Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cayman Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rum Cake Factory location

Where is the Rum Cake Factory? Is it close to the dock and shopping area? Can you walk to it?

Princess Island, Alaska Southbound, July 2006
Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, June 2007

Old December 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestbrook
Where is the Rum Cake Factory? Is it close to the dock and shopping area? Can you walk to it?
The rum cake factory is NOT within walking distance. It is out near the Turtle Farm.

It's also not anything to plan your trip around, as it consisted of looking through a window at two old ladies pouring batter into pans when we were there! HAHA! The "factory" exists to sell souvenirs in their gift shop. You can also get free samples of every flavor cake they make.

If you simply want to buy some rum cakes, there is no advantage to buying them there, as they are available all over the island - AND ON THE SHIPS! - for the same prices!

We visited the "factory" as part of a tour that took us to Stingray City, Hell, and Turtle Farm, so it was a nice 10-mintue stop for a snack and bottle of water. We actually bought our cakes from a little shop right off the tendering pier that delivered them right to the ship for us so we wopuld not have to carry them around all day.

There are other bakers all over the toruist area selling their cakes too, and some were even tastier than the ones we wound up buying! Be sure to sampleas much as you can!

The cakes are tasty, but expensive! ENJOY!

PAST CRUISES:

Disney - DISNEY WONDER (4/03)
Royal Caribbean - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS (11/06)
Princess - CARIBBEAN PRINCESS (5/07)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN SUN (3/08)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN STAR (10/08)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN STAR (09/09)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION (4/10)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION (2/11)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN EPIC-EUROPE (10/11)
Carnival - CARNIVAL GLORY-CANADA (7/12)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION (12/12)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN GEM (3/13)
Princess - GOLDEN PRINCESS (10/13)

Old December 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
10,000+ Club

While many, if not most, tourists associate Cayman islands with Tortuga rum cakes, DH & I have found our family and friends much prefer the Blackbeard's Rum Cakes which are also produced and sold in Grand Cayman. We have actually brought back rum cakes from many of the Caribbean islands and Blackbeard's has won out over all but one other rum cake in our unofficial ``Friend's and Family'' tasting survey. (Calypso Rum Cakes produced by a family in Barbados is at the top of the tasting survey list).

We purchase our Blackbeard's Rum Cakes at a small stand located inside the shopping mall across from the cruise dock. You can sample their various cakes there at the small stand. Blackbeard's cakes are less expensive than Tortuga as well.

Our favorite is Blackbeard's Hurricane Rum Cake which is a marbled chococlate and vanilla cake laced with rum, however we also enjoy the company's pina colada, lime, and .... heck, they're all good.

And no, DH & I are not related to any members of the company's founders or employees and we do not receive any commission from sales. We just like to let others know there are many rum cakes available that are less expensive and better tasting that Tortuga.

Dianne

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
5,000+ Club

There is a small Tortuga Rum Cake "store" on the main street just past the Blue Iguana gift shop and the little white church. This is about a 10 minute walk from the new tender pier which is near the historic church.

Bon Voyage

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Infinity 15 nights East bound Panama Canal - San Diego to Miami, Celebrity Constellation 5 nights 2/3/14, Celebrity Eclipse So. Caribbean 14 nights 3/9/2013, Crown Princess British Isles & France 5/19/2011, Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean 6/13/2010, Golden Princess Hawaii from LA 4/11/10, Carnival Freedom 6 night Western 2/21/2010, RCI Jewel of the Seas 10/27/2009 repo Boston to Miami, Caribbean Princess 11/2/08 Southern Caribbean, NCL Gem to No Where @ Boston 12/13/2007, NCL Majesty to Bermuda, 7/1 2007, Emerald Princess, 5/ 29/2007 Grand Meditteranean, RCI Freedom of the Seas 11/5/2006 Western Caribbean, Carnival Pride 10/30/05 Mexican Riviera, RCI Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04 Western Carib. ,Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04 Eastern Carib., Carnival Conquest 10/26/03 Western Carib from NOLA, Carnival Legend 4/11/2003 from Ft. Lauderdale, Carnival Pride 2/23/2002 from Port Canaveral, Celebrity Galaxy 11/01 Southern Carib. from SanJuan, Grand Princess 3/2001 - from FLL, Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000 - Europe Capt. Club, Sea Princess 2/22/1999 - Western Carib. from FLL, Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998- Panama Canal, Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998- Southern Carib., Celebrity Century 3/1997, Celebrity Zenith 11/1996, Legend of the Seas 6/1995- Alaska, Celebrity Horizon 4/1994- So. Carib. from San Juan

Old December 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely try out Blackbeard's rum cakes. All I had ever read about were the Tortuga rum cakes.

Princess Island, Alaska Southbound, July 2006
Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, June 2007

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
5,000+ Club

We too liked the blackbeards rum cakes better - I really liked the banana flavor. Jan
8/17/08 - Mariner of the Seas - & 35th wedding anniversary
8/23/09 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise -36th anniversary - 5 days late
10/9/10 - Radiance of the Seas - From Tampa, FL-DD's first cruise
10/8/11 - Oasis of the Seas - Eastern (DH's early 60th birthday)
9/14/12 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda (Jan's 60th birthday cruise - oh my!)
8/17/13 - Oasis - B2B Cruise - 40th Anniversary (DS & DDIL (first leg of cruise - 1st anniversary).
8/24/13 - Oasis - 2nd leg of the cruise
9/5/2014 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda - 1st suite - mortgage paid off celebration!!!
8/15/2015 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise (3 new ports) - 42nd Anniversary

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (William Penn)

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

There is a Tortuga shop across the street from the newer dock & also another one near Hard Rock. They bake cakes at the one near Hard Rock. We always go there first & buy rum & cakes. They ship the booze back to the ship for you.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Crazy qt -but since I am heading to my first Grand Cayman port -- are you all refering to George Town? I am not aware if there are other ports at which the cruise ships stop....

Thank you.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Cozumel - from Galveston...2/23/06----RCCL The Grandeur, W Caribbean from New Orleans...1/13/07--- Carnival Fantasy from New Orleans....11/26/07---Carnival Spirit from San Diego.....10/18/08---NCL Spirit from New Orleans 1/4/09
2010: Carnival Triumph, W Carib -RT New Orleans...2/1/10; NCL EPIC, MODIFIED due to hurricane - combo E and W Carib-RT Miami....8/28/10
2011: NCL POA, HAWAII- RT Honolulu....2/12/11;

Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusingici
Crazy qt -but since I am heading to my first Grand Cayman port -- are you all refering to George Town? I am not aware if there are other ports at which the cruise ships stop....

Thank you.
Yes. that's where your ship will dock.

Have a great time. It's a beautiful port city and shopping isn't the only great venue there. Check out Grand Cayman on Ports of Call board. there's a wealth of info there on what to do in Grand Cayman after you dock.

Dianne