Transportation/Parking for Disabled to New York Pier

My husband is disabled (he uses a motorized wheelchair), and we are taking a 4-day Carnival Cruise to Canada in a few weeks departing from NYC. Since we are not flying, there is no ground transportation available to us. My husband checked with taxis and vans to see the cost from Long Island to the NYC pier, and it was very high (almost $500 both ways). I consulted our travel agent, and she said we could park at the pier for a cost of $40 a day if we drove in (that would be $200). Do any of you who are handicapped or travel with a handicapped person know of a cheaper way to the NYC pier? We don't have any friends or relatives who could drive us because they don't have cars big enough to accommodate the 3 of us, the wheelchair, and our luggage and if we rented a van, it would also be costly. Any advice is appreciated.

I have had this address for many years and I do not know if it is still good. Josephine has help me and others. Josephine Herrschaft, email: jherrschaft@gttny.com. She represents both the following companies: http://www.goldentouchtransportation.com and http://www.nycairporter.com

If her email address is no longer any good, suggest you use the contact form for Golden Touch Transportation.

I am not that familiar with New York. Can you take the train to Penn Station or Grand Central Station and take a taxi from there. In my research, there are suppose to be wheelchair accessible taxis available.

We are going to scoot to Grand Central Station from the terminal, however we both will be on scooters, thus no one has to walk. Also we have a system to attach our luggage to the scooters.

Betty

Parking is per night, not day. Thus 4 night cruise. Entrance to ramp on 55th and 12th Avenue. Up there they ( ticket collectors, sniffing bomb dog handler) will direct you to correct pier lot. Carnival is maybe 46th Street.

Freight elevator down is no problem. Enjoy your cruise on the Splendor, a fun ship. Vicki

• 1 month later...
I have the more restrictive hangtag as well I also have a SVI and have not had trouble parking in a No Parking spot.

Yeah but you didn't say that. You said "handicapped placard". People not from NYC won't know there is a special placard for on-street parking and from your post might assume the state-issued mirror hang lets you park in a "No Parking" zone.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah but you didn't say that. You said "handicapped placard". People not from NYC won't know there is a special placard for on-street parking and from your post might assume the state-issued mirror hang lets you park in a "No Parking" zone.

Tony is correct. I'm from NJ and my handicapped plates are not valid in NYC. I know this because my van was towed and I was told by a judge that if I didn't have a NYC issued permit, I was not considered handicapped. My wheelchair did not seem to make a difference to him.

What we do is have a friend drive us to the airport or cruise port in our van. They take the van home with them and then come get us when we return. They are good friends. :-) You could also drive over to the New Jersey side and park at the ferry terminal. The ferry will take you almost right to the pier for the cruise ships.

• 1 month later...

The way I understand it is that you have to live or work in NYC to get a NYC HP Permit to park in HP Spaces on the Streets of NYC. Your State Permit (including NYS Placards/Permits) will work in HP Spaces in private lots though. This was true a few years ago, I assume it's still true.