New Ship Names Just Announced

skohrs

Just announced on the Annual Meeting webcast, the new ships are Disney Dream to launch in 2011, Disney Fantasy in 2012!!!!cool1.gif

Too bad they couldn't be more original instead of duplicating names of Carnival ships.:(

Disney Cruise Line has named its upcoming new-builds: Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy (Click here for the full story). The names are not exactly original -- after all, Dream and Fantasy are both names of Carnival cruise ships. I was feeling creative, however :) and wrote a little fairy tale about the "birth" of Disney’s upcoming vessels. Feel free to write your own!

“Once upon a time, there was a cruise company named Disney. She had two daughters who so desperately wanted a sister. So they wished on a star and invoked their fairy godmothers, and one day they woke up in Germany with a pot of gold. They traded their goal for magic steel. 'Please make us a sister who will travel the world with us and spread magic and wonder throughout the land,' they asked of the magic steel. There was a puff of smoke, and there appeared not one sister, but two! The girls were so happy, they named their sisters Dream and Fantasy, because all their dreams and biggest fantasies had just come true. The end.”

A DREAM is a wish your heart makes...when you set sail!

FANTASY in the Sky fireworks...old Disney memory! We stayed at the Polynesian in the Hawaii longhouse and watched Fantasy in the Sky fireworks every night, which I prefer to Wishes.

Considering Disney usually have vivid imagination and fresh ideas I can't help feeling that these chosen names, not being original, are somewhat tired! I do hope it is not the Disney brand that is tired - and I wish these two new ships every success.

Way back in 2001 when DCL was mentioning adding more ships to the fleet these were they names chosen. Then 9/11 happened and the new ships were put on hold until now.

I forgot all about that. I did not know they had selected names at the time but I do remember hearing from someone in the cruiseline that it had been announced to them that they were going to build new ships. That was in 2000 I think.

Considering Disney usually have vivid imagination and fresh ideas I can't help feeling that these chosen names, not being original, are somewhat tired! I do hope it is not the Disney brand that is tired - and I wish these two new ships every success.

I agree with you and thinking out loud now that Belle907 refreshed my memory, assuming she is correct,about the names,( I am not doubting) Disney may have been the 1 to have at least the Dream as a first. The Carnival Fantasy had them beat by at least 8 years.

Assuming that both new ships were planned back in 2000/2001, and things were progressing, if the paperwork had been done already for the names, it might be hard to change or at least expensive. just thinking out loud.

The new names actually make sense. Imho. Forgetting that almost every other major line has a Fantasy,Dream or both, whats Disney saying on commercials, or at least had been? The place where a Dream really can come true? And that a world of Fantasy,Magic and Wonder awaits you?

Archived