Do we have to get off ship in port of another country?

Shoppy

We are doing a back to back Alaska cruise on the NCL Sun this June. We are hesitating even wanting to do anything in Vancouver when we port there. Since it's another country do we have to actually get off the ship and go through Canadian customs and then U.S customs to get back on the boat again? Or can we just hang on the ship and not bother with any of it?

Also, how long does the process of getting everyone off the ship when in port? Especially wondering at the end of the cruise. Trying to figure out 1. When I should rent a car in one of the ports we will be at. 2. Trying to figure out how long it will take us to get our luggage and off the ship, so I can tell my son when to pick us up. It's a two hour drive, so I hate to tell him too early.

We are doing a back to back Alaska cruise on the NCL Sun this June. We are hesitating even wanting to do anything in Vancouver when we port there. Since it's another country do we have to actually get off the ship and go through Canadian customs and then U.S customs to get back on the boat again? Or can we just hang on the ship and not bother with any of it?

Also, how long does the process of getting everyone off the ship when in port? Especially wondering at the end of the cruise. Trying to figure out 1. When I should rent a car in one of the ports we will be at. 2. Trying to figure out how long it will take us to get our luggage and off the ship, so I can tell my son when to pick us up. It's a two hour drive, so I hate to tell him too early.

You will have to disembark, and do what you don't want to do..

they will take your first leg room card from you, and give you another room keycard, even though you will leave your stuff in your room.

Re Getting off...do you mean at every port, or just the last one..?

Rent a car online for port visit, or there will be none left when you get to rental office.

Ketchikan is tiny for driving around,its really just one road up and down..and around.

Skagway is good, but you will need to get to the rental office early as poss...there is.always a queue.

Getting off..depends if you do self debark..this way you take your luggage off and get off early, but you must be able to carry it all off yourself.

Otherwise it could be as late as 9.30 or 10

Ps..why dont you want to see Vancouver?.. Its an awesome city.

So your cruise starts in Whittier?

That means that Vancouver is your Intransit day. No -- you do not have to get off the ship in Vancouver. But -- if you have never been there, you are a missing a beautiful port.

As for renting a car in the various other ports, if you wait too long, you may not get one.

Your ship is scheduled to get back into Whittier at 8 AM. It will probably get there earlier. But you still have to wait for the ship to be cleared. Tell your son to be there by 9 AM.

So your cruise starts in Whittier?

That means that Vancouver is your Intransit day. No -- you do not have to get off the ship in Vancouver. But -- if you have never been there, you are a missing a beautiful port.

As for renting a car in the various other ports, if you wait too long, you may not get one.

Your ship is scheduled to get back into Whittier at 8 AM. It will probably get there earlier. But you still have to wait for the ship to be cleared. Tell your son to be there by 9 AM.

Vancouver is the start of the second leg..so yes it would be a Customs port

I have done many back to back cruises.

I don't believe you will have to get off in Vancouver if you do not want to.

Yes, on back to backs in USA ports you do have to get off to go through USA customs/immigration. On back to back cruises in non USA ports you don't have to.

I don't believe you would have to in Vancouver but best to check with the cruise line.

Keith

Thanks everyone for the answers. I'll tell my son to pick me up a little later. I think we will just take off our luggage our self. That way he won't have to leave so early either.

I ended up calling ncl this morning. I've tried before but never could get through. Had a few questions about a 14 day cruise with cash/debit cards. She doesn't think we will have to get off the ship in Vancouver, but she said it really depends on what customs wants on the first leg of the ship. So she said I would have to ask them when we get on. IF we have to get off we might just do something there...if there is anything walking distance. Not even sure on that, I haven't found out yet. It's a port though that we are not doing any excursions or renting a car, so if it's raining, etc., then we will want to stay on the ship.

We want to get a car rental in Juneau. Just wondering how long the process is to get off the ship. Don't want anything happening to our rental if we don't show up on time. Trying to figure out our timing on how long we will have the car for too. So much to see, so little time. :)

You will not have to leave the ship in Vancouver.

As to your rental car, these agencies are VERY familiar with cruise routines. They know it takes time for a ship to empty and unless you are ridiculously late, they will not have a problem with you and your car. Go promptly when it is announced the ship is cleared and guests can disembark but don't get stressed as all the tour people and rental car people do this for a living.... they know the 'drill'. :)

Agree with those that say to get off in Vancouver. Beautiful city. Go to the west coast departure board and check out some of the threads on Vancouver. Stanley Park is pretty close and is beautiful. If nothing else, get off, walk around the area, grab a bite of lunch and get back on.

IF we have to get off we might just do something there...if there is anything walking distance. Not even sure on that, I haven't found out yet. It's a port though that we are not doing any excursions or renting a car, so if it's raining, etc., then we will want to stay on the ship.

Downtown Vancouver is quite compact and very walkable.

Gastown is very close to the port. Come out of the cruiseship terminal, turn left on Cordova Street and walk 3-4 blocks and you're at the start of Gastown. Lots of neat shops, restaurants and pubs.

http://www.seegastown.com/

Or, come out of the cruiseship terminal, turn left and walk along the Coal Harbour seawall to Stanley Park.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_British_Columbia/Vancouver-903183/Things_To_Do-Vancouver-Coal_Harbour-BR-1.html

The HOHO bus has a stop right in from of Canada Place (cruiseship terminal). I believe the one-day pass is $40 pp.

http://bigbus.ca/home/

I'm a little biased, but Vancouver is a beautiful city and I do hope you make it off the ship to do a little exploring.

If I recall correctly, disembarkation in Whittier starts early in the morning so passengers can connect with Alaska rail transportation. Our bus connection was at 9:30 and the ship seemed pretty empty when we exited. With the one way tunnel, transportation has to stay on schedule.

If you don't want your son to leave really early, why not tell him to be there around 9:30 or so. You don't have to fuss with self-disembarkation (and that will allow those with early arrangements a chance to get off the ship as needed). If he gets there before you get off the ship, there's undoubtedly a place for those drivers (including shuttle drivers) to wait. You can give him a call on your cell from the ship when it looks like you're going to get off, and then he'll know to come into the pick up area.

Archived