Roll on/off tender facilities.

terrierjohn

The only Holland American claims that they have one tender with roll-on capabilities for each ship in its fleet with the exception of the Prinsendam. However with that said many who cruise on Holland America report that there was no such tender available .

Princess Cruises uses its life boats as tenders which do not have roll-on capabilities. Here's the link to Princess's Tendering Policy regarding wheelchair and mobility scooters. http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

Some ports provide their own tenders that do have roll-on capabilities in which the cruise lines do not have to use its life boats as tenders. For example in Grand Cayman the Port Authority provides such tenders.

No, Princess will NOT allow you onto a tender unless you can walk on under your own power.

For HAL, you have to find out ahead of time through their Disabled Service department if they will have a tender lift and accessible tender on the specific ship, then go to the pursers desk upon embarkation and arrange for use for each port. In our experience, generally it was available ONLY after all other passengers were boarded onto regular tenders, and then only if the seas are very calm. There is also a width limit (18" manual wheelchair) for their tender lift. Sometimes we were able to use it to get ashore, and other times not.

Edited by Splinter

My DH uses a Tzora folding scooter. We are booked on the the Royal Princess for a British Isles cruise. He can walk onto the tender with a little help. I was planning on folding the scooter and having the ship personnel lift it on to the tender. What do you think?

Yoletta

Edited by yliebert
spelling

My DH uses a Tzora folding scooter. We are booked on the the Royal Princess for a British Isles cruise. He can walk onto the tender with a little help. I was planning on folding the scooter and having the ship personnel lift it on to the tender. What do you think?

Yoletta

It's questionable. Is he able to descend and ascend stairs ? Additionally it states on Princess' website under the Tender Port Policy that the "Princess staff will make every effort to assist but are not allowed to individually physically lift more than 50 pounds "(22 kg). Believe the Tzora Folding Easy Travel Scooter is 64 lbs (29 kg). No one on CC can tell you for certain.

You need to plan on the assumption that it won't be allowed until you actually show up at the tender boarding area. On- Board Guest Services will most likely not be able to give you a definite answer either.

If it were me I would not pre-purchase any excursions for tender days as Princess will not refund it if not allow to board the Tender. It's stated on Princess' website under "Tender Port Policy "If passengers are unable to tender or disembark because of circumstances outlined above there will be no refund or credit for missed ports."

Important to note : The decision to allow any passenger to board a tender or disembark the vessel will be made by the Captain on the basis of the safety and welfare of all involved and is final.

Edited by xxoocruiser

No, Princess will NOT allow you onto a tender unless you can walk on under your own power.

This is not 100% true. My one visit to Princess Cays, they rolled on two small wheelchairs with severely HC children, and tied them down. EM

It's questionable. Is he able to descend and ascend stairs ? Additionally it states on Princess' website under the Tender Port Policy that the "Princess staff will make every effort to assist but are not allowed to individually physically lift more than 50 pounds "(22 kg). Believe the Tzora Folding Easy Travel Scooter is 64 lbs (29 kg). No one on CC can tell you for certain.

You need to plan on the assumption that it won't be allowed until you actually show up at the tender boarding area. On- Board Guest Services will most likely not be able to give you a definite answer either.

If it were me I would not pre-purchase any excursions for tender days as Princess will not refund it if not allow to board the Tender. It's stated on Princess' website under "Tender Port Policy "If passengers are unable to tender or disembark because of circumstances outlined above there will be no refund or credit for missed ports."

Important to note : The decision to allow any passenger to board a tender or disembark the vessel will be made by the Captain on the basis of the safety and welfare of all involved and is final.

I think you are correct about not prepaying shore excursions but I am hopeful It's about 3 steps down into the tender and I think he'll be alright if someone holds one of his arms and he grabs a post with the other. Also, I can quickly break down the scooter into 2 parts, about 27# each, and hand them down into the tender. It's still a PIA, but what can you do other than grin and bear it? :D See, I'm grinning!

Yoletta

I think you are correct about not prepaying shore excursions but I am hopeful It's about 3 steps down into the tender and I think he'll be alright if someone holds one of his arms and he grabs a post with the other. Also, I can quickly break down the scooter into 2 parts, about 27# each, and hand them down into the tender. It's still a PIA, but what can you do other than grin and bear it? :D See, I'm grinning!

Yoletta

"I think he'll be alright if someone holds one of his arms and he grabs a post with the other." Most likely you are not going to find a post when getting into the Royals large tenders.

I spent 31 days on the Royal. Its not a great ship for handicapped people. Hopefully you booked a room either forward or aft and not mid ship.. There are no stairs mid ship from deck 8 up so the very small elevators are packed full and there are a lot of passengers that wont give you room to get onto the elevator. It was the rudest ship as far as passengers go, that I have ever been on. The staff was outstanding, which was great. We were in a handicapped room I think 302. Right across from the forward elevators. Easy to go down and get coffee in the am... We like the International Cafe for coffee as the Royal's room service coffee is subpar.

The Princess tenders for that ship are quite large and its more than 2 steps down and many times you may have to go up top if there is no room down below. My Mother is handicapped but can walk slowly. I take with me a collapsible Wheel chair that is only 16 Lbs. It has no battery and that allows us to do more than the scooter... We have put her on a tender and it was a bit of work, she opted not to try the next port. It will also depend on the roughness of the waves that day as to weather or not you can safely get them on the ship.

Do you have to have an electric scooter or can you push a wheel chair? The tender group will pick the wheel chair up for you if its light weight.

From my experience I would suggest that you plan on not being able to do a tender. :( that way if for some reason they can assist you it will be a great surprise. I don't know which port of calls you are referring to and that will make a difference as well.

Wish you well on the Royal... Its a very long Ship...If your forward go to the dining room and have them change your dining room right away... cause most likely they will put you all the way to the back and its over 1000' long.

Have fun on the Royal..

Susan

Susan,

Thanks for the information. We are doing a British Isles cruise and have 3 tender ports, Guernsey, Dublin and Edinburgh. DH uses a tzora lexis light scooter. It would be almost impossible for me to push him in a chair as I have one bad knee and a back that acts up. We will be in 433 on Deck 12, I think its midship, an accessible cabin near the elevator.:D I'm still grinning, it's all good.

Yoletta