Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, You were wondering about the dog named Roz? I just got a CCI mailing yesterday and whos on the cover...Roz and the little boy who got her. I hope you get the mailing too so you can see them, they are so cute!!

I am taking my dog on Royal Carribean. She is a service dog. The cruise line has a rule that dogs cannot be left unattended in the room? How do they know when service dogs are trained and quiet. Also, RC is different than Carnival. They want me to have all paperwork which is fine but there is a rule:

(b) The animal must be accompanied by a valid certificate which substantiates

that it has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than one (1) month and

not more than ten (10) months prior to importation for the one (1) year vaccine.

For the three (3) year vaccine it must be within no less than one (1) month and

not more than thirty-four (34) months prior to importation into The Bahamas.

My dog always gets a one year on schedule but just got her rabies last Fri and we leave RC on May 21 for the Bahammas. then we need a health certification no more than 48 hours old.

So, I have a RC question and Bahamas question.

Did I say something wrong? :o Last post was on Friday and I posted on Sunday. Just wondered where everyone was. :)

Never! I love to hear from you. I was just kidding! Have you ever felt like you know you're alive and breathing does anybody else? Okay, pity-party over.

How are you? How's Travis and your little critters doing? And, when are you going on that cruise?

Roz, You were wondering about the dog named Roz? I just got a CCI mailing yesterday and whos on the cover...Roz and the little boy who got her. I hope you get the mailing too so you can see them, they are so cute!!

Awwww! I haven't received it yet but I'll keep looking.

I am taking my dog on Royal Carribean. She is a service dog. The cruise line has a rule that dogs cannot be left unattended in the room? How do they know when service dogs are trained and quiet. Also, RC is different than Carnival. They want me to have all paperwork which is fine but there is a rule:

(b) The animal must be accompanied by a valid certificate which substantiates

that it has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than one (1) month and

not more than ten (10) months prior to importation for the one (1) year vaccine.

For the three (3) year vaccine it must be within no less than one (1) month and

not more than thirty-four (34) months prior to importation into The Bahamas.

My dog always gets a one year on schedule but just got her rabies last Fri and we leave RC on May 21 for the Bahammas. then we need a health certification no more than 48 hours old.

So, I have a RC question and Bahamas question.

Princess wanted me to have Brenda [my retired Service Dog] vaccinated within the same guidelines as above.....I refused to over vaccinate her and had my Vet write a descriptive letter about the dangers of doing this and that Brenda was protected as was all other dogs and humans who come in contact with her. I would do the same with my 3 year old Service Dog as well. I vaccinate when necessary and not because a cruiseline/port/airline, etc., "pushes" me to over-vaccinate.

If a particular port refuses you entry without a more recent vaccine than you know is needed and you don't have paperwork from your Vet insisting that your dog is protected, this port may be missed or have someone stay onboard and dog sit.

I'm never crazy about leaving my dog alone in the cabin. Even your "privacy" sign may not be enough to keep the steward out and you wouldn't want the door to be left open and the chance of your dog wandering away.

I always make friends with the crew [who are missing their pets so much] and they love to spend time with my dog partner.

Roz: We are doing. Trav is fitting in at his school. Still struggling with the work. I just think it is something we will have to deal with. Jezzy is getting better and getting socialized with people and other dogs. I am very proud of her. However, yesterday she was in the golf cart with Papa and some fool had his dog off its leash. It came over to the cart and Jezzy went balistic. Papa had ahold of her but for some reason she wasn't having anything to do with the other dog and she ended up biting papa on the arm. Not trying to bite him but she was so excited about getting to the dog, his arm was in the way. Very small puncture wound, he cleaned it immediately and doused it with perioxide. All well today. She is curled up on the end of the couch, next to me right now. Leann Emily is in hog heaven. She loves laying in the front windshield of the motorhome. She can see everything.

I know the feeling of noone even noticing if we are around or not. But this too shall pass.........

OK Gang more news on the home front of Jocko and his helping Veterans. Last update I mentioned a few people and organizations that are helping me yet really could not say allot about it. What I can say now is Blitz and I are going to Utah in July (est) to Best Friends main office to go through a dog handler course to make me not only more effective a handler it will also assist me in getting Blitz better trained to help me. I have decided to name the organization after a former best friend who is currently waiting for me at the Rainbow bridge; the new name is King's Second Chance. The motto is "Because everyone needs a second chance". Again it will pare up shelter dogs who meet specific qualities with Veterans and other needing assistance of those dogs.

Please let me know how you feel about this.... Thanks

kingsmiles.jpg

Edited by guitarest

Roz: We are doing. Trav is fitting in at his school. Still struggling with the work. I just think it is something we will have to deal with. Jezzy is getting better and getting socialized with people and other dogs. I am very proud of her. However, yesterday she was in the golf cart with Papa and some fool had his dog off its leash. It came over to the cart and Jezzy went balistic. Papa had ahold of her but for some reason she wasn't having anything to do with the other dog and she ended up biting papa on the arm. Not trying to bite him but she was so excited about getting to the dog, his arm was in the way. Very small puncture wound, he cleaned it immediately and doused it with perioxide. All well today. She is curled up on the end of the couch, next to me right now. Leann Emily is in hog heaven. She loves laying in the front windshield of the motorhome. She can see everything.

I know the feeling of noone even noticing if we are around or not. But this too shall pass.........

Poor thing, she's so insecure and fearful she didn't mean to bite her beloved PaPa. Isn't that sad for her? With your love and kindness she may one day learn that she doesn't need to react in this way.

Many, many years ago we had a small dog who loved to sit in the window of our motorcoach. He thought he was our lookout!

OK Gang more news on the home front of Jocko and his helping Veterans. Last update I mentioned a few people and organizations that are helping me yet really could not say allot about it. What I can say now is Blitz and I are going to Utah in July (est) to Best Friends main office to go through a dog handler course to make me not only more effective a handler it will also assist me in getting Blitz better trained to help me. I have decided to name the organization after a former best friend who is currently waiting for me at the Rainbow bridge; the new name is King's Second Chance. The motto is "Because everyone needs a second chance". Again it will pare up shelter dogs who meet specific qualities with Veterans and other needing assistance of those dogs.

Please let me know how you feel about this.... Thanks

kingsmiles.jpg

First, I love Best Friends, they're an amazing rescue org. And, I would trust anything that they do. I miss their shows on Animal Planet.

Good luck in your training and thanks for reaching-out not only to our Vets but to all those rescue dogs who deserve to be given a "second chance!"

First, I love Best Friends, they're an amazing rescue org. And, I would trust anything that they do. I miss their shows on Animal Planet.

Good luck in your training and thanks for reaching-out not only to our Vets but to all those rescue dogs who deserve to be given a "second chance!"

When they contacted me I was like Who? No really who are you again; lol. Then I quickly did a search on a name given and Dogtown came up and I was like, OMG.......... Really are you kidding me; in my situation its the best thing that could have happened to this program. With their involvement alone it give King's Second Chance and huge shot in the arm with loads of professional respect. It took me two years to get to the place where I received those two phone calls; and right after those initial calls its been like a tornado in a trailer park. So much activity and honestly it has given me a resource that I can call and question them about their training programs and why something is done a certain way. I have had server books published by Best Friend sent to me in electronic files. I actually had a question for Sherry W about a chapter in one of their books on the topic of aggressive food behavior or guarding food. So I have been handling it a different way all my life showing my dog's who is alpha by removing the food from them. The way they suggest to do it was totally different and I asked Sherry why they do it her way; she replied later today and now it makes sense. Their method is so different from Caesar.

Its been a very long time since I have been this excited about anything and to grasp the situation as it happened; they contacted me since they heard about me. Its amazing for sure since something like this on this level has never happened to me before. All things considered; this was the best thing that could have happened to me and the program; and I am so blessed that it is approved by the VA and I just need to clean house a little more, and continue to find a few still motivated people in this area to lend a hand. Being able to go out to Utah and meet with Sherry one on one and all of her other staff members is beyond my wildest dreams. I also realize that the difficult work is just a few weeks out and that's when its going to take excitement and swap it out with stressful work enviroment of a Fortune 500 company.

All things considered; this was the best thing that could have happened to me and the program; and I am so blessed that it is approved by the VA and I just need to clean house a little more, and continue to find a few still motivated people in this area to lend a hand. Being able to go out to Utah and meet with Sherry one on one and all of her other staff members is beyond my wildest dreams. I also realize that the difficult work is just a few weeks out and that's when its going to take excitement and swap it out with stressful work enviroment of a Fortune 500 company.

Again, good luck to you in your new endeavor.

Happy Mother's Day! :)

(Even if you do not have children, you probably have influenced a child in some way!)

Thank you.......Happy Mother's Day to you and everyone.

I spent mine with my son and his family. He gave me a card that had me fill-up with tears. It really spoke to our relationship and was so moving and meaningful. I have two daughters whom I adore but my relationship with my son is truly special. He's a wonderful man and an amazing father to watch with his own children.

One day I'll share my story with my son. I'll just tell you a bit; he came into our lives at the age of 4 years. He was abused and abandoned...he is now a successful adult; graduated from USC with a double master's and runs his own solar energy company, working with Bill Clinton and the Calif. Legislature in saving our environment. He's quite a guy.

There's a thread on the Carnival boards about someone using a dog for "sleep apnea." They say the dog barks continuously until the person wakes up and that the person takes the dog [small poodle-type dog] into the buffet area where she swipes her finger into a cake and lets the dog lick the icing off her finger.

They talk about why is the dog being taken into these areas when it's obviously not working and being utilized there? Very interesting.

This is similar to the woman who was carrying around what she said was her husband's seizure alert dog. The dog wasn't near her husband and seemed to make the woman feel better more than it did any kind of "alerting!"

I wish the public would "STOP" abusing Service Dog accessability laws.

I, personally, am going to call folks "out" if I think they're being abusive and hurting my rights to continue to cruise and have access as needed.

There's a thread on the Carnival boards about someone using a dog for "sleep apnea." They say the dog barks continuously until the person wakes up and that the person takes the dog [small poodle-type dog] into the buffet area where she swipes her finger into a cake and lets the dog lick the icing off her finger.

They talk about why is the dog being taken into these areas when it's obviously not working and being utilized there? Very interesting.

This is similar to the woman who was carrying around what she said was her husband's seizure alert dog. The dog wasn't near her husband and seemed to make the woman feel better more than it did any kind of "alerting!"

I wish the public would "STOP" abusing Service Dog accessability laws.

I, personally, am going to call folks "out" if I think they're being abusive and hurting my rights to continue to cruise and have access as needed.

I saw that thread too and can't quite figure out how a service animal can help with sleep apnea. Leo has it and his sleep study found he stopped breathing more than 20 times per hour--how could any animal alert that many times per hour for eight hours every night? And even if they do alert you, what good does that do? The point of treatment for sleep apnea is to stop the episodes (thorough use of a C-PAP or other breathing machine), not to wake you up when the episodes happen.

I saw that thread too and can't quite figure out how a service animal can help with sleep apnea. Leo has it and his sleep study found he stopped breathing more than 20 times per hour--how could any animal alert that many times per hour for eight hours every night? And even if they do alert you, what good does that do? The point of treatment for sleep apnea is to stop the episodes (thorough use of a C-PAP or other breathing machine), not to wake you up when the episodes happen.

The visual of this little dog going over to the person and "yip-yapping" his little heart out, whilest the neighbors, who are being subjected to the noise are ready to pull their hair out, is not very funny!!!!!!!

I don't understand either how helpful this dog is for this apnea sufferer.

I think when my daughter's service dog (Orson) retires, I'm going to keep one of his vests and use him as my 'service dog". I will tell people on cruises he is my "food alert dog". He let's me know when I'm eating too much. If I do he makes me walk him around the ship and doesn't let me get on the elevators. :D

I think when my daughter's service dog (Orson) retires, I'm going to keep one of his vests and use him as my 'service dog". I will tell people on cruises he is my "food alert dog". He let's me know when I'm eating too much. If I do he makes me walk him around the ship and doesn't let me get on the elevators. :D

That is so funny.....the problem with this is, you'd better stay in good shape or people will comment about how your "alert dog" is not working.

You're too funny!

How old is Orson? Is he ready for retirement?

I don't know if I just got lucky or it's pretty common for the retiring dog and the "Successor" to become good friends. But my girl and boy really like each other.

Brenda and Horton are so cute together. It's not as if they'll sleep together [brenda won't sleep with anyone], she's pretty independent about her couch and Horton is very respectful of not treading on it. They just love to see each other at the end of the day and in the morning they greet each other with pure joy.

Brenda was never one to interact with other dogs much and, they would keep their distance from her.....I guess it's the pack mentality. They know when someone can or cannot be pushed. Horton lumbers his way around her with his huge body and tail.......she just sits back and watches him do the "Horty Hussle!" He'll prance/dance/leap and lope around until he runs out of steam and then he'll head for his bed and just stare at everyone. Such a charachter! :p

Horton will go straight into my bed at the end of the day and wait for me......I love it. He got what I wanted from the get-go!

Life is good with Horty and Brenny. Brenny will celebrate her 12th birthday next month and I pray that she's with us for many more. :)

That is so funny.....the problem with this is, you'd better stay in good shape or people will comment about how your "alert dog" is not working.

You're too funny!

How old is Orson? Is he ready for retirement?

Orson will be 6 next month. He still has a few good years in him. It doesn't seem like we have had him for 4 years.

Orson will be 6 next month. He still has a few good years in him. It doesn't seem like we have had him for 4 years.

He's young. Yep, you do have quite a few more years - depending on him.

I hate it when people ask how old Brenny is and when I tell them they always comment on how she's at the end of her life........:( I know it, I don't need to be reminded.

I can't even imagine my world without Brenda in it!!!!!! :o

So I need you LA people to look for Cooler....I'm missing her lately. If you see a good looking yellow lab hanging out in Starbucks it just might be her. And she would have her BFF person with her.

Just kidding about the stalking, but I do miss her and know she is doing great with her people.

Mackey and I went to the movies yesterday and both fell asleep! I don't know what that says about the movie, but I am glad he was calm

Looking forward to our cruise in September.

Single black female seeks companionship, ethnicity unimportant. I am a very good looking girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods, riding in your pick-up truck, hunting, camping, fishing trips, and cosy winter nights lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hands. Rub me the right way and watch me respond. I'll be at the front door when you get home from work; wearing only what nature gave me. Kiss me and I'm yours. Call (404)875-6429 and ask for Daisy.

Over 15,000 men found themselves talking to the Atlanta Humane Society about an 8 week old black Labrador.

So I need you LA people to look for Cooler....I'm missing her lately. If you see a good looking yellow lab hanging out in Starbucks it just might be her. And she would have her BFF person with her.

Just kidding about the stalking, but I do miss her and know she is doing great with her people.

Mackey and I went to the movies yesterday and both fell asleep! I don't know what that says about the movie, but I am glad he was calm

Looking forward to our cruise in September.

If I see her I'll let you know. No sightings yet!

That's so funny about falling asleep in the movie, which one was it? And, it's a true testament to your good training as to how quiet Mackey was.