Currently on Avalon Artistry II Basel to Amsterdam

peterdkiwi

This is our first river cruise and after 5 days what else can we say but Avalon is extremely good, they thing of everything, and the whole cruise to date has been faultless. If you are looking for a very good operator you don't need to look any further.

Ages range from mid 40's to some in 70's but most in mid 50's to 60's. it has been hot with temperatures 28 to 31c. Dress code has been very relaxed, no one in jackets or ties, some in smart jeans for dinner, at least 3 or 4 in long shorts. A lot of polo shirts also. Women mainly smart causal.

Hope this help.

We will be on the Artistry this time next year. I've been waiting to hear some reviews of the ship.

If you can pass along any tips/suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative! It seems that Avalon doesn't get many posters, so you are a breath of fresh air for me!!

This is our first river cruise and after 5 days what else can we say but Avalon is extremely good, they thing of everything, and the whole cruise to date has been faultless. If you are looking for a very good operator you don't need to look any further.

Ages range from mid 40's to some in 70's but most in mid 50's to 60's. it has been hot with temperatures 28 to 31c. Dress code has been very relaxed, no one in jackets or ties, some in smart jeans for dinner, at least 3 or 4 in long shorts. A lot of polo shirts also. Women mainly smart causal.

Hope this help.

Good to hear everything is going well, we were very pleased with our cruise last year with Avalon and are booked again for next June.

Enjoy :)

We'll be on the Rhine River in December on a Viking Basel - Amsterdam cruise. Plus we're spending 2 days pre-cruise in Basel - a new city for us!

Can you tell us anything about Basel?

Did you spend any time there?

Any restaurants - especially ones that serve local cusine?

Any specific info about Basel or other ports would be well appreciated!!!

Hope your cruise continues to be wonderful!!!!

Cool cruiser

We were bused to Basel from Movenpick Hotel in Zurich which is Avalon start point.

Update on dress code , had captains dinner last night, women more dressed up, some men had jackets and ties, about 6 or 7, most had long sleeved shirts, some short sleeved, a few in polo shirts

We will be on the Artistry this time next year. I've been waiting to hear some reviews of the ship.

If you can pass along any tips/suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative! It seems that Avalon doesn't get many posters, so you are a breath of fresh air for me!!

We have also just booked to do the Basel - Amsterdam cruise in July/August next year, so very pleased to see a positive review of this new ship. Any details about the layout of the ship and amenities would be wonderful and tips as requested by CaroleSS.We sailed with Avalon Poetry in 2007 and found them excellent. Since then have been on Uniworld and Amawaterways and all very similar standards ( except AmaKatarina Moscow to St Petersburg, but we had been warned). Only changed from Avalon because of itinerary we wanted and dates available. Europe river cruising is so competitive now they are all trying to be better than each other which is great for travellers!:) Viv

We are doing the Highlights of Germany cruise - Munich to Basel. I don't see many people posting about this part of the river, so I'm "hungry" for information. Most people begin/end at Basel or Passua but nothing in the middle (which we will be)!

Anyway, let us know about the ship, it's crew, food.....you know the drill! I'm sure it will be GREAT, but I just like hearing about it!!:p

Hello:

We have also booked a Basel to Vienna cruise onboard the Artistry II next year.

I would prefer to spend a couple of days in central Zurich, vice the Zurich airport hotel - Movenpick. I am wondering if I could still participate in the Avalon bus transfer from the Movenpick Zurich to the ship in Basel - or do I have to find my own way to the port?

Have a great trip. Willbrook

What I have found is that if you purchase air through Avalon -with no pre/post days, transfers are included.

If you buy your own air and have no pre/post days, you can purchase a transfer and it is somewhat reasonable.

If you have any type of pre/post days, even if you purchase air through Avalon, transfers are exorbadent!

Ex: we fly into Munich. We thought about flying in a day or two early. If we arrive "on time" our transfers are $38pp, but if we arrive early (even if we book the room and our air through Avalon) our transfers are $52 PER PERSON!!!:eek:

While I realize that the Munich airport is quite a ways from our hotel, I have found that it is right on the train route and we can purchase a group ticket for 20€ ( $26). Quite a difference if you ask me!!!

Research costs. You can certainly find cheaper options out there.

Sailed on the Avalon Expression last month. It was superb. They think of everything. Included tours were excellent, even though a couple times the whisper transmitter didn't work.

We stayed 2 extra days in Budapest. We had booked air with Avalon. They wanted 50 Euros each for the airport transfer. We shared a taxi with another couple that the hotel booked. I charged it, the bill just arrived. It was $14.xx for the two of us. I gave him the last of our Budapest change for a tip

Hello:

We have also booked a Basel to Vienna cruise onboard the Artistry II next year.

I would prefer to spend a couple of days in central Zurich, vice the Zurich airport hotel - Movenpick. I am wondering if I could still participate in the Avalon bus transfer from the Movenpick Zurich to the ship in Basel - or do I have to find my own way to the port?

Have a great trip. Willbrook

It is really easy to get yourself to Basel. Non-stop trains direct from Zurich and then a tram or taxi to ship. Check out train site for Switzerland sbb..ch

We flew into Basel from London and it was a great airport. Only tricky part was depending on what exit you leave from, you end up in a different country. We ended up exiting into Germany and our car was waiting for us on Switzerland side..... who knew??

Archived