Priority Boarding in Fort Lauderdale

Roktory

We Booked a on an upcoming cruise sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. Is there a system for priority check in and early boarding for Deluxe/Neptune suite there? If yes how much earlier do you get on board the ship?

Yep, sure is. Once the HAL reps see that you are a Neptune suite passenger, they will show you what to do. Your boarding pass is the key that they use to sort out the priorities.

We like the S class ships. Normally, timing your arrival to about 1:30 p.m. will get you aboard even faster than priority boarding.

In Dec we were on Eurodam with Priority boarding (Neptune suite). We checked in at the Deluxe suite counter and they told us to take the escalator to the upper level to a large waiting area where all the priority boarders were (there were quite a few - Neptune suites, 4 and 5 stars, and handicapped).

While waiting until 1:30 - 2PM might get you on even faster, we like to get on early, put our carryons in the cabin, sign up for whatever we need to (like the thermal spa, dining reservations, etc) and then go to the Mariner Lunch in the MDR.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

You may "check-in" and receive your cabin keys usually as early as 9:30am. However, actual boarding of all passengers usually doesn't start until 11:30am. As a Neptune Suite guest, you will receive a small plastic card with an "S" (for Suite) as you enter the terminal which will allow you to be in the first group to board the ship when the boarding commences. As has been suggested, arriving at 1:30pm or later usually allows for immediate boarding after check-in as the long lines are gone! The ships sail at 4pm from Ft. Lauderdale so be sure to arrive before 3pm!

We usually get to the pier around 10:45 and wait in line for the doors to open.

Go through security.

Then head to the PD and Neptune check-in lines. Now that 4 and 5 star Mariners can check-in there as well -- the lines get quite long and it does take a while before you can go upstairs to wait to be called to go onto the ship.

The big tie-up at the Suite check-in is that for the 4 and 5 star mariners, the staff has to constantly go over to the other section to get their ID cards.

Boarding in Ft Lauderdale usually starts around 11:30.

You may "check-in" and receive your cabin keys usually as early as 9:30am. However, actual boarding of all passengers usually doesn't start until 11:30am. As a Neptune Suite guest, you will receive a small plastic card with an "S" (for Suite) as you enter the terminal which will allow you to be in the first group to board the ship when the boarding commences. As has been suggested, arriving at 1:30pm or later usually allows for immediate boarding after check-in as the long lines are gone! The ships sail at 4pm from Ft. Lauderdale so be sure to arrive before 3pm!

9:30??

The doors to the terminal don't open until 11 AM.

We have cruised out of Ft Lauderdale dozens of times.

Krazy Kruiser: I guess I should have mentioned previously that I am a HAL check-in agent at Ft. Lauderdale for the past five years. As the terminals that HAL now uses were renovated last summer, the debark and embark are done in two different areas allowing the doors to usually open at 9:30 unless there is a serious delay in unloading the ship from the previous trip.

Krazy Kruiser: I guess I should have mentioned previously that I am a HAL check-in agent at Ft. Lauderdale for the past five years. As the terminals that HAL now uses were renovated last summer, the debark and embark are done in two different areas allowing the doors to usually open at 9:30 unless there is a serious delay in unloading the ship from the previous trip.

In Dec we were in the building about 10 AM, they were delayed a bit due to disembarkation running behind they said.

DaveOKC

We were recently in Ft Lauderdale -- March -- had to use terminal 4???

Everything was a mess!!

Now -- not this recent cruise. But many times when we have done Collectors Cruises we have had bad experiences on Intransit day.

9:30??

The doors to the terminal don't open until 11 AM.

We have cruised out of Ft Lauderdale dozens of times.

We have been checked in as early as 10:00AM at the rear of Pier 26, normally a crew entrance.

Of course, then you wait around on the second level until they begin general boarding.

Well, this sure is something to look forward to.

We've boarded in FLL at least 40+ times and never, not ever, been anywhere near check in at 9:30 A.M. I can hardly wait. :)

Our last embarkation in FLL was about the worst we ever had. :( They were still acclimating to the change in Shore Ops. It did not go nearly as smoothly as we had been accustomed to.

Edited by sail7seas

As this will be our second season in the renovated terminals (4, 19, 21, and 26) hopefully , things will go more smoothly at check-in. Although our work schedules are not assigned until late this summer, I'm hoping to work check-ins for Noordam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. If you travel on one of these, please say "HI"!

As this will be our second season in the renovated terminals (4, 19, 21, and 26) hopefully , things will go more smoothly at check-in. Although our work schedules are not assigned until late this summer, I'm hoping to work check-ins for Noordam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. If you travel on one of these, please say "HI"!

BrightyB, I boarded the Westerdam on 2 December 2012 and it was amazing just how fast we were checked in and up the elevator to the Suite/Handicap waiting area!!! Super fast:)

Only teeny complaint with the newly renovated terminal was that the poor guys and ladies did not know where to set up the refreshments before we boarded the ship, but hey, I am not really not complaining as I knew this was a learning curve:)

I talked with many of you ladies prior to embarking on the Nieuw Amsterdam just one week before (25 November 2012) and do not know if you were one of them that I told, but you ladies and Mark are famous around the world!! We listen to you on the Port Everglades Web Cam's Harbor Traffic (I think it is the VF channel but not positive.) Anyway we listen to you really enjoy learning and listening.

My hats off to all of you and will be looking forward to actually meeting you on 29 November as we prepare to board the Zuiderdam:)

Joanie

:confused: How would we say "Hi"?

We don't know who you are. :D

I do miss some of the folks who used to work Shore Ops that many of us got to know over all the years but were not there this past season. Lovely folks who are missed. Shore Ops was done so well but our last experience was so poorly done.

Edited by sail7seas

I can't wait to read all the posts of you sharing insight and stories... "Stories from the Front Lines!!!"

Exciting!

IRL Joanie and Sail7Seas: I'm the tall, bald guy, usually wearing glasses! My co-workers know me as "Jerry".

Thanks, Jerry.

We'll look for you.

Are you often out front rather than in the terminal?

I think we may have met, more than once. ;)

Have you worked Port Everglades for some number of years?

:confused: How would we say "Hi"?

We don't know who you are. :D

I do miss some of the folks who used to work Shore Ops that many of us got to know over all the years but were not there this past season. Lovely folks who are missed. Shore Ops was done so well but our last experience was so poorly done.

We too, miss many of the familiar faces we have come to know over the years.

There are new faces, but the February group did an equally efficient job.

IRL Joanie and Sail7Seas: I'm the tall, bald guy, usually wearing glasses! My co-workers know me as "Jerry".

Now that I know whom to look for I will say Hi!!!

I will be recognizable because I will be in a Rental Scooter (picking it up at the Special Needs at Sea Kiosk just outside the entrance to the Terminal.) I'll also have a Boston Brace on, which is kind of colorful...Blue with Nova type stars. It sort of looks like I have a Clam Shell on:) Do not believe you will have more than one person that fits the description of me:)

IMGP5262.jpg.aa3f1d5d07b419eb0e1427f739f113d9.jpg

Looking forward to meeting you Jerry!!

Joanie

IMGP5260.jpg.e3622bd35c32057ebab44145b173c5fb.jpg

Sail7Seas: Just completed my fifth season with HAL at Ft.Laud. Spent most of the time at the check-in counter, although we are assigned other duties occasionally. In previous years I did assist in the Luggage Hall at debark and/or assist in loading buses for guests transferring to the airport.

Sail7Seas: Just completed my fifth season with HAL at Ft.Laud. Spent most of the time at the check-in counter, although we are assigned other duties occasionally. In previous years I did assist in the Luggage Hall at debark and/or assist in loading buses for guests transferring to the airport.

Thanks, Jerry.

Disappointed you don't seem to be the gentleman about whom I was thinking. Looking forward to meeting you. :)

• 10 months later...

I am resurrecting this older thread since the original question relates to my upcoming boarding at Port Everglades.

Just to reconfirm a couple of things:

1) This will be our first Neptune Suite. Is it still correct that we should seek out a HAL representative after we drop our bags, and simply show them our boarding pass, and then they will direct us accordingly?

2) What time should we arrive at the port if we want to board early? In some threads I've read that they don't even open the terminal building until 11am, but in this thread there is a comment that you can arrive at 9:30am? We don't necessary want to sit around in the terminal a long time.

We were in a Neptune Suite on the Noordam at the very end of February, sailing out of Port Everglades. Here's the basic procedure:

1) Drop your bags with the porters.

2) Enter the terminal, fill out the CDC form, have your carry on bags scanned, and check in your carry on wine bottles (if applicable.)

3) Get in the Neptune Suites line. (It's well marked, but there is a person to direct traffic.)

4) Check in, get your room keys, and have your ID photo taken. You will receive a boarding card to indicate that you are in a suite.

5) The Penthouse / Pinnacle Suite and disabled guests will board first. Neptune Suite guests will be next.

6) Take the escalator or elevator up to the boarding level.

7) Board ship. Drop carry on bags in your suite.

8) Vacation.

We usually try to time our arrival for around 11:15 am. You don't want to be there too much earlier - unless you enjoy sitting in terminals. ;)