Cell Phones on Cunard?

guernseyguy

Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?

• Yes
    • No

A growing trend among cruise lines is to have not only Wi-Fi throughout the ship, but also are enabling cell phone usage:

http://*****.com/gtgqx

As the article notes:

About a dozen lines now have wireless service on some ships.

Notable holdouts: Cunard, Princess Cruises and Seabourn. Cunard and Princess are considering it.

So, dear reader, do you wish to see (or hear) cell phones on your next Cunard voyage?

Vote now!

Peter

I'm one of those voters in the "NO" column!! The world seems to live with a cell phone attached to its collective ear....is everyone really that important? I really don't want to sit in a lovely restaurant onboard and have someone nearby, or God forbid at my table, feel compelled to talk on the phone thru dinner. It's rude and boorish and if the capability was there I guarantee you that's what would happen. :(

I wouldn't object if there was one small area of the ship that had the capability to access a cell signal, but shipwide? No... please!

Cheers, Penny

PS...interesting poll subject Peter...

I had to vote with Penny too.

I recognize the importance of a cell phone for certain types of jobs and they are great for scheduling things with families and friends and for emergency purposes. However, that being said, they are also widely misused by a large portion of society. It seems nowadays no one can sit quietly and feel they must call up anyone they can with their cells for the sake of talking only. I commute every day on the commuter train to work and am amazed at the nonsensical conversations people have. Do we really need to phone people from a train or when walking down a street if there is no need to? And those silly earpieces that make one looks like a Vulcan? Are you really impressing yourself that you have the latest technological gadget?

We might be bringing our cell with us on our QM2 trip in December but like previous trips we will only use it for when we return to arrange a pickup at the airport or for emergencies. I suspect it will be off most of the time as in the past and we won't drag it to every port we visit. I don't feel the need to say "Guess where I am calling from" and truly don't want the office to follow me while I am on vacation.

So if I had a choice I wouldn't rush to put cell service on a cruise ship. That being said I am afraid it'll happen anyway.

David

Since I started the poll I thought I'd better phrase it as neutrally as possible, I am however definitely in the 'No' camp.

One of the attractions of a voyage is getting away from the multiple distractions of the modern world - and high on that list is my (but mainly!) other people's mobile phones.

The issue is that putting in mobile phone connectivity onboard will be a(nother) source of on-board revenue for Cunard. The question, I guess, is how much extra revenue they stand to gain at the expense some of their brand image.

And as for those who 'have to be intouch 24/7', I would simply remind you of Clemanceau's observation that 'The cemetaries are full of...the indispensable'.

Peter

I am afraid that at some point all of the cruise lines will have cell phones, but until that point my family will actively seek out those lines that do not have the dreaded devices and we will divert our cruise dollars to those lines.

But it's not just cell phones, it's also those walkie talkie devices that are causing so much noise. Why somone feels the need announce what is on the breakfast buffet to someone else who as the pool, I will never understand. This entire communication issue is contrary to the basic premise of a cruise which is to get away and relax.

I just hope that the cruise lines will create, and enforce, very strict useage guidelines.

Another vote in the "No" camp from me. One of the joys of cruising is that you can leave so much at the dockside and enjoy the ship, the destinations and the company of your fellow passengers . It was bad enough when airplanes became a mobile zone, let's hope that ships don't go the same way.

I voted "No", but I fear it's inevitable. Just another instance of something technical being done because it can be done, not because it ought to be done. If we're lucky, that same technology can limit usage to the cabins and jam it in all public areas.

Paul

No. The point of being on holiday is to be away from everyone.

You can phone from your cabin, and send and receive email. That's quite enough - and I gather you can do email from your cabin on the Scary Mary.

Mobile 'phones are a curse of modern society in so many ways, unless dealt with carefully.

As for those walkie talkie things - I've not seen those on board. They seem a very American thing from what I gather.

I have cruised solo, with my wife and with my wife and others. At no time have I really felt the need for instant communication with the rest of my group.

Okay,

I have to buck the trend and give a qualified yes. Why? Because I use a cellular modem. On the Labor Day trip, I was able to post to the board through it as we were leaving Halifax. Radio waves are primarily limited by the curvature of the earth at sea, so it may go as far out as fifty miles. I have also been (slightly) involved in putting the trunks in that serve these ships.

I do NOT want to see people yakking away on board. The way these are done, is that an actual switch is installed in the communications room of the ship. The cellular service is distributed throughout the ship by what is known as "leaky wire". installed in the ceiling. It is possible, somewhat, to direct where it does and does not work. It is possible to shield the wire in spots. My hope is that, as they deploy this technology, they will recognize that people go on cruises to get away from all of the distractions of modern life- Television, News, Cell phones, Faxes, work, etc.

I do recognize that there are people (such as Jack-At-Sea) for which technology has been a God-send. He, and others who must be available or stay in touch with their businesses would never be able to take a cruise were it not for technology which allows them to check emails, make phone calls, and generally stay in touch with folks. We've also read posts on here where parents were so worried about keeping in touch with folks back home, in case of emergency, that they probably would not have enjoyed their trips, otherwise.

Telephone service has aways been available in one form or another on Cunard ships, all of last century. Take a glimpse at the information on the Queen Mary's communications (the original one) They had operators who would take down messages to be transmitted via radiotelephone, and they made reservations for telephone calls back home. These were accomplished via Marine Relay stations and marine Radio-Telephone operators. Marine telephone operators have existed since I've been around and longer. All that's really changed is how it was done. The good news was one had

to go to a room, far from the madding crowd, to do one's business in the old days, It wasn't reliable, as the actual transmission media was short wave radio to base relay stations. The Relay stations could put up a telephone patch.

I do believe there is a place for cell phones. However, like others, I do not want to EVER see anyone in the bars, the restaurants, the theater, or the library EVER yakking on any kind of cell phone, cellular, marine or otherwise! Keep it in the rooms, and let people waste their money and their vacations all they want. People tend to talk loudly on cell phones, and tend to be somewhat inane, and even talk about very private matters where everyone can (and is forced to) hear them! Personally, as a cellular technician, I hate to talk on the phone. I am embarassed when my phone rings in the grocery store, and often say I will call you back, except if it is a matter (as happened last night) of Marc calling to say, "Oh while you are there, please pick up xyz"

I have also found it quite helpful, if we split up on shore excursions to be able to find one another. We had a tough time the other night when I had to find a place to sit down, but Marc wanted to see some exhibits at a large fair. He panicked when he couldn't find me and called my cell. (Of course, I missed the call looking for my phone in my purse! <LOL>)

So I have very mixed emotions. To me, it will destroy the serenity of a cruise. And I always joked at work that I took cruises because if the boss really wanted to get hold of me, it would cost him 15 bucks a minute, so he'd really have to think long and hard about it!

One thing cellular at sea is doing, is bringing down the cost of satellite communications. Right now, with the prices for satellite calls Cunard is charging, there isn't a lot of saving on cell phones. As more and more cellular is deployed, I suspect it will force Satellie to be more competetive (though I am not sure how much more scoosh room there is for that. Iridum went bankrupt, as did other satellite companies. There's not much room left to cut costs) By the way, the cellualr company bills you, not Cunard. And the onboard sstem is shut down when near land, so you pick up land stations instead. And not all technologies work on board. GSM (the European standard to start. CDMA will follow eventually, (and in some places, I think may have already been deployed) That's the extent, so far, to my knowledge. I do have a bit more info, if anyone is interested. Also- Princess has already deployed cellular at sea. I believe P&O has not.

My ultimate hope is that it will bring down the cost of internet on board. Then I can get on, quickly, do what I need (or want) to do, and get off, and get back to having fun!

Karie,

the cellular technician

I also voted No, even though we did bring ours with us to use while in port, this was mainly due to leaving a teenage son at home, who we just wanted to 'touch base' with once in a while.

I'd be interested to know what reason the two people who voted yes have for doing so however ;)

I'm another one who would hate to see cell phones on Cunard. They're useful when you're in port, but it is nice to be uncontactable when you're at sea:)

Exactly I find that the disrespectfull people that use a cell phone in a public area(i.e resturant, lounge, theater etc) speak so loudly that they really do not need a phone just open a window and your far away contact should be able to hear your conversation just like everyone around you can!!!!!!!!!!!o

I also voted No, even though we did bring ours with us to use while in port, this was mainly due to leaving a teenage son at home, who we just wanted to 'touch base' with once in a while.

I'd be interested to know what reason the two people who voted yes have for doing so however ;)

Make that 3, as I had not voted. (I couldn't figure out how- just did. Have to actually click on the subject, not the "view next post" arrow.)

See my LO-o-n0g answer above. But I am just as reluctant to have them aboard as the others.

I would love to see them have a room, much as the original Queen Mary did where cell phones could be used..no, MUST be used. And no where else. Rarely is anything such an emergency that you would get off the ship for it. If you wouldn't get off the ship, then why do you need to know til you get home (Okay, some things can be taken care of over the phone. I once got a call from my alarm company while I was aboard. Didn't find out till we got off in Puerto Rico. Then I was freaking out! Turns out my garage door didn't close- it went back up and neighbors went into the house to see if everything was okay... And set off the alarm. One neighbor now has a key and the alarm code)

Karie,

who voted yes, but with STRONG reservations and restrictions.

Make that 3, as I had not voted. (I couldn't figure out how- just did. Have to actually click on the subject, not the "view next post" arrow.)

See my LO-o-n0g answer above. But I am just as reluctant to have them aboard as the others.

I would love to see them have a room, much as the original Queen Mary did where cell phones could be used..no, MUST be used.

Karie,

who voted yes, but with STRONG reservations and restrictions.

I think that this might be the only compromise.

Regarding emergencies, well in a real emergency it is possible for a phone call to be made to/from the ship, so I can't see how that's a valid argument for having them. I for one was glad to be able to lock my mobile away in the safe on sea days, and often forgot to remove it again even while in port. Thankfully no one back home (mainly my mother who was keeping an eye out for teen son) seemed to notice they didn't get a reply for a few days - probably because they had no idea when we might be able to get a signal anyway :D

I voted "No" - there is simply nothing so vital that it cannot be dealt with quickly enough by the comms tech already available to pax; and I fear that if cell tech is installed it will simply open the floodgates to the sort of thoughtless, boorish behaviour already described.

Karie has been kind enough to explain her reasons for voting 'yes', but apart from her, so far only the 'no' voters are confessing, perhaps some of the other 'yes' voters might like to share their reasons?

Peter

Six have now voted "Yes". That's a substantial minority.

Karie's in depth response echoes my attitude. From what she says, their use could be made available ONLY in ones cabin and I believe such use will add to the feeling of well-being for many passengers while not offending anyone else. Yes, it is rude to talk on a cell phone in a restaurant! It is also rather poor form to tell people they shouldn't have cell phones on a cruise even when it wouldn't affect anyone else. So I vote very qualified yes!

It is also rather poor form to tell people they shouldn't have cell phones on a cruise even when it wouldn't affect anyone else.

No one has suggested that - simply that when at sea, out of reach of land, other communication methods available (telephone, email) are adequate, without the potential negatives of onboard cell phone coverage.

Peter

This could be considered old school and tradionalist but one of the positives my husband and I have found by cruising is the absence of ringing phones; which you tend to get on land based vacations. They are ringing by the pool, in the bars, in the restaurants, during tours and on balconies.

Just imagine sitting on deck with the one/s you love, cocktail in hand (substitute for beverage of choice), reflecting on a most amazing sun-soaked day, while watching the most fantastic sun-set of yellows, golds and blazing reds........only to be disturbed by the crass polyphonic ringtones of a mobile telephone.

Passengers of Cunard have managed in the past, so whats become so urgent now?

Shelly

I'm a yay-sayer. For selfish reasons, but then I guess when it comes to something like this everyone's justification either way is for selfish reasons.

My husband and I own our own business. For us to be able to take trips like this being able to be in contact with work is pretty important. Yes we can get by with email but being able to be contacted in cases of emergency or when an important decision has to be made - NOW! would be preferable and make is more feasible for us to be able to take trips more often.

That said, I hate mobile phone boors as much as anyone. I would never subject anyone else to my phone conversations and would always turn it off or make it silent during meals and other innapropriate times. However, I know that not everyone is as considerate. Perhaps they could ban them from the dining room or something?

Cheers

Timmi

Let me give the reasons for the other five. They would like to be able to talk to home/their friends/their business/ their stockbrokers while on a cruise. :rolleyes:

They won't answer here because 27 people will attack them as being tacky, boorish, selfish, loud and inconsiderate. :mad:

BTW, One of them is because if he (or she) could not stay in touch with his (or her) privately owned business, he (or she) could not go on a cruise at all. :confused:

Oh yeah, and one was on around the Horn- maybe from texas, and wants to call the embassy in case he gets kidnapped and held hostage again on a luxury cruise ship full of fun, booze, gourmet food, swimming pool and spa, and more. And to call his lawyer to sue. And to call the good Morning America show for an interview before the ship even hits the shore. :eek:

<smirk>

ANON:cool:

Archived