Golden Secrets?

llarosa

Ok - I borrowed the idea from the questions on the Grand and the Coral... but what ARE some secrets about the Golden that you wish you knew before you arrived? This is our first Princess Cruise and we want it to be special!

We found the aft pool on the golden was a "hidden secret". It is an adults only pool and not as large as the others. There were very few people there and always lounge chairs available. Kind of tricky to get ther. I remember we had to go up a flight of stairs then down to the pool level.

Funny, that was also the secret I was going to share!! Great little spot. Never had to fight the crowds or search for a lounge. Have been on the Golden 3 times and the aft pool remains my favorite spot on board.

The other secret.........the coffee.........it's a mystery blend..........so the most important secret I can share is to tell you to drink the coffee in the bars and lounges because it is fresh brewed...........but NOT in the diningroom, the buffet or room service. This is my only complaint about princess.......the buyers must be tea drinkers because they sure don't know how to select coffee. Having said that ........I would sail Princess again in a flash.......and I am........we are booked for a transatlantic on the Golden in Aug.

Oh, you are so right luvs. The coffee is the worst I have ever tasted, truly.By the last day of the cruise I just had juice in the morning. I couldn't take one more cup of that stuff. That is the only complaint I have from the whole cruise.

Speaking of coffee, on deck 5 the lobby bar makes to order Latte's, espressos, etc. for about $3.00 each. Well worth it for those who cannot take the syrup coffee.

Also be sure to go to Skywalkers it is such a beautiful view of the wake from the ship, especially at night. Be careful as only some of the aft elevators go up to deck 17.

I personally enjoy spending the $20 and indulge in a nice dinner at Sabatini's. It is quiet and offers delicious italian/seafood dishes and is a welcome change from the hussle and bussle of the regular dining room.

The back pool as mentioned is a good find although the sun is sometimes hidden behind Skywalkers, the front lotus spa pool also limits children certain hours which I believe is 12-3 and it has a swim against the wave pool, which is unique.

The other secret.........the coffee.........it's a mystery blend..........so the most important secret I can share is to tell you to drink the coffee in the bars and lounges because it is fresh brewed...........

This seems to be the only constant negative about Princess :eek: . I'm taking my coffee maker, because I can't fathom a week of bad coffee (my DH thinks I'm loony, but I know he'll be glad once we're there).

Is the coffee in the bars/lounges complimentary? I realize that in the specialty coffee place you do have to pay, of course, but how about just a cup of regular coffee? And would I just go up to the bartender and ask for 2 coffees, black? Sorry if it's a dumb question :o but I've never ordered coffee in a bar :D .

Love all the tips! Keep 'em coming!

Getting ever closer to my first Princess cruise...

Tupelohoney:

Yes the aft pool is accessible from Aloha Deck, short stairway right at the end of the starboard corridor. Used it many times. Also accessible from both decks above but stairs lead down from these decks. You can also go through Horizon Court and out onto the terrace are above the pool.

Steve

I vote for thet back terrace pool, can't be beat! No matter what time of day I stopped by the lobby bar there were always seats available! Not a big area but for some reason people just didn't go there and I thought a great spot for people watching, listening to the piano, to take a break from the outdoors.

Susie

I'll add my voice to the people talking about the aft pool. It's not very busy during the day, but if you're looking for swimming solitude, it's DESERTED after dinner. There may be one or two people back there during the night. The jacuzzis on the higher decks (one overlooks the pool, and tends to be "busiest", there's at least one more just around the corner that's almost always empty after dinner) are great at night too - you can have one almost to yourself after hours.

If people find the wake to be comforting, and you also like solitude, the promenade deck is a great place to stroll around at night (even during the day), there's rarely anyone out there, and almost no one at the back. Grab a mug of whatever interests you, and head to the back of the promenade deck and watch the wake pass by. It's the most relaxing thing I've ever done!!!

If you're looking for a quiet place to relax and read/nap/scenery watch, etc. during the day, Skywalkers is a fantastic spot - no one is ever in there, and you have the comfy couches all to yourself, plus the view outside is SPECTACULAR!!!

And if you're as much of a geographical weiner as I am, you can watch one of the in-cabin channels to see where the ship is, where you've travelled, the speed, sea conditions, etc. I was hypnotized by that channel - and if you're on the promenade deck outside and see an island you want to identify, just walk inside to the photo desk, and a TV that's in the wall has the same info running nearly 24/7.

Enjoy your cruise! Boy I miss the Golden!!!

-bb123

Our group of experienced golfers tried minigolf. It was an experience of it's own! We had a great time and laughed like crazy. The sea was a little rougher that day and the wind was blowing. It definitely made a difference on the minicourse. It was a rolling course.

If you want to play to score well....don't play. If you want to have fun, give it a try.

The first time we got on course with no problem. Another time we left because it was too crowded.

Let's keep the course our secret;)

What cabins was everyone in. We have an outside caribe deck C259. I am just trying to find out how rocky it will be. The movement does not bother me, but I have some people with us that it does bother. How are the balconies on that level?

Norske

When I went into Skywalkers during the day, there was no one checking IDs on the way in. Granted I certainly look older than 18, and I can't say for certain that they'll let anyone in during the day, but I don't even remember anyone being at the bar during the day, so I imagine that anyone can come in.

Minigolf was deserted when my wife and I played... but I'd seen times where there were groups of people up there playing.

I have played there 4 times on 2 different cruises and was not impeded by the play of others. In part, it is mildly difficult to locate on the ship and I surmise that this is a contributing factor in its use. In addition, it is easy to start playing midcourse and replay the earlier holes if the need should arise.

Archived