Any one remember the Regal Empress

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed on her i believe in 2000 or 2001 on a 3 night cruise to key west from port manatee. My wifes father crossed the atlantic on her as olympia and immigrated to canada from germany.

Edited by dekostop

I was on her in 99,2000,2001 all private full ship charters, adults only.Billed as "Pillage and Plunder"The Empress also had her wild side on one trip that I was on a full legnth XXX rated movie was shot during a 4 day cruise.

My favorite ship, and I've sailed on QE2 and QM2! My "little Queen Mary" I called her due to the lovely wood paneling, and the cozy alcoves in the Commodore Club. We became good friends with her long time master, Rolf Bassenberg (he was with her since she was converted from Olympia to Caribe I), who remains a friend to this day (just spoke with him last week; 77 and still going strong). He treated us like royalty, and had us to private dinners, the captain's table, to his cabin for drinks, etc. Regal Empress was "real" cruising; pull up a deck chair and read a book as the ocean goes by. She was a "happy" ship, and remains one of the longest sailing passenger ships of all time. For her size, I believe she was the longest sailing. She was a legend.

Did you know, Kasper Scherve (spellling?) was a relief captain on Regal Empress, shortly after he retired and after Regal took over the ship. He was one of the first 3 captains for the first 3 ships of Royal Carribbean. I sailed with him twice, he was was most gracious to have us to his cabin when I requested it, and we spoke for over an hour, and he signed the copy of my book on RCI that was written by the great John Maxtone Graham.

I recall the time that chief engineer, Wulfgang Dusing gave me a complete behind the scenes tour, and I mean complete! Ever see an "anchor chain locker"? I did! I recall the time we were invited to the crew bar in the wee hours of the morning. I could write a book about the great times I had on Regal Empress.

They don't make 'em like her anymore. It's all massive, mass market, thin-hulled, floating resorts now. The Regal Empress cruises were the best value cruises I ever took, with great memories to last a life time. It wasn't just the ship, it was the crew that made the difference!

Many wonderful times on her (I sailed on her a lucky 13 times!).

Edited by loubetti
  • Like 1

I remember her fondly having sailed under the Caribe I and Regal Empress banner. She may have been small compared to other ships out there but none compared to her style & grace. Or service! The Caribe was the first ship I sailed on back in 1988 and I sailed 34 more times on her over the next 10 years. I've kept in touch with many of the crew and entertainers over the years. Sailing on this ship was like visitng old friends & family. Cruises I've taken on newer, larger ships are so very stodgy and not at all personable. There is no chance to get to know staff and crew or feel very "at home".

I knew that she was sold to Majesty but had no idea that she ended up on the scrap heap until I read the other post. It brought tears to my eyes such a cruel ending for such a grand lady.

@loubetti and moulzia52 some artifacts from the empress were salvaged and are for sale. I dont think I can post the link (dont want to violate board rules).one of the things rescued was the painting in the Libary of St Pauls Cathederal.google midships century.

@loubetti and moulzia52 some artifacts from the empress were salvaged and are for sale. I dont think I can post the link (dont want to violate board rules).one of the things rescued was the painting in the Libary of St Pauls Cathederal.google midships century.

Oh, I know what's out there, but my house is too full and my bank account not so full right now!

Thanks for mentioning though. I have the clock from the captain's cabin, but that was given to me years before she went to the breakers!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
I sailed on her i believe in 2000 or 2001 on a 3 night cruise to key west from port manatee. My wifes father crossed the atlantic on her as olympia and immigrated to canada from germany.

We also sail on her out of Port Manatee on our 1st cruise in the 90's. It was a trip to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. At about 8am those wanting to go to Playa got off on a tender in the strait between Playa and Cozumel and you had to take the ferry back over on your own. Me and my wife were the only ones who got off. Everything was closed in Playa so we went to the beach and toured a time share for free breakfast and 2 bottles of liquor.

At the time I remember my 1st impression of the ship was "wow, how huge and majestic". I guess times change

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just had to post this:

Most memorable cruise ever on the Empress. First time for DH on any cruise. He absolutely loved cruising after this trip. And, now is an avid cruiser since the Empress. Sorry to see her go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Our family sailed from Port Manatee (Tampa) for a three day xmas cruise to Cozumel. My memories of that cruise was that my son and I got sick and had to go down to sick bay for the shot. Our sea day was xmas day and we brought a few small gifts for our son to open. Never traveled on xmas again!

• 1 year later...

Hi Garry,

I don't think so, unless you have it commissioned ($$$$). The only model I knew of that probably still exists was the one on the ship herself, and that one was huge! I never saw it for sale after scrapping either, so perhaps the previous owners took it off to display elsewhere (office / home).

How I miss the ol' gal!

"Lou, tomorrow you can leave on a free 7 night cruise. Your choice is Oasis of the Seas or Regal Empress (with captain Rolf on board). Which would you choose?"

Any guesses which one?!!

I took a 7 day western Caribbean cruise out of port manatee on the regal empress back in 2001 I think it was. Was a great cruise. A friend of mine got the cruise as a perk from work but was affriad to cruise so they gave it to me. Which begs the question, what's to be affriad of? Its more dangerous out on US 19 than taking a cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
What feels like a life time ago - or 12-15 years ago my husband and I sailed on a ship called the Regal Empress out of NYC. Anyone else remember this ship?

Yes I loved cruising on that ship. It felt like a big family. Captain Rolf what a great person. My 2 children and I sailed about 5 times a year. 2 days to 7 days. I enjoyed every minute of our time. Does any one know about Captain Rolf. I just found pictures of him and myself the kids. I would love to get in touch with him. If one should know …please let me know.

He would know who I am if my name is mention to him.

Thanks so much

Seeta:)