Princess Fine Art Auctions...Buyer Beware!

karen78739

If you're planning to attend an art auction on one of the Princess cruise ships, I'd like to warn you of the pit-falls of buying their art based on my recent experience.

My husband and I had purchased several works of art on previous cruises and had been impressed by both the promises of the auctioneers and the follow-up by Princess Fine Art. We'd spent about $80,000 total and, as promised, had been allowed to return one piece for a full refund and another to be reframed. In another case, Princess asked us to return a Picasso etching because they were no longer sure of its authenticity. In that case, they gave us an additional 15% because our money had been tied up in it for almost two years. Long story short, our previous experiences had been good, so we didn't hesitate to spend more money when we took a cruise on the Star Princess in the fall of 2006.

During our cruise in the fall, we purchased (or rather attempted to purchase): 1) an Alexandra Nechita painting, which we selected from a photograph because the painting was on another ship, 2) an Alexandra Nechita sculpture at an auction on the ship, and 3) a Roxy lithograph that was not on the ship but which we'd seen before. Here's how each of those purchases turned out...

1) Alexandra Nechita painting, $42,000 plus buyer's premium of $4200.

When we received the painting and saw it in person, we decided that we did not want it, partly because the colors were not as vibrant as we expected and partly because we decided we wanted something larger (which we WOULD have bought on a future Princess cruise). Although we'd been told we had 90 days to return the painting for a full refund, I received a message from Princess on January 15th saying that they would NOT refund the $4200 buyer's premium. Fortunately for us, their accounting department screwed up and I had already received a check for the full amount a couple of days prior to their message.

2) Alexandra Nechita sculpture, $13,500 plus buyer's premium of $1350. We were led to believe we were buying the sculpture on the ship, as they supposedly had three in their inventory; however, six weeks later when we still hadn't received it, I inquired as to where it was and found out that they were waiting on additional sculptures from the artist and that it would be approximately SIX MONTHS before we would receive it. Initially I was told that our buyer's premium would be forfeited if we cancelled the order, but after I pointed out that selling one piece of fine and delivering another constitutes fraud, I did receive a message that the full amount would be returned. I finally received a check on February 23rd, approximately six weeks after I asked for a refund and over four months after we had paid for the sculpture in full.

3) Roxy lithograph, approximately $200. This was another piece I had to inquire about after six weeks, only to find out they had no record of the purchase. After I provided proof, they did send it promptly; however, the frame was damaged and the glass scratched. They offered to reframe it, so I returned it, and it was then sent back in another frame that was also damaged, but we decided to just live with it.

While I still believe you can SOMETIMES get good prices on the artwork from Princess, you really have to do your research. For example, shortly before our fall cruise we had been to a Nechita show at a local gallery, and so we knew the prices on the less expensive works (like the lithos) were a good deal, but the paintings were selling right at the same price. The other advice I'd give is: 1) Don't buy anything unless you're absolutely sure you want to keep it forever or are willing to sell it through a third party, 2) Don't believe anything the auctioneers tell you...there's a reason it's not in writing, and 3) Don't believe that Princess Fine Art values you as a customer, no matter how much you spend.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and frustrations.

I still can't see why anyone would purchase fine art on a ship-just as I can't understand why one would have their teeth whitened on a ship! I guess to each his own, but it's not for me.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and frustrations.

I still can't see why anyone would purchase fine art on a ship-just as I can't understand why one would have their teeth whitened on a ship! I guess to each his own, but it's not for me.

You forgot boxing.....:rolleyes:

Karen sorry about your bad experience, at least you received your money back though.

All things considered, despite the hassle factor, you appeared to work most of your issues out with Princess. It does seem that you did your research, but one is not going to get the same degree of customer satisfaction in dealing with a large organization as you would with a local gallery. This is not to be unexpected. And it is reflected in the lower price that you paid than you would otherwise (by your own admission).

Most of us buy relatively inexpensive pieces of art and do not have the same issues regarding buyers premiums and items not in stock.

I think I can say - without going out on a limb- that your purchases are not typical of those of most of us on CC. I think it is going for us to be hard to relate to your dissatisfaction.

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I'm curious, do you buy all you art from Princess or other lines?

There have been some posts here on the possible pitfalls of buying art on a ship. The bottom line is to only buy something you like and not something at a bargain to resell. You can do a search under "art auctions"

I work in the art world and I can't understand that paintings (oils) supposedly worth thousands of $ are stored in a large closet that has no humidity control (protects the oils and lessens cracking). There is no dust protection (dulls the paint) or any normal safeguards. I once saw an auction person touching up a scratch. It was on a frame but it still makes you wonder!

Also, most art when it is shipped if it is over a certain $ amount ,it is not covered under your home owner's policy. You need special transit insurance. On land, most high end galleries provide art transit and the gallery covers the insurance until delivered. They do not use common carriers, like UPS or Fedex.This is not the case on Princess.

Anyway, again I am sorry this all happened to you but I am sure, for many years,you will enjoy all the artwork you already have.

I bought a Norman Rockwell litho signed and numbered on a Celebrity ship which has Park West as their art dealer. I always wanted a Rockwell but never did any prior research.

When I came home I researched my purchase which had yet to be delivered on the web. Long story short when I saw that I could buy the same picture in poster form for $50 instead of the $4200 I paid for it, I called Park West the day after we got home and said that I changed my mind. Fortunately for me, they gave me a full credit. I am amazed at how many people buy on board. I did buy one picture which we hung and enjoy but it was an litho on canvas that was embellished and was under $1000.

Last cruise I saw Rembrandt etchings going like hot cakes. I presume people know what they are buying.

It seems that Princess has their own art sales.

I am sorry for your troubles and believe ANYONE, no matter the price of the piece, CAN RELATE TO YOU

When I came home I researched my purchase which had yet to be delivered on the web. Long story short when I saw that I could buy the same picture in poster form for $50 instead of the $4200 I paid for it, I called Park West the day after we got home and said that I changed my mind. Fortunately for me, they gave me a full credit. I am amazed at how many people buy on board. I did buy one picture which we hung and enjoy but it was an litho on canvas that was embellished and was under $1000.

This is exactly the reason why Princess devotes so much time and space to this part of the business on every ship.

Then there are the people that go home and are disatisfied and never do anything about it.

Can you imagine the profit??? :eek:

Karen,

We've purchased a lot of art on cruises. We sailed Carnival once and Royal Caribbean 3 times and purchased art on every sailing. These cruise lines deal with Park West and we've never had any problems and are extremely satisfied with there service.

What company does Princess go through to get their art?

why not buy from local artists? they always need the income and unlike what you buy on the ship you are getting an origianl piece, not a copy. You never know when you are getting a piece from the next great master

From our very first cruise, the entire concept of buying “art” while on a cruise never made sense to me.

The vast majority are prints or copies, not originals.

Cruise lines only do this sort of thing unless they are profitable. From a distance, we have watched two “auctions” where maybe people bid on one out of six pieces presented. The markup on that one item has to be immense to cover the items that don’t sell.

The concept of buying this type of item while on a ship eludes me; unless this was the only place it could be obtained.

Me too. However, after a couple of glasses I usually buy something. LOL :D

I have to admit I also enjoy some of the commentary of the art dealers. We did talk to one dealer outside the auction about bying a piece.

But than you all who do buy for providing the champagne.

AZ,

Love the cheap Princess champers or whatever it is they serve with or without OJ. Don't forget to get up there early near the front so you can get the answers to the trivia questions and win "free" artwork.

Everyone,

Some people have problems others none.

I purchased a beautiful large Maturos in the Explorer's Lounge on the Coral last year which is gorgeous and an original watercolour by Patrice (in the same style as Yitzak Tarkay).

In addition I have purchased two Tarkay seriolithographs while with RCCL through Park West and now get notified of auctions in Calgary and Edmonton.

Absolutely no problems as long as you know what you're looking for and like what you buy.

Ciao for now!!!

Last cruise I saw Rembrandt etchings going like hot cakes. I presume people know what they are buying.

They were probably copies of Rembrandt etchings........and probably as valuable as a hotcake....;)

As in anything .

Buyers Be Aware. Know what your doing and looking at.

WHo is the highest paid person on most Cruise Ships in this level of cruiseing.. yes besides passengers..?

ANSWeR::

The Art Director. They make fees, Co-Op and as well Commissions on Items Sold.

:eek:

Yes the more which they sell no matter what they tell is money in there pockets.. and Wired to the banks..Money Markets.. etc...

If you're planning to attend an art auction on one of the Princess cruise ships, I'd like to warn you of the pit-falls of buying their art based on my recent experience.

My husband and I had purchased several works of art on previous cruises and had been impressed by both the promises of the auctioneers and the follow-up by Princess Fine Art. We'd spent about $80,000 total and, as promised, had been allowed to return one piece for a full refund and another to be reframed. In another case, Princess asked us to return a Picasso etching because they were no longer sure of its authenticity. In that case, they gave us an additional 15% because our money had been tied up in it for almost two years. Long story short, our previous experiences had been good, so we didn't hesitate to spend more money when we took a cruise on the Star Princess in the fall of 2006.

During our cruise in the fall, we purchased (or rather attempted to purchase): 1) an Alexandra Nechita painting, which we selected from a photograph because the painting was on another ship, 2) an Alexandra Nechita sculpture at an auction on the ship, and 3) a Roxy lithograph that was not on the ship but which we'd seen before. Here's how each of those purchases turned out...

1) Alexandra Nechita painting, $42,000 plus buyer's premium of $4200.

When we received the painting and saw it in person, we decided that we did not want it, partly because the colors were not as vibrant as we expected and partly because we decided we wanted something larger (which we WOULD have bought on a future Princess cruise). Although we'd been told we had 90 days to return the painting for a full refund, I received a message from Princess on January 15th saying that they would NOT refund the $4200 buyer's premium. Fortunately for us, their accounting department screwed up and I had already received a check for the full amount a couple of days prior to their message.

2) Alexandra Nechita sculpture, $13,500 plus buyer's premium of $1350. We were led to believe we were buying the sculpture on the ship, as they supposedly had three in their inventory; however, six weeks later when we still hadn't received it, I inquired as to where it was and found out that they were waiting on additional sculptures from the artist and that it would be approximately SIX MONTHS before we would receive it. Initially I was told that our buyer's premium would be forfeited if we cancelled the order, but after I pointed out that selling one piece of fine and delivering another constitutes fraud, I did receive a message that the full amount would be returned. I finally received a check on February 23rd, approximately six weeks after I asked for a refund and over four months after we had paid for the sculpture in full.

3) Roxy lithograph, approximately $200. This was another piece I had to inquire about after six weeks, only to find out they had no record of the purchase. After I provided proof, they did send it promptly; however, the frame was damaged and the glass scratched. They offered to reframe it, so I returned it, and it was then sent back in another frame that was also damaged, but we decided to just live with it.

While I still believe you can SOMETIMES get good prices on the artwork from Princess, you really have to do your research. For example, shortly before our fall cruise we had been to a Nechita show at a local gallery, and so we knew the prices on the less expensive works (like the lithos) were a good deal, but the paintings were selling right at the same price. The other advice I'd give is: 1) Don't buy anything unless you're absolutely sure you want to keep it forever or are willing to sell it through a third party, 2) Don't believe anything the auctioneers tell you...there's a reason it's not in writing, and 3) Don't believe that Princess Fine Art values you as a customer, no matter how much you spend.

Although we'd been told we had 90 days to return the painting for a full refund, I received a message from Princess on January 15th saying that they would NOT refund the $4200 buyer's premium.

I could have sworn that part of their spiel they indicated that on these paintings you can get a refund but that the buyer's premium was not refundable. I have to admit, I haven't necessarily paid a lot of attention to it, because quite frankly, those paintings are out of my price range :).

I've purchased various pieces of art from Princess, albeit none of them too expense. The priciest one was a Behrens piece at about $1350. I doubt I'll buy any in the future, having had a series of issues. I have not been happy with the framing, primarily, and actually ended up reframing all the pics that came w/plexiglass. I just didn't like it & some of it was scratched. The two I bought that were framed, but w/out glass, were fine...very nice in fact.

For me, it was a matter of convenience I guess. I saw things I liked & bought them, but I sure had my share of aggravation. Had to return some, they came back still not right, I ended up reframing, etc. Overall, I'd say it's a decent deal, but I wouldn't say spectacular. I think, as with most things, you get what you pay for. That being said, I wouldn't advise buying an extremely pricey piece on ship.

Hi Karen -

Which Roxy litho did you purchase? I just got off the Isalnd Princess where we purchased the Las Vegas litho and we had the impression it may have been one of the last ones in the Princess collection. (If anyone has contrary information, I would love to hear from you).

We were on the Regal Princess in December/January of this year with Shari Bohlmann-Hatchett and got to know her during that time.

Archived