Pearl Vs. Sun

ShannonSC2

We just got off the Sun on Monday. We left on the 10th of June from Whittier, Alaska. We had a great time!

We also took a cruise on the Pearl on March 31st in the Caribbean. This was the last cruise for the Pearl before they went into their 15 day dry-dock.

So here is the difference in the two ships (Please note that both are totally different venues and different people)

Both ships are beautiful! I loved the character of each ship!

We always found open tables on the Sun in the Great Outdoors. Of course not a lot of people like to eat outside in Alaska but we found it to be nice.

The food on the buffet was much better on the Pearl. The waffle fries are the best on the Pearl! Reminded me of Chick Fil A fries! The Pearl also had more of a selection and changed out their food depending on the port we were in.

I loved the Sport Bar area on the Sun! The wings were the best! They also have nice windows so you can sit in there and see the scenery! They also had popcorn every day!

The service in the 4 Seasons & 7 Seas on the Sun was fast. We never really had to wait on our meal the two times we ate there! Of course there was never a wait to get a table & there were a lot of empty tables. The wait staff was wonderful & very helpful. We ate a few times on the Pearl and the service seemed much slower. Of course it was busier!

The staff on the Pearl was amazing. They would go the extra mile for you! They seemed happy all week (could have been because they were getting a few days off by going into dry-dock). The Sun everyone was friendly but they didn't go the extra mile. They seemed to be there to do their job and that was it.

When we arrived on the Pearl we went through the high five where everyone was there to greet you! I guess I was expecting this again but no one greeted us as we entered the ship on the Sun! Sort of disappointed! :)

The staff did a lot of singing & dancing on the Pearl! A lot of "Washy Washy Happy Happy! on the Pearl. We just go the spray on the Sun! We tried to get them to say Washy Washy but they looked at us like we were crazy!

I guess the Pearl had me spoiled! The white out party on the Sun was held in Dazzle! Not a lot of room for dancing. Also missed the Port Party which was held on the Pearl!

I did do a lot more stuff on the Sun! The kids loved the teen club on the Sun! They met a lot of great teens last week!

The Sun didn't make a big deal about the chocolate bar! They just put out a table with chocolate. The Pearl had a night just for the chocolate bar! They had every thing you could think of!

I also loved the Observation area on the Sun! That is where I saw my first whale! It was nice to go out there and see things!

The captains was great on both ships. Both always kept us informed of things coming up!

Anyway that is my thoughts on both ships! It was fun to compare both ships! Of course the Pearl could be different being in Alaska & the Sun could be different being in the Caribbean! Loved both ships!

Shannon

Thanks for sharing your thought. I have been on the Sun twice and on the Pearl's sister ship, Jewel. Funny thing, when we sailed out of Miami on the Jewel, the Pearl was in port too. We sailed Transatlantic to Greece and Pearl thru Panama Canal. Wished I could have cloned myself and done both!

By the way, Sun is my fave... But Jewel is coming to Texas... So, decisions, decisions....

Thank you for your review of both ships. I happen to be booked on the Sun in April 2014 and the Pearl in Oct 2014, so your subject title really caught my eye. First time for me for both ships.

Thank you for your review of both ships. I happen to be booked on the Sun in April 2014 and the Pearl in Oct 2014, so your subject title really caught my eye. First time for me for both ships.

You will love the Sun, as Donna says it's her favorite.She is correct. The crew is great.

We did a B2B on the Sun, no complaint's at all. Enjoy. ;)

We are also on the Pearl on the eastern Caribbean portion Oct 20/13

Doing the whole repo cruise 32 day's , our first time on the Pearl,also our first time in a suite :)

We have a roll call started, can't wait.

Vic

I have been on the Sky which is the Sun's sister ship, and I have been on the Pearl. Your thoughts closely echoed mine.

I loved the Observation lounge and deck on the Sky, and the atrium. Unfortunately the Jewel class ships don't have the high, soaring atriums like the Sky, Sun, Star, Spirit, etc. I miss that!

But other than those things, I'll have to say the Pearl/Jewel is a few notches above the Sky/Sun. Pearl/Jewel are newer, bigger, have more options, etc.

Also, the Pearl has the best buffet in my opinion, as far as layout.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting an older thread but I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for making this comparison. Great timing for me.

I'm looking at booking the Sun or the Pearl for a Pacific Coastal next year.

Both are $349pp. Same ports.

The Sun is a 6 day cruise. The Pearl a 5 day.

Decisions, decisions! :) This helps me get some facts about both ships.

I know I'm resurrecting an older thread but I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for making this comparison. Great timing for me.

I'm looking at booking the Sun or the Pearl for a Pacific Coastal next year.

Both are $349pp. Same ports.

The Sun is a 6 day cruise. The Pearl a 5 day.

Decisions, decisions! :) This helps me get some facts about both ships.

LOL I'd go for the one with the extra day!!

Archived