainment - most on board activities were at the same time so we had to choose one, and then have nothing to do the rest of the time. The crew shows had fantastic sets and costumes, but the other shows were short and very average.

The only advantage on this ship was being able to use your cabin until you left the ship if you chose. We didn't stay in it but left our things there so we didn't have to tote them around. That let the steward make up the room and was a convenience to us.

Would I sail this ship again? No.

Sorry for your disappointment. Our two cruises on the Zuiderdam have been quite different. Service was very good by room steward and dining room waiter. I do feel the dining room waiters are overworked but they always tried to please. We are traveling the Zui again in October with my mom and expect the same type of service we have received in the past. I noticed you sailed with Holland twice. Was your other experience the same poor service?

Not at all Sandy. That is why I booked them for this trip. Our trip on the Ryndam was fantastic. Have never complained about any cruise b efore so am not being picky. Guess I just got some newbies or something.

Archived