Cool, new cruise line activities

prescottbob

"...new Quantum of the Seas next year complete with “virtual balconies” on indoor cabins..."

Whaaa?

Floor-to-ceiling TV screens showing a view on the side of the ship that wall is facing. I would like the view to be selectable, from any of the four directions, but it won't be.

All these amenities serve to make the ship the destination - ports are secondary to getting pax to spend $$ onboard rather than (or perhaps in addition to) in port, food becomes part of the entertainment rather than a feature in itself, service is in danger of becoming characterized. A ship with many amenities has a different ambiance. Finding a place, on ship or on land, to just go and relax is getting to be more and more difficult. IMO, of course.

All these amenities serve to make the ship the destination - ports are secondary to getting pax to spend $$ onboard rather than (or perhaps in addition to) in port, food becomes part of the entertainment rather than a feature in itself, service is in danger of becoming characterized. A ship with many amenities has a different ambiance. Finding a place, on ship or on land, to just go and relax is getting to be more and more difficult. IMO, of course.

I agree. Now I don't necessarily say that's bad or wrong that ships provide a whole array of entertainment venues but it's not the cruise experience we want. We're destination cruisers and avoid cruises that have too many sea days. Luckily, at least right now, there are lots of choices in terms of destinations, itineraries, and ships. We want comfortable accommodations, good food, and a relaxing evening atmosphere. We really do think of a cruise ship as a floating hotel that magically moves us from port to port but not as a floating self-contained resort.

I agree. Now I don't necessarily say that's bad or wrong that ships provide a whole array of entertainment venues but it's not the cruise experience we want. ... We really do think of a cruise ship as a floating hotel that magically moves us from port to port but not as a floating self-contained resort.

That is how we feel as well.

We've always enjoyed our virtual window on HAL, except when we forget to turn it on.... Interesting it always faces forward.

We love it, too, we also like the music it plays. We usually do one formal night with it on and room service, with pajamas, drinking, dancing and a movie! :)

Our upcoming b2b we are doing this once.

DH just happened to ask about it yesturday. :)

Archived