Hike from visitor center to Mendenhall

Keioki

The trailhead for the falls is rigth below the visitor's center (follow the blacktop path from the bathrooms at the parking lot around the bottom of the visitors center and you're right there).

From the trailhead to the falls, it is 3/4ths of a mile each way. I am an overweight desk jockey and I am able to walk it in about 15 minutes each way between the trailhead and the falls. By the time I take some pictures and some video, the hike usually takes me around 45 minutes total.

It has been 2 years since I made the hike, but the trail is quite easy. The area by the falls was sandy with some uneven terrain, but still very easy to navigate for most people.

When I was in Juneau a few weeks ago, there was some flooding by the glacier and the sandy area by the falls was underwater. I am unsure if this changed that last bit of terrain or not.

I think I read on here the trail is completely open again. Someone who was there in the last few weeks might be able to let you know if the trail changed any.

I was there last week and the trail was open again.

It's ¾ mile each way on a paved surface. The hike back to some may seem a little harder since it's slightly up hill in some spots.

As for how long it could take, it varies on how fast or slow you walk. We strolled going there but walked fast coming back since it was starting to rain.

It was worth the walk.

I was there last week and the trail was open again.

It's ¾ mile each way on a paved surface. The hike back to some may seem a little harder since it's slightly up hill in some spots.

As for how long it could take, it varies on how fast or slow you walk. We strolled going there but walked fast coming back since it was starting to rain.

It was worth the walk.

The Nugget Falls trail is not paved. It is hard packed gravel. Descriptions make a big difference to wheelchair users.

I suggest you allow and hour. It shouldn't be a marathon walk- with a tight time frame.

Budget Queen, I have gotten so much great information from post of yours throughout Cruise Critic. We will be traveling to Alaska for the first time on the Legend, May 18th. While in Juneau, I noticed that you recommend Orca Enterprises for the Whale Watching, and I have contacted them. I also want to visit Mendenhall Glacier that same day. So, should I plan on going to the Glacier early and do the whale watch tour in the afternoon or the reverse? What do you recommend? And is about 3 hours an appropriate amount of time to allow for the visit to the Glacier?

We were there last week on a beautiful day and had complete intentions to walk the trail....but it was closed due to "aggressive bear activity"! Oh well, we will just need to go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Budget Queen, I have gotten so much great information from post of yours throughout Cruise Critic. We will be traveling to Alaska for the first time on the Legend, May 18th. While in Juneau, I noticed that you recommend Orca Enterprises for the Whale Watching, and I have contacted them. I also want to visit Mendenhall Glacier that same day. So, should I plan on going to the Glacier early and do the whale watch tour in the afternoon or the reverse? What do you recommend? And is about 3 hours an appropriate amount of time to allow for the visit to the Glacier?

Depends what you want to do? It sounds like you are interested in more extended hiking? and taking time? 3 hours could also get you a look at the visitor center- small admission fee.

If you happened to want to do the East Loop Trail, then 3 hours is tight.

So based just on those suggestions, I would consider the whale watch first, then leaving your time more open at Mendenhall. With Orca Enterprises, using their drop off, also would involve not using their pick up return, which is an hour later. You would then be getting your own transportation back. Either by bus or calling yourself a cab. Alternatively, you would need to find your own transportation to the glacier, with it much more sensible to go direct between the whale watch and glacier- not go back and forth downtown, adding over an backtracking hour. Depends how YOU wish to use this port time. :)

I am also on this same sailing.

The frowning face, got on here by mistake, and no way to remove it. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Just be aware that another post cites Captain Larry of Orca Tours as receiving a DUI while he was operating a tour.

It seems a conscientious employee notified the Coast Guard while the tour was underway.

Just be aware that another post cites Captain Larry of Orca Tours as receiving a DUI while he was operating a tour.

It seems a conscientious employee notified the Coast Guard while the tour was underway.

Thank You for the "heads up" on this situation. I am waiting to book, but I sense that the business being as well established as it is and its good reputation, that Captain Larry would be replaced and the company will continue to do an excellent tour. I am waiting though, to be sure.

I just did this. It said it was a mile each way from the visitor's center, not 3/4 of a mile.

Wasn't a tough walk, though. It's hard gravel, so it's not wheelchair accessible, but other than that, very easy.

Very nice waterfall at the other end, and it's the closest you will get to Mendenhall without a major hike or taking a boat/plane there.

How long is the hike to the falls from the NPS visitor center? How hard is the hike?

This shows that hike, and that it's a decent road - it was great to stand at the foot of Nugget Falls. Make sure you give bears the right of way :)

If you have time take a look at Steep Salmon Creek too. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

• 2 weeks later...
Thank You for the "heads up" on this situation. I am waiting to book, but I sense that the business being as well established as it is and its good reputation, that Captain Larry would be replaced and the company will continue to do an excellent tour. I am waiting though, to be sure.

According to orca when I called (I'm booked on them as well) captain Larry is still driving the boat and is still on all the tours

There was a thread on it but idk where it went

Edited by cruisee<3

We were there last Wednesday (August 20). The trail is a very easy hike. About 100 feet of it is under about 4 inches of water. We took our shoes/socks off, rolled up our pants and walked through it.

P8190399.JPG

If you want to get to the sand bar at the base of Nugget Falls, you'll need to walk through shin deep water (6 to 10 inches). It's not too bad...at least after your feet go numb. :eek:

This is looking back from the sandbar to the end of the trail.

MB55NKHbP-bU__AczcAIJRNqmH919EvERCSTXAUaVek=w869-h652-no

Edited by lax19

We were there last Wednesday (August 20). The trail is a very easy hike. About 100 feet of it is under about 4 inches of water. We took our shoes/socks off, rolled up our pants and walked through it.

P8190399.JPG

If you want to get to the sand bar at the base of Nugget Falls, you'll need to walk through shin deep water (6 to 10 inches). It's not too bad...at least after your feet go numb. :eek:

Yikes :) I would never have thought it could get like that, and it has completely covered the sand bar too. Great pics !

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

P8190399.JPG

That's absolutely bizarre, because I was just there last Wed as well on the 20th and did not have that water issue. When we started walking down the trail, they had signs out that said caution trail flooded ahead, but there was nothing. When we walked back out, that signage had been removed.

At one point, the trail split and there was a straight trail that went along the water more, and one that bent to the right. We followed that right trail, with basically everyone else, and got there with no wet feet at all?

We were there around 9 am. What time were you there? Did the water rise that fast?

I just did this. It said it was a mile each way from the visitor's center, not 3/4 of a mile.

Yup you're right. I walked this the other day and the sign indeed says 1 mile now. I could have swore it was 3/4ths of a mile when I walked it a few years ago. Thanks for correcting me :)

That's absolutely bizarre, because I was just there last Wed as well on the 20th and did not have that water issue. When we started walking down the trail, they had signs out that said caution trail flooded ahead, but there was nothing. When we walked back out, that signage had been removed.

At one point, the trail split and there was a straight trail that went along the water more, and one that bent to the right. We followed that right trail, with basically everyone else, and got there with no wet feet at all?

We were there around 9 am. What time were you there? Did the water rise that fast?

My bad :o, we were there on the Tuesday the 19th. This proves I had a great vacation...couldn't remember which day it was !!!

Hello, My husband uses a manual wheelchair. Do you think we could do the walk to the falls?

Thanks

Radiance

I honestly think that you could not do this in a wheel chair. The surface is some sort of a hard packed gravel. For the most part, the trail is firm, but there are parts where it seems to get sandy and a bit soft toward the end. At the very end where you can walk to the falls itself has about 10+ yards of uneven rocky surface, plus the area by the falls itself is mostly sand.

Hello, My husband uses a manual wheelchair. Do you think we could do the walk to the falls?
Even if he is not up to it, if it is something that you want to do, he can spend the time up in the visitor center while you take the walk.

It would not be as though you were abandoning him because he could watch the film there and see the exhibits and spend time in the gift shop and chat with the rangers. There are great views around in all directions from up there.

Sometimes there are ranger presentations as well, and he could even watch you along your walk through the telescopes they have set up there, so turn around and wave to him if you do it.