First time Cozumel...Mr. Sanchos, Bar Hop or Chankanaab

Taylor95

We will be in Cozumel for the first time in December and I'm struggling to decide what excursion to pick. Our group is myself, DH, DD (21) and her friend (23).

At first I thought Mr. Sanchos sounded perfect - we love the beach and all inclusive food and drinks would be great. I'm having 2nd thoughts now because for one we have the unlimited drink package on the ship, there is obviously unlimited food on the ship (Cozumel is our last port) and our other three ports are going to be beach type excursions.

Cozumel Bar Hop always has high reviews and I thought seeing the sites on the other side of the island might be good. Although the reviews sound like the tour is fun, I'm struggling to think going to four rustic bars is what I should pick for my first time on the island. Again not sure how much we will be wanting to drink after having the UBP all week on the ship.

Chankanaab sounds like more of a place to go if you have younger kids. Although my "kids" are not young, they do love animals so I considered the manatee and/or sea lion swim, but then what? I know we could snorkel some and look around the area - I'm just wondering if there is enough to fill up the day there.

I'm sure all three would be great, but I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone that has done any or all of them. Also, we are going to Little French Key in Roatan, beach day in Costa Maya (most likely Blue Kay) and undecided yet in Harvest Caye since there is so little info available right now.

On your first trip to Cozumel you always do the Bar Hop. Those are the rules. I don't make the rules, I'm just letting you know.

Plus, you already have beach days at other ports and will want to be in the shade enjoying some cold ones in Cozumel.

:D:D:D

I vote for option #4 - hire a driver for 3-4 hours (rates are posted at the cab stand. Tour the island, including the far side that you would see with Bar Hop, and then have the driver drop you at either Mr. Sanchos (the non-AI side) or The Money Bar - both are pay-as-you-go with no admission fee with good facilities plus Money Bar offers good snorkeling from the shore! :)

I'd recommend the Bar Hop as well, for two reasons. First, the bar hop is a blast! And second, your stop in Costa Maya will undoubtedly be a beach day, so doing another beach day right after would just be repetitive. As mentioned, the bars on the far side of the island don't take cash, so bring plenty with you, including a tip for your guide at the end (they are excellent). It's not particularly expensive anywhere, but drinks at four bars, plus food from at least one, adds up. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

With 4 people we have just hired a private driver for the day and did the same stops as the bar hop--it is cheaper than doing the hop. The beauty of having a driver is that you can do other things too. We stopped at the chocolate factory, had lunch at Playa Bonita (our favorite place to eat) and still had plenty of time at the bars. We also stopped at the local grocery store and had our driver help us pick out vanilla (cheaper than the tourist stops) and saw the sights in the town.

My DH and I are going to Coz in a few weeks and we are booked on the bar hop tour. Looking forward to seeing what all the great reviews are about! We actually ran into the bar hop tour people when we were with our driver and it looked like they were having a blast...

Our last time in Coz we went to Mr Sanchos. Loved the all-inclusive and recommend it.

Guess I'm no help! We love Coz and can't wait to go back!

• 5 weeks later...

My party of 6 just signed up for the Cozumel Bar Hop this morning. We are super excited. I know we are to meet at Senor Frogs near Punta Lagosta for pick-up, but does anyone know where the Hop drops you off at the end? Our ship docks at Puerto Maya.

My party of 6 just signed up for the Cozumel Bar Hop this morning. We are super excited. I know we are to meet at Senor Frogs near Punta Lagosta for pick-up, but does anyone know where the Hop drops you off at the end? Our ship docks at Puerto Maya.

Thru well drop you off at your ship!

Thanks for the above links. Checked them out, not sure if that's my plan. Was in Cozumel last October. Had to goto Senor Frogs as part of our tour itinerary and did not like it. Went to Margharitaville and had a great time. Will gladly go back, but looking for other options.

Thanks for the above links. Checked them out, not sure if that's my plan. Was in Cozumel last October. Had to goto Senor Frogs as part of our tour itinerary and did not like it. Went to Margharitaville and had a great time. Will gladly go back, but looking for other options.

Paradise Beach is very nice. $3 pp to get in with an expectation that you spend $10 pp in food or drink while you are there. Plus, $18 pp if you want to participate in the water sports they have there: inflatables, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, etc.

My husband and I had a wonderful time there last week. Beautiful pool with a bar, great beach, shaded and sunny lounge chairs with umbrellas, cozy hammocks, and a little gift shop. Best value in Cozumel in my humble opinion.

Cab fare is $15 each way from Puerto Maya, a little more from Punta Lagosta.

Here is their website: http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Did you go to these places on your own, or part of a tour?

The bar hop is great fun, (many reviews on this forum if you use the search engine) but nothing like Senor Frogs or Margharitaville. Those venues are both in town. The Hop takes you to the rural east side and I always feel the tour name us a bit if a misnomer.

If you are looking for somewhere more developed with facilities, check out Paradise Beach or Mr Sanchos.

We did Mr Sanchos last month and it was alright. There were 9 of us so we rented a van for $10 per person round trip. Pool was nice, drinks were plentiful although not very strong but I kind of expected that. Wasn't a big fan of the beachy area though. It was like a foot deep and then just dropped off to like 5-6 feet within a few steps.

We are going to check out either the Park Royal or El Cid La Ceiba Resort's day passes when we are back next month. Haven't made an official decision yet but they are both just a short walk from the pier and pictures online look very nice.

Senior Frogs is just the meeting place, not actually part of the tour. We didn't even go into Senior Frogs when we went last time. Does not go to Margaritaville at all....just to local bars right on the beach on the east side of the island.

We have done bar hop two times now and had a blast both times! It's so beautiful on the other side of the island and the food is great! Will probably do it a third time at some point!

• 2 weeks later...