Should we be worried? Travel Warning

nps001

All over the news, it is being reported that the US government is set to announce travel warnings for Europe starting tomorrow due to a "credible but non specific threat"

We leave a week from today and will be in Barcelona for 3 days before embarking on Century for 12 nights.

We are on the Equinox for it's Trans Atlantic out of Rome the 31st of October. We are going. Not going to worry about it. I think everything will be fine. It has gotten to the point where travel is a hassle and nothing is really safe. Just the same, we have to keep living and enjoying ourselves as much as possible. This is not a dress rehersal! :o

Do you have any more specific information? Perhaps only certain countries are included in the travel warnings? If the cruise lines believe it is a safety issue, they will cancel their scheduled cruises for the time being (The Xpedition sailing was canceled for this week due to the unrest in Ecuador). I would trust the cruise line, if they feel it is safe, I will go.

All over the news, it is being reported that the US government is set to announce travel warnings for Europe starting tomorrow due to a "credible but non specific threat"

Travel warnings for an entire continent - 50 countries?

They really have won haven't they?

Well I live in Europe and tomorrow I'll get up, pop into town, have lunch at a local pub, go shopping, come home and have a bottle of wine. Having gone through the 70's and 80's seeing the result of IRA bombings regularly on the news a threat only becomes 'credible' when it goes bang. :cool:

Don't worry - if it's going to happen it will, chances are though that it won't. Chicago Boy has it right.

N

It is a hard call to make....obviously , they wouldn´t make that kind of warning unless there was a serious reason behind it , considering the economic implications.

As for Spain , there was the terrible attack in Madrid on March 11 , on the trains.

It is hard to weigh risks...before going on our Antarctica cruise , I read several very scary articles about the very real possibility of a cruise ship having an accident with no possibility (due to the location-2 days away to nearest land)of rescuing the passangers until it was too late . I was planning to travel with my children-when I read those articles , I got such a bad feeling.

But , I decided to go anyway...and had a wonderful time. I guess you just have to embrace whatever decision you make and be aware that life is full of unknown and very real risks. We have to plunge ahead....

Kim

Well, I think the cruise lines should HIGHLY discount all the remaining Med cruises for this fall so I can book one. . .:rolleyes:

YES!! I like that idea.

Seriously folks Mexico is way more dangerous but I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise there or in Europe at this point either.

The terrorists truly have won when we all start cowering in fear! The car ride to the airport is more likely to result in fatalities than anything else!

Jeff

YES!! I like that idea.

The terrorists truly have won when we all start cowering in fear! The car ride to the airport is more likely to result in fatalities than anything else!

Jeff

Agree! The terrorists want to make people so afraid that daily activities are affected. Don't let them get away with it! Travel, be cautious, and don't hide away in your house.

IMHO, Barcelona wouldn't be high on the targets I would think anyone would hit.

Actually, Spain had several terrorist attacks in recent years. There are no truly safe places in the world anymore but we still need to live our lives fully and not let fear win.

We leave a week from today and will be in Barcelona for 3 days before embarking on Century for 12 nights.

I would have no compunction not to go to Europe now.

I would avoid Mexico...

I am not even scheduing trips there anymore.

YES!! I like that idea.

Seriously folks Mexico is way more dangerous but I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise there or in Europe at this point either.

Jeff

You are right. Mexico is far more dangerous than Europe but that doesn't keep us from going to Puerto Vallarta for the winter. So far so good. No problems. Of course there is a strong military and police presence in the city. We come back from our Trans Atlantic cruise the 15th of November then head off to Puerto Vallarta.:)

Oh boy....I live in Europe and will be in Mexico this winter.!!!!

Am I afraid???? No certainly not.

Europe is a large continent, Mexico is a large country, both have enough safe places. Of course nobody in life gets guarantees onothing will happen, not even in your home town.

I get the impression the US government wants people to stay in their own country and spend their money there.

They seem to forget that even in the USA bad things have happened....

American and UK officials are understood to have been in contact over the possibility of a broad alert being issued as early as today that would have significant implications for tourism across Europe. High-profile tourist sites and transport hubs are expected to be highlighted as potential targets......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/03/americans-europe-terror-alert-warning

This is what the NY Times says today:

The decision to caution travelers comes as counterterrorism officials in Europe and the United States are assessing intelligence about possible plots originating in Pakistan and North Africa aimed at Britain, France and Germany.

A travel alert would merely urge extra caution during a specific time and would not discourage Americans from visiting Europe.

Like in every situation in life you should be aware of what is going on around you, It doesn't mean you stay at home and worry. Life is to short for that. S--T HAPPENS. Driving every day people get hurt walking, home accidents, so don't be scared away by cowards. Have a great cruise. and if you still don't want to go send me your tickets I'll go for you. LOL

LOL, nothing to worry about at all. Think it through a bit and you'll realize this. You'll be fine.

The UK terror alert was and still is 'Severe', but so what. You won't find many Brits letting their travel plans be disrupted............these increased US warnings are an ideal opportunity to pick up some cheap deals.

That is a helpful alert along with:

-danger of earthquake in South America

-possible hurricane in the Caribbean

-possible car crash in California

-potential lightining strike in Florida

I understood that this latest threat may mean we have to go to the added precaution of taking our shoes off upon boarding and disembarking our ship.

Having just returned from a med cruise (uk resident so no flying) I can assure you that the security levels were already increased on line with all other international travel.

The screening was higher than we have experienced in boarding in both Europe and the US (DH indeed had to remove his shoes, belt etc) but then this I would never object to as it if for our safety.

I would encourage a reasonable response to this warning. Unfortunately terrorism is a risk we are all faced with but the perceived risk is (as so many others have posted) far greater than the reality.

If I had stopped everything due to perceived risk I'd never have flown to America (2 weeks after 9/11) I'd never have swam in the red sea in egypt, or seen ephasis in Turkey, or survived in my job which requires me taking a train to central London every month.

Stay vigilant, look out for each other and travel safely

Rachel

X

Archived