For those of you who watch when cabin prices go down...

tofubeast

So I booked through an online travel agent this morning to go on Galaxy next May, and they say they will lower prices if they go down. As I have never done this, I have a quick question...

How do I do this?! I know I have to go to the Celebrity site and monotor the price there. And if it goes down, do I wait until it is lower than the price I paid or just lower in general? I only ask this lame question, because I got a good rate and I don't know if it is normal for it to go lower than that. I always read that some of you are able to lower your remainder payments...so I just want to know the ins and outs of doing this.

Thanks! You are all so helpful. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

danielle

Galaxy 5/23/05~~honeymoon!
Century 5/24/03
Majesty of the Seas 6/3/02
Chandris Victoria Summer 1984
SS Poseidon: New Year's Eve 1972 (haha)

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;5;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] till I cruise for my honeymoon!!

Some of us have Travel Agents that we've been using for years and we've developed a bond. Our TA is a treasure and she watches our fares with the tenacity of a guard dog and we "know" we're getting the best and lowest prices. (Yes, I keep a faithful watch BUT, I have yet to call our TA to aware of her the price drop). The point is, make friends with your TA and they will take care of you in the long run.
If you used an agency (online or local) and it's your first time, it's up to you to keep an eye on the price and call your booking travel agent to aware him or her of the change. If they balk for any reason, then you may want to reconsider using them in the future. We went through 4 agents in the past 10 years. We love our current agent and unless she quits the business, she will have our business until we're too old to cruise! I hope that answers your question and I haven't confused you. Good luck with your price drop!

Joe

I booked with cruisequick..and they say they watch for dropped prices, but it is best for us to keep on eye. So I just want to know how to keep and eye.. and what is considered a price drop...see above question.
i.e. anything lower than what is on there now.. or anything lower than what I paid. Does that make sense? I know this is probably THE stupidest question posted on here. I am laughing as I type this! ehehe.

Century 5/24/03

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;5;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] till I cruise for my honeymoon!!

Just keep a little not to yourself on what the price was on the Celelbrity website the day you book your cruise if the price on the website goes down, then contact your TA, because that means the price of the cruise has come down. I have found it is up to us the cruisers to monitor the prices as TA as a rule will never come forth with "well the cruise is now less money, let me refund you" I have had to be insistent and have gotten money back or shipboard credit even after final payment.

norm

Thanks! My question is answered. I have written down the price and will watch like a hawk! hehe. Every bit of $$$ helps when there is a wedding to pay for as well!

Century 5/24/03

I understand better now, my only answer (given your reponse) is to throw a question back to you: "What's it worth to you?". In other words, some people will fight for literally a dollar price change. Obliviously, if the price change is over $50 then it's worth your effort to call your booking travel agent and ask for the price change. As far as "how" - keep checking both the Celebrity site and if your travel agency has on-line booking, keep price checking that way. Also, one last tip - price shop online, IF you happen to find a lower cost at another agency (meaning the same ship, same sailing date, and same cabin category) then ask your current travel agent to price match. In order for a TA to price match, they usually want "proof" of this lower price and then you can either email the website or quote you received and the TA will either match the price (if they really want your business) or they will explain why the other agency price APPEARS lower.

For example, one agency might include insurance in their quote and other may not...this will give you a huge price difference! So, just be sure all things are "equal" before asking for the price match.

I hope I clarified things a bit. Happy Cruising!

Joe

I print out the pages from the Celebrity website showing the prices with and without air (Our TA books our cruise with air and then cancels the air if we can do better.)
Sometimes Celebrity will run an air special for your area and you can get an adjustment for the air portion if the cruise is booked with air. That happened to us on our transatlantic last year. When we booked our cruise the air was $699 per person, Celebrity had an air special for $200 pp. Our TA called Celebrity and got us the lower air price.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92
Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93
Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95
Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99
Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01
Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03
Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

I have a question - I probably did something not too smart - I booked directly with Celebrity. Now I've been price shopping and see that the travel agents, almost all of them, are lower than booking directly with Celebrity. First of all, I am amazed that the travel agencies can give a better deal than going direct. But, now what do I do? We're paid in full. Will Celebrity price match the travel agencies or did I just learn an expensive lesson for next time? HELP if you have suggestions.

It depends, whenare you cruising, if it is at least 70 days out, then you can tell Celebrity that you are giving it to so and so TA and, work it out with them or cancel cruise with Celebrity, and get your money refunded and rebook with the TA that offers you a lower price.

norm

Here's my dilemma (sp) When I go to the Celebrity site, they say that there are not any cabins in my selction choice so therefore, they do not show the cost and I am unable to check if there is a price decrease. Last year I watched the prices and got a 600 dollar rebate and an upgrade when prices dropped but I seem to be having trouble with the site this year.

If there are no more cabins in the category you booked, then they wouldn't reduce the price because they are not selling them anymore.

However, keep watching for any cancellations and maybe the price will be lower the closer you get to your cruise.

There are some categories, such as the FV's that never see a price reduction because there are so few of them and they are booked way ahead of sail date. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

Archived