Free Disabled Parking at Tampa Port Authority

firerunner

I have seen this discussed before so I went right to the horses mouth for an answer.

Parking is FREE at the Tampa Port Authority for Disabled vehicles ONLY if it has a disabled permit AND a modified vehicle (lift/ramp)

Ms. Yednak,

Per state statue, shown below, vehicles with lifts/ramps AND a permit, are entitled to free parking this does not include valet parking as it considered a service. Feel free to print this email and present to the cashier when attempting to park your vehicle. Should you have further comments, questions or concerns please contact me directly.

Enjoy your cruise!

Title XXIII

MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316

STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.1964 Exemption of vehicles transporting certain persons who have disabilities from payment of parking fees and penalties.-- (1) A state agency, county, municipality, or any agency thereof, may not exact any fee for parking on the public streets or highways or in any metered parking space from the driver of a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit or a license plate issued under s. 316.1958 or a license plate issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, or s. 320.0845 if the vehicle is transporting the person who has a disability and to whom the disabled parking permit or license plate was issued. (2) The driver of a vehicle that is parked as provided in subsection (1) may not be penalized for parking, except in clearly defined bus loading zones, fire zones, or access aisles adjacent to the parking spaces for persons who have disabilities, or in areas posted as "No Parking" zones or as emergency vehicle zones, or for parking in excess of the posted time limits. (3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when a state, county, or municipal parking facility or lot is being used in connection with an event at a convention center, cruise-port terminal, sports stadium, sports arena, coliseum, or auditorium, the parking facility may charge a person whose vehicle displays such a parking permit a parking fee in the same manner and amount as it charges other persons. (4) A parking facility that restricts the number of consecutive days that a vehicle may be parked may impose that same restriction on a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit issued to a person who has a disability. (5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when an on-street parking meter restricts the duration of time that a vehicle may be parked, a vehicle properly displaying a disabled parking permit is allowed a maximum of 4 hours at no charge; however, local governments may extend such time by local ordinance. (6) A parking facility that leases a parking space for a duration that exceeds 1 week is not required to reduce the fee for a lessee who is disabled. (7) An airport that owns, operates, or leases parking facilities, or any other parking facilities that are used for the purpose of air travel, may charge for parking vehicles that display a disabled parking permit or license tag issued under s. 316.1958, s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, s. 320.0845 , or s. 320.0848. However, the governing body of each publicly owned or publicly operated airport must grant free parking to any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, or for utilization by a person who has a disability or whose vehicle is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (8) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a county, municipality, or any agency thereof may charge for parking in a facility or lot that provides timed parking spaces any vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit, except that any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from any parking fees.

(deleted the senders name and email address and phone number wasn't sure if that was allowed. ) and I cross posted this on the HC board

woo hoo saves me 90 dollars!!! Now I am not so grumpy about not being able to find a shuttle to take me to the port!! (NONE of the shuttles have a lift for my chair)

• 10 months later...

I'm reading your post and I was wondering what kind of modified vehicle you have? I have a truck with the chair mount on the hitch and so I'm not sure if they would consider that a modified vehicle or not since is it a not a permanent modification.

Thanks for any help, I'm looking at their website and am wondering now if they don't even had any attendants to show that Email to...

Thanks,

Alan

A modified vehicle would include hand controls, a scooter or wheelchair lift or a ramp that allows a scooter or wheelchair to get into the vehicle. It also includes those scooter storing ramps that you see in the rear of vehicles.

To me the issue is really about why those "for hire" transporters do not have accessible vehicles in their fleet? Many if not all states now, 20 tears after passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act require companies that provide transportation to their customers as part or all of their service also have accessible vehicles OR make accomodations for disabled customers to be transported at a fare no greayer than what the charge their nondisabled clients. If they have the minimum number of accessible vehicles required of them AND those vehicles are already booked by disabled individuals then they may turn down additional requests.

Some of those transportation providers are ducking their obligation.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Archived