Geting differing info about Pancho's Backyard. Please help clarify

tusconcam

Hi there.

Yes I know I post a fair bit of questions on this board, but I just want to get the most out of my upcoming cruise.

I have asked about Puerta Maya Pier and a Pancho's Backyard location there and have received differing information from others.

Some have said that there is no Pancho's near my Pier (will be docking at the International Pier)

Wouldn't that indicate that there isn't one nearby at Puerta Maya Pier?

However,the restaurant's website indicates a location there.

My girlfriend and I are seeking a water view and it seems that the Puerta Maya location supplies that, but I get different advice on that too. Some posters tell me that I will not get a water view at the Puerta Maya location and others have stated that I won't be able to get one downtown due to it being across the road. Yet others have said that because it is behind Cinco Soles store no water view is possible.

I cannot tell from Trip Advisor review pics where the water view (with even a little bit of sand and lounge chairs) is: Downtown or Puerta Maya Pier?

Can someone please help me with information about this restaurant because it may be reasonably located for us and hopefully can give us a relaxing view out to the water.

P.S How does it compare with Ernesto's?

Thank you

Hi there.

Yes I know I post a fair bit of questions on this board, but I just want to get the most out of my upcoming cruise.

I have asked about Puerta Maya Pier and a Pancho's Backyard location there and have received differing information from others.

Some have said that there is no Pancho's near my Pier (will be docking at the International Pier)

Wouldn't that indicate that there isn't one nearby at Puerta Maya Pier?

However,the restaurant's website indicates a location there.

My girlfriend and I are seeking a water view and it seems that the Puerta Maya location supplies that, but I get different advice on that too. Some posters tell me that I will not get a water view at the Puerta Maya location and others have stated that I won't be able to get one downtown due to it being across the road. Yet others have said that because it is behind Cinco Soles store no water view is possible.

I cannot tell from Trip Advisor review pics where the water view (with even a little bit of sand and lounge chairs) is: Downtown or Puerta Maya Pier?

Can someone please help me with information about this restaurant because it may be reasonably located for us and hopefully can give us a relaxing view out to the water.

P.S How does it compare with Ernesto's?

Thank you

You won't get a water view downtown. The restaurant is inside a courtyard inside the Los Cinco Soles store. There is no Ponchos on the International Pier, only a Los Cinco Soles store. There is a Los Cincos Soles store and a Panchos on the Puerto Maya Pier but as I told you in another post you won't be allowed on to the Puerta Maya Pier. Only those whose ships are docked there will be allowed inside the pier complex.

Edited by Charles4515

You won't get a water view downtown. The restaurant is inside a courtyard inside the Los Cinco Soles store. There is no Ponchos on the International Pier, only a Los Cinco Soles store. There is a Los Cincos Soles store and a Panchos on the Puerto Maya Pier but as I told you in another post you won't be allowed on to the Puerta Maya Pier. Only those whose ships are docked there will be allowed inside the pier complex.

What Charles says is true if you are trying to get on the actual pier at Puerta Maya, but entering the shopping area, where Panchos is located doesn't require showing an ID. It's not on the pier. You just walk in from the street/taxi area and turn right. We've docked at PM many times and never had to show any ID to walk into the shopping area. Only entering the Dufry shop or directly onto the pier.

Tusconcam, you are doing the Cozumel Bar Hop, correct?? I would HIGHLY recommend eating at the locations along the Hop (there are some really great local, fresh options). Then when you are back at the Int'l pier, stop and have a drink or two at Sr. Frogs which is right there at the pier, and sit oceanside. Beautiful water views, plenty of sun (as long as it's out) and a great place to wrap up your day in Cozumel.

Yes, it's a chain, but if you are spending the day on the Hop, you'll be at some of the local places for food that you are looking for.

And quite honestly, once you are done with the HOP you might just want to go back and have a drink, do a little shopping, then head back to the ship to relax. (it can be a LOT of fun).

You may only have an hour or two between when the HOP drops you off at the pier and when you depart, so I wouldn't wander away too far.

Another option is to get off the HOP at Puerta Maya so that you you don't have to back track. But if you indeed are just looking for local food, sunshine, sand and beach, you will get PLENTY of that on the Hop.

• 6 months later...

When we went to Pancho's in 2012, it was Downtown (not near either pier), on the far end past or very near the end of the shopping district. It is (or was, if it is still there) on the main roadway with the ocean just across the street. We were seated in what I think was the bar area next to a window by the street but I don't recall much of a view due to the street level traffic, etc. I looked back at my photos and did not have any of our view from inside. If you get seated back in the courtyard area, there definitely was no view of any kind. The food and margaritas were very, very good though !!! :D

You can walk through the shop area at International Pier and turn right at the road. The walk down to Puerta Maya pier is about 10 minutes.. Continue through the covered walkway and Los Cinco Soles and Panchos will be on the right. You can get a table inside or outside in the sandy area with loungers. No charges or problems to relax there for a bit.. No beach or water access but shaded with nice views.. Remember the Puerta Maya pier area is only open if ships are docking there that day..

I can give you a definate answer to your question. There IS a Pancho's by the Puerta Maya Pier. I was at Pancho's Backyard twice in 3 weeks. My wife brought tennis shoes for our waiter's kids on our return trip. Where our ship docks, you go through the shopping area and turn to the left. You go all the way to the end, about 2 blocks and Pancho's is right on the beach by the Christmas store. You can either eat inside or out by the beach, but either way you will get a great water view and view of your ship. Food is pretty good also.

1610375908_1stCruise-CarnivalFantasy-Progreso-Cozumel-Jan30-Feb42010277a.jpg.1181b67e10c6cfb1b9314d08360a45bc.jpg

929903302_1stCruise-CarnivalFantasy-Progreso-Cozumel-Jan30-Feb42010282a.jpg.814b93ec0ffb87e22240845ca9260f80.jpg

1665969070_386a.jpg.c19f59909b019b1520ac657053e3ae34.jpg

125221427_390a.jpg.b0da67460e6f1c1d411fd4e8ed7ce136.jpg

2129337888_397a.jpg.bba5a6ca68b90b1d79f858d648168936.jpgThe first 2 are from the outdoor palm tree sandy area of tables/chairs of Panchos at the Puerta Maya pier (not ON the pier)--waiters come out to take your order when you sit down. Of course, they do have the indoor restaurant right behind there; not sure of what views can be seen from inside. Why eat inside when you can enjoy this gorgeous view with a perfect slight breeze!! We had wonderful fresh fish tacos, chicken quesadillas, and the best ever fresh made salsa. The other pics are from their other "town" location which is inside a building with a beautiful inner courtyard area. The couple in the one pic was playing marimba (sp?) and singing---they were wonderful and so sweet! We loved both locations. Can't remember what we had, just that it was good!

My pics are going haywire; I obviously don't know how to do this correctly! Hope you can tell which ones I'm talking about! :D

Edited by Tennessee Rose