Accessible transportation in Ft. Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale does have Accessible Taxi's so suggest you go on line and contact a few taxi companies.

Important : Please be advised that if the hotel you've book provides a Shuttle Service that does not have an accessible lift, than the Hotel is required by ADA Law to arrange for accessible transportation.

• If the Shuttle Service is provided free to their guests than the Hotel has to pay for the complete cost of the accessible transportation.
  • If the Hotel charges their guests a fee for the Shuttle Service than the Hotel can only charge you the same $ for the accessible transportation.

My husband uses a scooter and we just were in Fort Lauderdale last August. Our hotel had a van for transfer (free) from the airport to the hotel. No problem, they were able to put his scooter in the back with the luggage and he was able to STEP on the van.

For the transfer from the hotel to the pier, they provided a transfer company that only charged $10 p.p. and that company had a van where they put his scooter and they also towed a trailer where they put the luggage for the rest of the people.

It was one of the easiest transfers we've come across.

My husband uses a scooter and we just were in Fort Lauderdale last August. Our hotel had a van for transfer (free) from the airport to the hotel. No problem, they were able to put his scooter in the back with the luggage and he was able to STEP on the van.

For the transfer from the hotel to the pier, they provided a transfer company that only charged $10 p.p. and that company had a van where they put his scooter and they also towed a trailer where they put the luggage for the rest of the people.

It was one of the easiest transfers we've come across.

Can you give me the name of the hotel where you stayed, please ?? Thanks :)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th St. Causeway. It was very clean and had a free breakfast. They had an accessible room for us with roll in shower.

There is a Publix within walking distance and many places to eat nearby.

Just go out the front door and make a right turn.

• 4 months later...
Fort Lauderdale does have Accessible Taxi's so suggest you go on line and contact a few taxi companies.

Important : Please be advised that if the hotel you've book provides a Shuttle Service that does not have an accessible lift, than the Hotel is required by ADA Law to arrange for accessible transportation.

• If the Shuttle Service is provided free to their guests than the Hotel has to pay for the complete cost of the accessible transportation.
  • If the Hotel charges their guests a fee for the Shuttle Service than the Hotel can only charge you the same $ for the accessible transportation.

I thought this arrangement was already in place, from when I made our hotel reservation months ago. However, when my daughter called to confirm it today, she was told that the hotel is not responsible for paying for a wheelchair shuttle, even though they advertise free shuttle service from the airport. Could you please tell me where you found this ADA information? We are leaving in 2 days to fly to FLL, so I would appreciate getting it ASAP.

I thought this arrangement was already in place, from when I made our hotel reservation months ago. However, when my daughter called to confirm it today, she was told that the hotel is not responsible for paying for a wheelchair shuttle, even though they advertise free shuttle service from the airport. Could you please tell me where you found this ADA information? We are leaving in 2 days to fly to FLL, so I would appreciate getting it ASAP.

Did your Daughter speak directly to the Manager ? If not than she needs to call back and request to speak directly to the Manager. Sorry I do not have the specific clause marked therefore not going to spend hours reading through the Americans with Disabilities act to find it.

Rather you need to know it exists and your daughter should at first speak very nice while being assertive/authoritative as she attempts to educate the manager when speaking to him/her. If being nice doesn't work that she might have to than point out that she can and will file a complaint with U.S. Federal Department of Justice . Just saying that usually gets the Hotel to do the right thing. If not that she needs to stress that filing a complaint with the DOJ would result in a substantial fine not to mention legal costs for the hotel . In addition she should stress that all this would not fare well for the Hotel Manager with Corporate Management if the matter has to be escalated to this point rather than if the Manager just did the right thing and arranged for accessible transportation. If the Hotel is a know name brand than the Manager should be well aware of this. The reservation agents and front desk agents are not.

Personally I've never had to take it to point of threatening to file a complaint with the DOJ. Asking to speak to the manager and nicely explain the situation usually resolves the matter.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I am here to report back. I found a page on the ada.gov website that addresses this particular situation. The link is http://www.ada.gov/reachingout/lesson71.htm

With this in front of me, I called the hotel, eventually being transferred to one of the managers. He gave me a song and dance about their shuttle with the wheelchair lift being in the shop for repairs. However, he said that the hotel will cover the cost of a wheelchair taxi from the airport - providing the driver doesn't pull a fast one and try to travel on a toll road to get to the hotel. He said the fare should be $20-$22 (not counting a tip to the driver), and the hotel will cover that. If he (the manager) is there, he will use his credit card to pay. Otherwise, we will pay and get a receipt, and the amount will be deducted from our bill.

For anyone else in this situation, the above poster (xxoocruiser) gave very good advice. I was polite, but insistent, and I got what I wanted.

Edited by Grandma Petania