Kauai

Velvet1153

We have a rental car in Kauai and plan on spending some time at a beach. Suggestions for a good one for sunbathing and playing in the water? Also, anything else a "must do" in Kauai? Thanks!

sent from my EVO

Ke'e is the one beach that has been my favorite the past few times to Kauai. It is at the very end at the North end of the island. It is the start of the trail along the Napali coast, good views if you are adventurous for a great hike/views to another more private beach.

Its a nice beautiful drive, you gets great views of the Mountain, the lava caves, but beware that parking is very limited if you don't get there early.

We have a rental car in Kauai and plan on spending some time at a beach. Suggestions for a good one for sunbathing and playing in the water? Also, anything else a "must do" in Kauai? Thanks!

sent from my EVO

I like Anini - beautiful scenery and there is good parking.

It's also always pretty safe for swimming because of the offshore barrier reef.

In winter the south shore beach area at Poipu is good too. It's more developed than Anini - so if you want restaurants etc - it would be a good choice.

North Shore to Hanalei Bay is one of the most beautiful scenic beaches surrounded by mountain range.

Famous for its spectacular beauty, Hanalei Bay is a long half-moon of sandy beach carved into the base of a sheer cliff on one side and narrowing into a rocky point on the other. The beach is a great spot for walking or throwing a Frisbee around. At the westernmost curve of the bay, you'll find a calm shoreline where the water is relatively quiet even when most of the north shore is too rough for safe swimming.

As well if you map out your drive there are a lot of kodak moments along the way such as the taro fileds, see pic

IMG_2377.jpg.6f6457b205155470a7d401bf54a2123a.jpg

sent from my EVO

What time of year? Do you just have one day? When are you off the ship, when are you due back?

You would only have time for one "must do" and they could include a helicopter tour of the Na Pali Coast, a catamaran trip to the Na Pali Coast, a snorkel catamaran trip or a trip to Waimea Canyon.

Which beach would depend on when you will be there.

The north shore beaches are beautiful, but traffic getting there and back can be a problem, as well as parking once you get there. Ke'e beach has the worst parking and it is not for beginners exept in very calm conditions - surf and tides can be very treacherous. Poipu Beach, on the south shore, is closer to the ship and also tends to have more sunny days - the north shore gets more rain.

Archived