Need advice for 1st trip to Roatan...

CaribbeanKim

We are a family of 4 traveling on the CCL Legend in June, and could really use some advice &/or suggestions. I have spent hours scouring the boards, and have already gotten loads of ideas for other ports, so I am hoping someone out there can help me out. We are interested in horseback riding in Roatan (and maybe a stop at one of the beaches as time allows). I've read about Barrio Dorcas Ranch and also found a link to Keifitos...which would you suggest is better?

The Legend offers a "Horseback & Tabyana Beach" tour...does anyone know how much they charge if you book this excursion thru the ship...or would you go to their web sites and contract to do it on your own to save a few bucks and be on your own schedule? As I understand it, the horse ride is about 1.5 hours and we'll be in port for 7 hours... (so being on our own schedule sounds really good). Also, do you know how long it takes to get to either Barrio Dorcas or Keifitos from the ship?

Looking forward to all kinds of great advice to start pouring in...

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

We went on a trail ride with Barrio Dorcas three weeks ago and it was awesome! It was 1.5 hours, through West End and along the beach. The beach was lovely and so were the horses. they were well-behaved and well taken care of. Our guide Shirkie did a good job looking after me and my 2 young daughters. We had a great time and I recommend it highly.

We did not book this thru the ship. Instead we took a cab there and back on our own. I do know that there is some sort of arrangement the ranch has with Fosters resort to pick you up at the pier, take you to teh ranch, you ride to Fosters then Fosters takes you back to the ship . The details are on the ranch website. The ranch owner roosmarie was very helpful to me in planning all of this as our arrival time changed by 2 hours and we were on a tight time schedule .

Good luck and enjoy your ride!

I forhot to add, the cab ride was 15 minutes from the ship.

Also, one advantag of not doing it with an excursion is that you will be in a smaller group for the ride, or may even have the ride all to yourselves as we did.

Archived