Port of jacksonville-where to watch ships leave

if I were going to try I'd head for one of the rest' near the landing for the Mayport Ferry, on the south side of the river. Very near the USCG base, I've eaten there a few times. Do note that the cruise ship needs to travel about 15 miles down river to reach this point.... Plan your time accordingly. About an hour after the ship leaves the pier I'd guess....assuming departure from the new cruise terminal @ 9810 August Drive.

Downtown Jax is a good 15 miles inland, and nearly 24 miles via the winding river....took a ship all the way up to Jack' Landing one time ....

In HockeyAddict's review, she mentioned her parents watching Fascination going under the bridge. (sorry, don't know the directions.) They took a video (link in quoted post below).

Somewhere between ordering more DOD's and before we moved, Steve took a pic of me and the funnel. I don't know what it is but the funnel is my favorite thing to take pics of.

DSC_0031.jpg

So we're starting to move!! First we have to make a U-Turn. A big U-Turn. That was pretty cool! Slowly we saw the Dames Point Bridge coming closer and closer and closer....

closer...

DSC_0047.jpg

Time to see how close of a call we can have. There was someone with a microphone on the Lido deck telling everyone to see if we can make it... it may be too high....

DSC_0048.jpg

It's cutting it close!!

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

My mom and dad came back for sail away and went under the dames point bridge to watch. He video taped it. If you want to see it, he has it at this link: http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/Saito56/?action=view&current=e6882241.pbr It's funny because there's a couple of us that has watched us and you can hear me screaming.

We hung out by the funnel talking and having some DOD's and I was snapping pictures of all the troubles being left behind.

I live in Jax and I can help!

The best spot to watch the ship leave is at Huguenot Memorial Park. Take Hecksher drive all the way down a ways (not sure on miles, you can mapquest it from the port address) and it will be on your right. You cant miss it. Its $3.00 per car entry. Inside the park, park at Sharky's (food hut) and sit on the beach facing Mayport Naval Base. (cant miss it, huge naval ships on opposite side) The cruise ship passes right infront of you. This park is at the end of the river where it runs into the ocean so you will most likely see the ship turn too. If you go to coj.net and do a search of recreational parks, it will give you a map.

SINGLETONS!!! LOVE SINGLETONS!!!!!!!

I have gone to singletons since I was a little kid! Great food!!

If you want to stop on your way to see the ship leave, take the ferry across the river. Singletons is right next to the ferry port. Plenty of parking! Singleton's is a shack, its old but its got great food!

The ferry will be off of hecksher BEFORE you get to huguenot park on your right. Cant miss it. (Ferry signs) http://www.stjohnsriverferry.com/

When you are done eating, get back on ferry to head to huguenot park. Or if you would like to stay on that side where singletons is, take a Right turn from singletons and head down the road a ways until you see some small beach sections where you can drive onto. Most of these are shoulder parking, some you can drive out on but that depends on the tide. I would say go to huguenot!! And again I would recommend taking the ferry. Its a nice short ride and you can get out of your car on the ferry. Bring chairs to huguenot if you do go!!

One more thing, my directions are all from HECKSHER DRIVE, not coming from the mayport area/side.

Dont know where you would be coming from while you are in town but Hecksher is on the Northside of the Dames point bridge. Look it up on a map. I dont know of a place to watch it go under the bridge...most of that area is residential. If you happen to go over the bridge at all, you can look northwest and see the ship down a ways.

Need any other answers, let me know!

Thanks for the directions...we have been on that drive because we went to Singletons and took the ferry back over to Hecksher....so kinda know where you are....have you ever been to the Sandollar on Hecksher to eat???? they say they have a view of the water....or we may go early to eat a late lunch at Singletons then go to the park.

Thanks again,

Lou

I have been to the sandollar once. I, personally, will not go back. The food was great but the service (when we went) was horrible.

We had heard so many good reviews from friends about it but we just had a bad experience. This was about 2 years ago, so hopefully its gotten better. But this is just one opinion. You might have great service.

From what I remember, yes you would be able to see ships that pass.

Oh so you have been to Singletons. Not sure if you remember but I will tell you that yes you can also see ships pass there too however you do have shrimp boats that dock there and will block some of your view.

Glad to hear you know the area I was talking about. As I was typing it, I could clearly see it but wasnt sure if you would be able to visualize it the way I was! LOL

Since we are going to the Riverside Arts Market that Saturday morning for the afternoon just thought a late lunch/early dinner then watch the ship from some point....back to The Landing ... we are staying at the Omni.

Since we have been to Singletons and enjoyed it...."the shack".....then can take the ferry across or watch the ship then take the ferry across....can always drive back from Mayport.

Pretty good with directions and navigation once I have been somewhere....and we have been in that area once to see the daughter....she just moved from the airport area to the Riverside area.

Lou

Riverside arts market is great! I'm glad the overpass shades it because it is HOT down here!

Its a shame the ship doesnt go that way (towards the landing). If it did, you would have a perfect spot!

I used to live by the airport as well. That is how I know that area. We still go to huguenot all the time. Best place to go to the beach if you ask me!

Well have a safe trip down here in August! If you need any other advice, let me know!

Archived