Where to eat shave ice besides Matsumoto's?

scordovi

So I hear the best shave ice is at Matsumoto's. Unfortunatly none of the circle island tours goes there. Is there any other place in Waikiki or the other islands where we can get some good shave ice?

All circle island tours that I know of go to the North Shore and probably stop in Haleiwa so that you can peruse some of the shops. The town is small enough that if it doesn't stop at Matsumoto's, you can walk to it.

Aloha

I wondered the same thing. My adult neice who just returned from Lahaini, said it was something not to be missed. Sometimes made with a mixture of ice, flavorings (fabulous combinations) and ice cream. She raved about it so guess I will also be on the lookout!

Shave ice is much better than a snow cone. The ice is shaved rather than crushed so it is light and smooth (like freshly fallen snow) and not hard and crunchy like in a snow cone. It is served with ice cream (and sometimes azuki beans) on the bottom, then the ice and syrup on top. They have lots of tropical, exotic syrup flavors that you do not find in your typical snow cone.

My favorite shave ice stand is called Waiola. There are two properties: one in Kapahulu near Leonards's Malasadas and the other is in McCully. I consider this place to be better than Matsumoto's.

Neither is walkable from the pier or Waikiki, but both are accessible by bus.

Shave ice (not shave"d" ice) is just that. Finely shaved ice blocks with a syrup or two poured over it. Very cold and refreshing but watch out for brain freeze. I usually have azuki beans with mine, but you could have ice cream, mochi balls, and/or condensed milk too.

I usually go for strawberry syrup with lilikoi or POG syrups. Yum!

Renee (displaced local girl)

Our favorite is in Kapa'a Kauai on the highway to the North Shore. Ono Ono has the hugh shaved ice flower cups and they are generous with all the fixings. Don't forget the coconut ice cream and the coconut syrup on top :eek:

2130078730091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Pono Market right on the highway and just around the corner from the shaved ice stand (owned by the same "old Hawaiian family") also has some of the best Poke (Ahi - Tuna) I've eaten while on the islands. If you would like to try some local dishes then don't miss out on the Poke.

2718607440091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

There is another really good shaved ice stand in Hanalei Kauai (small trailer on the north side of the highway), also heading toward Kee Beach on the North Shore.

Our favorite is in Kapa'a Kauai on the highway to the North Shore. Ono Ono has the hugh shaved ice flower cups and they are generous with all the fixings. Don't forget the coconut ice cream and the coconut syrup on top :eek:

Pono Market right on the highway and just around the corner from the shaved ice stand (owned by the same "old Hawaiian family") also has some of the best Poke (Ahi - Tuna) I've eaten while on the islands. If you would like to try some local dishes then don't miss out on the Poke.

There is another really good shaved ice stand in Hanalei Kauai (small trailer on the north side of the highway), also heading toward Kee Beach on the North Shore.

OK...For planning purposes, when leaving Honolulu/Waikiki, are you going to the North Shore via Route 99 past the Dole Plantation or are you going the other way on Route 72 past Sea Life Park? I know going Route 72 is much longer, but more scenic.

Mahalo

OK...For planning purposes, when leaving Honolulu/Waikiki, are you going to the North Shore via Route 99 past the Dole Plantation or are you going the other way on Route 72 past Sea Life Park? I know going Route 72 is much longer, but more scenic.

Mahalo

You are confusing your "North Shores". Diverearl was referring to the North Shore of Kauai. Ono One Shave Ice is on Kauai, not on Oahu. You are talking about the North Shore of Oahu.

I like Ailana Shave Ice on Oahu. It is on Kalakaua Avenue in the Waikiki area near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (the Pink Palace).

You are confusing your "North Shores". Diverearl was referring to the North Shore of Kauai. Ono One Shave Ice is on Kauai, not on Oahu. You are talking about the North Shore of Oahu.

I like Ailana Shave Ice on Oahu. It is on Kalakaua Avenue in the Waikiki area near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (the Pink Palace).

Shows how much I know. :o

Archived